Insane revenue/CTR drop AdMob

Yesterday and today - yes. But the whole month is really low anyway.

Sorry for potentially asking newb questions. I have about 5 apps at the moment, all just displaying 320x50 Admob banner ads. I have all my apps refreshing at 30 seconds and I haven’t implemented a singleton ad server as yet, so that when you switch activities in my apps, it displays a new ad. My apps are mainly quizzes similar to Logo Quiz where you’re going in and out of activities a lot.

Is it possible that if I implement a singleton ad server that I would increase my revenue, even although my impressions would drop? My ecpm at the moment is averaging $0.11 from 100-200k impressions a day.

For the record I would change that refresh rate to at least 45 seconds, if not 60. Longer to view ad= better CTR and also it’s eats less battery/data (if not on Wi-Fi of course).
Try mediation with Admob. You can run ads through multiple ad networks such as Millennial Media and Appbrain to name a few, while assigning the bandwidth to each network accordingly, per geographical location.

You missed his whole point. How to display ads across activities without refreshing a new ad on each activity. There’s a few techniques to do this, one being: Static ad view - Android Development - Making Money with Android

I chatted to the Millennial ad sales guys and they claim it is seasonal. ie: January sucks. Since we are seeing lows across all networks, the data seems to support this.

They said to it should pick up around Superbowl time.

I wasn’t referring to his “whole” point, I was just commenting on how to improve ECPM and general best practices with banner ads.

Yeah, sorry if i sounded like an ass, wasn’t trying to be argumentative.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I appreciate the benefits of reduced data/battery usage and increased ecpm but, in your experiences do you think implementing a static banner ad (or another similar technique) would actually increase the revenue earned?

My current CTR has been very consistent - %0.41 - %0.52, but averaging %0.49 or so.

By static you mean no refresh? With admob I had no refresh set for a year or so by mistake. Changing it to 60 second refresh rate gave me 10-20% increase in revenue or maybe even a little more - the CTR dropped but the impressions raised more. But it mostly depends on game/app.

Basically your revenue is eCPM x num impressions.

Now if you HALVE your impressions - by choosing a lower refresh rate - then you better DOUBLE your eCPM to remain at the same level.

From my very half-baked tests it is clear that HALVING your refresh rate (i.e. going from 60 sec to 120 sec) which halves the impressions (presumably - and this MAY be true since Admob has nearly a 99% fill rate - so it should translate into roughly HALF impressions) does NOT in general double (or greater) the eCPM. In fact it is usually LESS than double.

So overall in the equation:

eCPM x num impressions

you wind up worse off.

There are exceptions to this simple analysis - for example in moving from 60 sec to 120 sec your number of impressions may not HALVE.

In fact in my approximate testing (i.e. maybe data was not millions of impressions) - I have NOT seen the number of impressions DOUBLE or HALVE etc. as one would expect by changing the “refresh rate” in the Admob settings.

That is, I am not even sure that refresh setting has any effect - or maybe the Admob SDK does something “intelligent” on it’s own which doesn’t usually translate into something it would do.

Have folks seen a doubling of impressions when they go from 120 sec to 60 sec - if not then that “refresh rate” setting may not exactly be doing what people are thinking.

Now some folks have said that the eCPM has an impact on the types of ads that are shown (i.e. the natural eCPM that the advertiser is giving Admob etc.).

If that is so - THEN there maybe some NONLINEAR advantage to having a low refresh rate - i.e. if the quality of advertising suddenly improves if you promise to show their ad for longer. That is you say we’ll show it for 2x longer, and advertiser says “ok, we’ll pay you 4x as much”.

Now THAT would be something.

But I have so far not understood WHY such an equation would exist - why would advertisers offer MORE to apps which show banner ads SLOOOOWLY ?

If developers are paid by the fruits of the ads i.e. eventual clicks - I would assume Admob is charging advertisers by the successful clicks also - so what does it matter to advertisers how long their ad was shown before someone clicked ?

