How I beat the odds to make $ worth noticing...

For me, it’s not as much if I enjoy it or not, but I do what makes me money. I do other stuff for enjoyment. But, as I said, thank God for diversity and that we’re not all the same. :slight_smile:

So I added interstitials this month and it made a huge difference over just running banners. I’m going to wait until the end of the month to post a graph but this was difinatly a big improvement in ad revenue for me.

I am having problems with getting newer apps to gain any traction. I just finished a Facebook ad campaign and I’ll post that when I have the results.

Yeah, interstitials are HUGE. Please let us know about the FB campaign. Thanks.

Good job, I trying as You. Gook Luck

Exactly. This month I treated myself to Amazon Fire TV and a new laptop from AdMob earnings. Items id think twice about if i was ‘working’ for the $.

Interestingly, since the kids have been out of school, revenue has dropped off around 15-20%.This is across all my apps. I’m not too bothered as the monthly total should still be $700+ and Ive invested no time whatsover this month.

My brother is a flash designer and last year he and his partner spent 6 months (full-time) developing a truly awesome app. On release, he made $30 in two months. $10 went to Google, $10 to his partner and $10 for himself. Now, THAT would make me a little unhappy. With 3 hour ‘throwaway’ apps - its not such a big deal.

@JackoD: Yep, that’s sooo true. I’ve seen it too many times. Having many little apps probably won’t make anyone a millionaire or a world recognized app dev, but it will bring you money. In most cases, even more than having “serious” apps. For most of us, who are indie and part-time in this business, it’s a much more preferred way of making money.

About the revenue - yeah, it’s down for me too, but still with healthy earnings. :slight_smile:

Yes indie devs are after money and not gaining big name at the beginning but who know when luck clicks and you create something innovative which gets viral. I think a 10,000,000 downloads are required to be noticed. Or advertise your game with unlimited budget like clash of clans (I know its name from ads only, never downloaded or played that game)

Just another finding; Id forget the Amazon Market as an ad-sales venue. I tried a couple of apps on there last month. I took apps that make a combined $140 per week on Google Play and placed them on the Amazon app market. After a week, the combined income on Amazon was 6c. Yes, 6c! I didn’t think it was possible to create a market with less revenue return than Windows Phone but somehow Amazon has done just that.

Stick with Google Play, its the only game in town. :slight_smile:

It’s exactly the same for me. However, if you hit a good paid app, Amazon can do wonders. I saw a guy making 4.000 USD/month with 3 apps (he showed me the stats). I too was on #1-5 spot with one of my paid apps for months and was able to sell over 9.000 copies of it. However, out of 6-7 paid apps, only one took off. Others just float around, not making much at all.

Samsung is good too, next to GP (I get around 30-50% of GP volume). Opera is slightly better than Amazon, but all in all, not worth it.

Well like I said the interstitials made a huge difference in revenue for me. I had banners only for ~3 months, and then the beginning of this month I added them and you can see the jump.

Interstitials.png

Interesting - Im leaning towards ‘paid’ only on Amazon as banner ads are so dismal for revenue. Did you ever use interstitial ads on Amazon? I cant get them to work for the life of me. I followed the doc for adding interstitial ads to an amazon app but no ads appear. Banners work fine but not interstitial. Id be interested to know if you got them to work. I have zero issues running adMob interstitials (on Google Play), but for some reason no luck with implementing for amazon.

Congrats on your very nice sales on amazon. keeps me encouraged :wink:

Thanks. Encouragement is necessary for all of us - only after I saw his stats I’ve started to believe, what’s possible. Before that, I’d say Amazon is a waste of time. :wink:

I’ve never tried Amazon’s interstitial ads, but I’ve read that the fill rates are relatively low (especially outside the US), so maybe that’s the reason you don’t see them. Anyway, Amazon has a GREAT support, so I’m sure they’ll help you, if you ask them to.

Can someone with experience of working with Amazon Store and Samsung Compare Compare with Google Play? Are we looking at 1:10 , 1:100 ratio’s ?

I have apps on both amazon and GP. GP out performs 500:1 - Amazon for ad-revenue is terrible with extremely low fill-rate (approx 60% for me) and once you list a free app, you cant de-list it. I initially put all my apps on Amazon, found there is no ad-revenue and now they are stuck on there and cant be taken off - for free with low fill-rate. So I then made ‘paid’ versions and sold around 15 copies. The 15 sales strangely disappeared with no explanation on my Amazon ‘payment’ tab and all they claim they owe me is 33c -for 15 app sales and 3 months of ad revenue. The total should be closer to $20 - not much, but still, its $20 and not 33c.

Forget Amazon - don’t waste your time.

It’s the same for me - out of 20 or so apps, only 1 is performing really well.

You need to use mediation or your own ads loading with backup to combat the low fill rate. You can use admob ads on apps submitted to amazon, so you don’t neccessarily have to have low fillrate. What I do is load an Amazon ad and an AdMob ad at yhe same time. If yhe Amazon ad doesnt fill I show the AdMob ad. You can also use Amazon ads in your apps on Google Play. The fillrate may be low, but yhe ecpm is usually very high, so it’s worth it if you use them with mediation or a backup.

Hi,

Im in a similar position. I have several apps but make 99.9% of my money through 2 apps that I have stuck to for over 3 years. In the beginning they made nothing. in fact they didnt make anything really for a year and a half but I stuck with them. Updated, updated and updated. Replied to users emails, make my storefront look nice and used the stats. Now - $1400 a day, 18k downloads per day. Over 1 million active users. I only use Admob banners and interstitials.

Dont give up and concentrate on one or two good ideas. Its just another method to the copy/paste * 100 approach.

J.

Your 80-90% traffic is from tier 1 countries?

US: 22%
Brazil: 6%
Russia: 5%
Japan: 5%

and lots of small amounts spread throughout the world.