Android game and Facebook virality

Does anyone have some stats about conversion rates from Facebook posts?

Users inside my game posted 100 times on Facebook about my game (an image from the game with the game url attached to it) in the past 24 hours and I got 14 clicks (redirects to the game url) in total.

Considering an average facebook user has around 100 friends and 10 of them see the post, that means the stories about my game should have been seen by 1000 users. Out of 1000 users who saw a post, only 14 of them clicked on it. That’s a CTR of 0.014%.

I’ve been documenting a lot lately about ways to market a game and one thing that everyone is saying is to make your game social, to get users to post on social networks about your game. By analyzing the above stats, it doesn’t seem like this marketing method really works.

Any impressions?

Update: just noticed Facebook’s Insights page and here are more accurate stats (for the last 7 days):

Story Impressions: 16.8K
Stories Published: 348
Clicks on Stories: 30

So there were 16800 impressions and 30 clicks. That’s a CTR of 0.0017%.

I never found that “social thing” that much important. For many many different projects that “social thing” was never a hit wonder for me - it more or less didn’t work at all. I always tought I do something wrong :smiley:

But happy to hear that some ppl actually use some share-functions you put into the game!

The social thing works, but you have to leverage all of them, not just facebook. For example, some of my apps get good traffic from Kik messenger, I dont know why but it gets shared there a lot. I found that the best thing is to throw default “Share” dialog at users and let them choose how they want to share their experience.

Besides, my friends on facebook are all sick of game invites, everyone is over this “social thing” already in my opinion.

What I want to say is this: If you have something that is going to be viral … it will be viral nontheless. No matter if you do anything for it or not.

Sure, you can make it easier for people to do, like having a “Share” Button - but the Share Button alone will not make it viral. There is a lot of good reading what things can get viral - but very often it just happens unintentionally. Like Flappy Birds or even that Gangnam Video (which is nothing special, but it did go viral for some reason)

Most of the time you can just put a cute kitten in there and it will go viral … because the world likes cute kittens :slight_smile: (me not)

To be fair, posts on social networks “should” affect SEO which is important for your Google Play rankings.
But yeah, the whole make it social thing has never really worked for me either.

I think it’s one of the myths … it has worked for a bunch of projects, so everyone suspects, that it will work for every project. It’s untrue. Like everyone thinks, they will get rich by making a flappy bird clone, so everyone makes a flappy bird clone until people recognize that “this flappy bird thing” does not work for them :smiley:

good idea would be to make social things about games which you can talk about. For example multiplayer game when you can talk about best character or best methods of doing something etc. Why would people be interested in facebook page of simple match 3 games? That makes no sense at all.

Another advantage of mobile games is that it’s not comfortable to talk in game chats. So it’s good to move some conversianon on other media like facebook or forum. However the game should be complicated enough and good if it’s multiplayer.

In the past 21 hours I’ve had 100 facebook posts about my game (text + image linking to appropriate store) and 7 clicks. If at least 1000 people saw the posts then that’s a CTR of 0.7%.

So it doesn’t seem like this works.

na … :slight_smile: btw. how do you find facebook posts about your game? and how did you do that … I can open an intent for facebook sharing but I canot prefil it … which is a bit odd …

Also how do you prefill the facebook intent with an image?

must be:

.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, Uri.fromFile(new File(imagePath)) );