Nah, I don’t thing there is such thing. As I said - I had for almost a year no refresh rate set. eCPM was really high (so was CTR), but after changing to 60s refresh rate the revenue raised.

With no refresh rate set - did the banner ads change - some default may have been used.

So you agree that basically it is all bullshit - OR basically there are some other variables which we are not able to control - and basically ANY refresh rate could be better than any other ?

Or is 60s “canonical” (i.e. the best preferred for intangible goody-goody feel reasons :-))

I had it set to “Use refresh rate set in client code” and I didn’t set any refresh rate in client. The result was - no change in banners through the whole run of the application. Of course restarting the application caused new banner to appear.

60s is recommended by Google so I go with it. I tested 30, 45 and 120 but not for long enough to be sure but they seemed to work a little worse for my games - it might heavily depend of the type of game/app you have (how long people are playing, how long are levels etc.).

lol guys wtf is with your ECPM … 0.08 … 0.12 …
I actually came here and registred to reply because I was searching for a reason why my ECPM dropped the last days form > 1$ to ~0.50$ @60sec 320x50 banner.
And what I read here is even more and more worse.
My opinion and advice to you is: Forget Admob and Adsense and stop give away your ad impressions for that crappy revenue. I removed Admob from my android game after 1 month when I experienced ECPMs like you.
Now I’m getting nearly 1000$ dollars a month from a not too popular game.
I’m using Leadbolt currently. And Chartboost looks also quite good, you just can’t show full screen interstiatls often as banner ads.
That really hurts too see how many impressions your apps have and you are earning cents with it, lol. Dont’t you think if your app has 1000-5000 daily users (again and again!) then you deserve a little more than some cents/dollars a day?
I’m earning with 1000 daily users around 1000$ a month. Just wanted to tell you.
Greets
Ak

Which Leadbolt ads are you recommending ?

Also Chartboost website is a bit obtuse - it seems to be a direct advertising marketplace - but not clear how that works.

Do developers say they have 10K impressions for sale - and someone signs up for that or what ?

Where’s the money ?

Their website is primarily about how good they are and their management how it’s appearing on various trade journals and raising money.

Nowhere does it point out how developers get paid - I am not doubting it’s value since I have seen it being detected in many apps (by ad detector apps) - so there must be something there, but their website makes absolutely no effort to explain what they do (perhaps if one needs to ask one is not worthy ?).

Ok, found it here:

https://help.chartboost.com/faq/publishing

I tried Leadbolt banner and they had lower eCPM than adMob. The CTR was abysmal from what I remember, probably because the ads were not interesting. Also keep in mind that Leadbolt doesn’t show fill rate, so you can’t calculate the real eCPM for it, you can only guess or believe what they write.

Thanks for that.

for1x:

What type of eCPM or revenue per DAU or whatever does Chartboost deliver ? Is it better than Greystripe’s $0.8 eCPM or Leadbolt AppWall HTML ads ?

It is interesting how these ad networks give NO indication of the payout (if it varies perhaps they should show a graph of overall eCPM etc. or something like the $12 RPMD figure that StartApp shows on their website). It is almost as if if you have to ask then you are not worthy.

So you would like to see a promise on their main page that you get an ecpm of 10-20$??
Acutally as far as I get ten times more revenue from Leadbolt and Chartboost as from Admob, and of course a monthly payout, I don’t care how they do it.
What does the transparancy of Admob give you? an ECPM of 0.10$?
@Magnesus:
That’s not correct. I’m using a Leadbolt 320x50 HTML banner through MoPub Mediation.
Mopub does tell me me number of requests and also the number of impressions. The number ob impressions shown in Mopub and Leadbolt is nearly the same, and I have a fill rate higher then 98,5%.
By the way my leadbolt CTR is at ~1.5%

Good for you then - I was only describing MY experience with Leadbolt banners.