Video Ads

Hey Everyone-

Just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on using video ads to generate revenue. I know a bunch of developers who love to use them in their apps to generate revenue then there are those who don’t use them at all. Working at Millennial Media our video ads our are highest priced campaigns which would make me think everyone would want to use them. I know there are some apps that don’t have that natural break that would be ideal for a video ad but what are other reasons to not use video ads?

Thanks,

MCV

Users are mostly connected using 3G networks, and have limited data transfer capabilities. Usually they have a flat download quota for a month.
Downloading videos will spend this quota. I don’t use video ads but if I did I would only send them to users with WIFI connections.

IMO the other problem is the sound. I’m sure you have already met video ads on websites and the sound of the videos was a big trouble because you don’t expect it and you can’t turn it off right away.

Hey lmaosoft-

Thanks for the the reply. If you ever want to give them a shot you can always create two APIDs, 1 for static and 1 for video. Then use conditional logic to call a video placement only when the user is on WiFi. Below is the logic you can use. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.

String apid="";
ConnectivityManager connectivityManager;
connectivityManager = (ConnectivityManager) this.getSystemService(Context.CONNECTIVITY_SERVICE);
if(connectivityManager.getActiveNetworkInfo().getType() == ConnectivityManager.TYPE_WIFI) apid=“VIDEO APID”;
else apid = “STATIC APID”;

MCV

I think the main issue with video ads is they are the only ad unit that really STOPS you from proceeding in the app, hurting usability. This is OK if your app is a rockstar app, because people are willing to wait. But for many of us I’m not sure whether or not the income difference between interstitials and video ads are worth it, given the video ads slow down usability.

But then again, for all I know eCPMs are $10.00 for video ads, as I haven’t tested it :wink: If so, sign me up!