Are TapContext banner and interstitial ads intrusive?

Hi,

I see many people here using TapContext. I’m trying to integrate it’s banner and interstitial ads with my app now. In the API document, I see that TapContextService and TapContextReceiver on BOOT_COMPLETED are required.

Other SDKs just require their Activity to show banner or fullscreen ads. Why does TapContext need to add a service and an OnBootCompleted receiver? Is it intrusive?

I need some explanation before adding TapContext to my apps. If any one knows about it, please help me. Thank you!

Heh, I thought TapContext was bad with permissions until I saw Appgrade:

(Appgrade)
a. Under the main manifest tag, add the following permissions (all the permission tags are required):

<!-- Allows starting the service automatically on boot --> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" /> 
<!-- Needed to determine if a network connection is available --> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" /> 
<!-- Needed to communicate with our server --> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" /> 
<!-- Needed to allow the smartbar to be on top of other windows-->
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW" /> 
<!-- Needed for vibration when dragging a smartbar icon -->
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />

<!-- Helps us gain insights in order to offer the most relevant ads to users --> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" /> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS" /> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" /> 
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />

I am certain you can do without the last four…

Be careful using these new ad networks - right now only banner ad + interstitial is the safe way to go (since Google has cracked down on most of the intrusive ad networks).

TapContext MAY fall into the same situation as Heyzap is reported to be - see other threads here - for sending list of apps, or for making user think that a virus is on their device etc.

Really?

InMobi these days has such kind of ads too. The advertiser is NQ (for NQ Mobile Security that has 10.000.000 - 50.000.000 installs). The ad network companies may not check banner ads carefully. But I can’t believe that NQ can create such an ad. They warn user that her phone has a virus and then “Tap here to scan your phone”.