Admob Geo Stats: Unknown location

Could these unknown location clicks be comming from someone using an emulator or blue stacks instead of an actual device. This might be why the location can’t be determined. Would also be the easiest way for someone to attack adMob.

Yea I once told about that emulator stuff.

Just an update about me for all the installs and requests I couldn’t locate:

This just HAS to do with some spammer or bot, I am so afraid right now >.<

The above figure just shows Korea rising - perhaps your app IS becoming popular in Korea ?

That is exactly the (worse case) scenario - that someone picks out apps to attack/disrupt (it might not even be attacking Admob) - harvests their Admob APP IDs - has bots running that mimic the app and generate fake click-on-ad etc.

What would the purpose be of such an effort - one maybe to attack competitor apps (to get high in rankings).

One has to understand that going up in rankings is now big business - it is by far the biggest bang-for-the-buck - and I would not be surprised if there were outfits doing negative (i.e .hit the competitors above them in rankings) as opposed to positive (push the app up with downloads/reviews).

In my own stats I see that the unknown geo-location is not getting much revenue - but others report revenue generation from that (?).

One weakness in the above argument is that if someone has gone to the effort to mimic devices - why wouldn’t they spoof the location as well (?)

EDIT: also trashing some app by spoiling it’s reputation at Admob may not directly affect it’s rankings - though maybe these guys know that a bad label by Admob may have some (internal) Google impact on how it’s ranking is calculated …

Nope, it isn’t actually becoming popular, my apps have such a bad rank in SK

Well going up in downloads (to the degree your graph shows) may not necessarily suggest ranking improvement - also depends what is the source of these downloads (i.e. via Google Play or other stores … some of which automatically list your app ?).

But if you are seeing the same high CTR etc. stuff maybe it is relevant.

Ok now ranks are being updated: top 50 in south korean Music&Audio
But: No ratings/reviews and not a single email from korean users.

In terms of revenue it helps me a lot but I dont know how google interprets this.
I mean, if it came from different countrys, I wouldn’t care about it - but now, when it’s just from one single country, google could think I bought downloads

Maybe my app got featured by some korean youtuber but I didn’t find any “my app”-related video that has more than 3k views.

But again - my thesis has been correct: The only thing affecting ranking is the count of downloads + MAYBE active device installs.

After the click from Unknown Location had fallen to zero, now are under attack again … Over 80% on two app from Unknown Location… :frowning:

I have a ctr of 30% from unknown locations could this cause me to get banned? It has been going on for a few weeks now. My revenue per click from unknown location js only arouns 1cent though compared to my typical 10 for a normal location which is weird as well.

This “unknown” location has been present in my data for a few months now, but unlike you guys I am seeing nothing unusual from it. CTR is 2%, which is slightly higher than my average CTR of 1.85%. Only about 1% of my traffic is unknown too. Very weird.

Today all my games are under attack… :frowning:
In many game 100% CTR!!! I think this is strategy to ban developers from admob…

I think we all that face this problem must contact admob… let them know that this is a big problem, and avoid admob from using this strategy to ban developers … admob just let the developers worried without telling any reasons.

I have tried contact them through email, contact form, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and haven’t got any response.

What is more “funny” that one of my apps which I didn’t deleted ad account (because in a good day it gets ~2 installs :smiley: and barely 10 ad requests :D) today is also on “attack” :smiley: 12 requests 12 clicks from Unknown.
Yesterday: 8 requests from Americas and 5 clicks and 4 requests and 4 clicks from Unknown. Needless to say that my app isn’t even in English but in my native language (Latvian) and target audience are Latvians. Something here is definitely very very wrong.

Edited:
Oh, looks like “attack” started yesterday :smiley:

Yes, my CTR from unknown location is >90% since yesterday.

From my experience the clicks from unknown location seems to be proportional to the popularity of the app.
Also, apps that do not have their play store descriptions translated does not have any unknown clicks.

I do not have many apps to go by, but this seems like a good guess based on my apps.

Does anyone else experience this pattern?

Normally i get 2-3 clicks a day from normal users.
From unknown location i get 100+ clicks a day.

I get 0.01 or 0.001 $ per click.

Attack still continue. 4 requests 4 clicks :smiley:
Yesterday i got some wild random thought while I was reading forums about this problem. May be this is some “legal” way how Google slowly gets rid of unprofitable publishers? I can’t explain how attackers can make proportional “attacks” if they don’t have information about daily downloads/ad requests etc. So far I haven’t read complains from any big indie developer or company.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s someone attacking our apps. If so they would do thousands of clicks per day, not just hundreds; and they wouldn’t be proportional. I think it may just be some reporting/stats anomaly or glitch in adMob.

So many people on here are paranoid I think :wink:

I also don’t believe that it’s attack, but I also can’t explain what it is. It’s definitely not some stats glitch, because if it’s glitch then my revenue in 1 day wouldn’t increase 3-4 times. If it’s really glitch then it will cost AdMob big time… and if it’s glitch then here should be thousands of posts not few… I’m just saying…

Does this happen for IOS apps as well? Or only android?

If its only android then maybe this is a way for google to pump money into its developers?

Admob give us more money, because they fear about Airpush banner ads. :cool: