Google's new ads policy

I’m not sure how about “backpressed” ads… On Google Help page there is info only about home button: https://services.google.com/fh/files/helpcenter/playpolicy-ads04.gif . I think that showing ads on back button pressed is only prohibited when you show apps out-of-app… When you are in app - the back button can be part of your app, so you can decide if you want to show ad on the button press… Of course I’m not sure, but I hope that it’s true:P Let’s wait for ad networks reps

Hello,

I’ve read new policy and think that:

1. You can show interstitial after user clicks button in your app.

They have written that:
“Ads must not simulate or impersonate the user interface of any app, notification, or warning elements of an operating system. It must be clear to the user which app is serving each ad.”
and
“The question mark icon in this app is an ad that takes the user to an external landing page.”

They’ve written “is an ad”, not “triggers an ad” or “shows an ad”.

However, i’m not sure what about buttons like “more games”, “more apps” - they can take user to external landing page, or google play page. Are such button ads?

1. You can show interstitial after back button if back button moves between activities or screen in game.

They have written:
“Ads associated with your app must not interfere with other apps, ads, or the operation of the device, including system or device buttons and ports. This includes overlays, companion functionality, or widgetized ad units. Ads must only be displayed within the app serving them.”

“Ads that are triggered by the home button or other features explicitly designed for exiting the app”

This is not about navigating (also with back button) in your app / game. It’s about closing functionality which is provided by operating system / device. You aren’t allowed to interfere with that.

Anyway, this new policy is quite confusing. This is very bad. They should write it clearly and leave no areas for interpretations.

Hi everyone,

Allow me to chip in to this conversation. The rules regarding ad placement have not actually changed much from what they were before, but the [b][b]Google Play Developer Program Policies[/b][/b]-page has been updated and redesigned to give more clarity and transparency to developers.

You will now find on the page screenshot examples of what some of the rules mean. Exit ads have not been allowed by Google for a long time. As a general rule, any ad that disrupts the use of the mobile device is not allowed. If you click on the back button which is supposed to bring you to the start screen of your phone, but instead you see an ad, this means the back button is not allowed to do its function.

This doesn’t mean that interstitials within the app are not allowed. As long as the interstitial can be closed and you are not forcing the user to click on it, or click on the back button to exit the ad, it’s fine.

As to inappropriate ads, at AdBuddiz we use Ad Content Rating filters. You need to set the filter to match your app’s maturity level (not higher nor lower). Most reliable ad networks should provide a similar function.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Clara

Is it allowed in new policy Clara ?

Here’s a thought tho…
What about games with disabled onBackPressed button?

Any update on how to display the Interstitial ad’s ? We have to remove the Interstitial ad’s which back from previous activity ?

I think we should remove exit ads on back pressed like it is was and is in policy in admob(when someone exit from app , avoid it by dialogs ex. do you really wanna exit from app etc. is risky I think), but between activity should be ok , but im not 100% sure oc :stuck_out_tongue:
Where are homies from ad networks? ^^ We are waiting for your opinions .

After reading Google policy.
I think interstitial between two activities by onbackpressed is allowed.
What is not allowed is showing interstitial at the time of exiting app by backpress and home screen button.
Correct me if m wrong .

https://play.google.com/intl/en-US/about/monetization.html#ads-policy

"Here are some examples of common violations:

-Ads that display outside of the app serving them:
Description: The user navigates to the home screen from this app, and suddenly an ad appears on the homescreen.

-Ads that are triggered by the home button or other features explicitly designed for exiting the app:
Description: The user attempts to exit the app and navigate to the home screen, but instead, the expected flow is interrupted by an ad."

How we have to show the privacy policy to the user ?

Yes, it is allowed.
If the user clicks the back button and stays within the app, you can show an ad.
What is not allowed is to show an ad after a user closed the app.
I hope it helps.

Got a satisfied answer.
Thanks Clara

Guys, nothing has changed regarding the exit ad… you can still show an ad when click on back button always that the ad shows in the context of the app… so you need a correct implementation with callbacks… which is not allowed is showing an ad when pressing home button (as you interfere in system actions)

maybe this is a good thing… I do hope after 30 days, google will take some actions, and low quality apps are all given warning or removed.

Can anyone confirm this?

I do not have real exit ads, but I have exit ‘cross selling’; I propagate my own apps on exit with an interstitial. Would advertising one’s own apps on exit also be considered as 'interfering with device functionality?

As I understood correctly from new policy it’s not correct…user should exit from app when he presses back button on home screen …correct me if I am wrong ?..

Ya obviviously.
You can only show interstitial or your own ad page within the app.
When user is trying to go to the home screen from first activity then no interruptions should occur to the user.

Thats not completely right… google doesn’t know when is your first activity or not… home button should not be overrided, always that the user press the home button, wherever he is it should still minimize the app and show the home screen… back button is different, you can override but if you show an ad when back button is pressed you need to make sure that the ad will show in the context of your app, if the ad is shown in the home screen of the user your app will be probably banned, nothing has changed , it was always like this since long ago…

I think showing ad when pressing back button from first activity is also not allowed …they mentioned and i quote “Ads that are triggered by the home button or other features explicitly designed for exiting the app” and also in screen shot of their policy they mentioned “Description: The user attempts to exit the app and navigate to the home screen, but instead, the expected flow is interrupted by an ad.” …So showing ads in between activities when back pressed is OK but showing ads in the first screen with back pressed in not allowed and apps get banned…