A warning to you Indies....

I think the recommendation seems to be that all over-40 should be taking low-dose aspirin - to prevent blood clots - plus aspirin is anti-inflammatory which may work against heart disease or arterial disease which has some links with inflammation. In addition aspirin has anti-viral properties as well.

Most older people being treated for routine heart disease take low-dose aspirin - so this would be something like that.

However, consult with your doctor to see if aspirin is appropriate for you.

Saw this article today by chance:

When too much coding can kill you. | Javalobby
Julian Exenberger
When too much coding can kill you.

In general programming is one of the more unhealthy occupations. Bad for the eyes to be staring constantly in one place - maybe leads to bad circulation within eye vitreous humor, bad for back, bad for circulation - blood clot dangers as suggested by mind etc.

I have often found the multiple roles that android development requires like finding ad networks, marketing etc. to be a pain - but it could be that the changing roles required - at least for the single-independent-developer - may allow some variety to the developer. However, the problem is that these usually do not come together in neat daily packages - so you may spend more time developing - and maybe later spend more time on marketing - or making the graphics etc. for the app.

EDIT: one of the reasons programming can be so dangerous is that if you are doing any type of wide change in your code - or are getting back to your code after some time - it takes a huge effort to reintroduce your brain to your code (this is even more so if you spend a major part of your day in interacting with other people or humans not related to programming etc.) - and often it means that your programming session can only start becoming productive after some time messing with the code. Often the most productive work will be done very late at night or on those nights where you pulled an all-nighter.

I think this requirement to pull an occasional all-nighter is not a programmer-specific peculiarity - but may be a requirement for certain types of programming activities - where a major reworking of code is required etc. In such circumstances, the brain needs to be in control or aware of a vast amount of code - and if you are getting back to that specific code after a long time - then it invariably needs accomodation i.e. you getting comfortable with the code - having it all in your mind etc. - and that may take some preparation - which means it is only when it is really late at night that you start to click and actually do something with the code. It also means then that you are fired then and cannot sleep until that part is done - because otherwise it will take another few hours next day to reacquaint yourself with the code etc.

Get well soon man!

Holy sh*t… hope you get better real soon!!

I’m not a doctor, and I havent done a lot of research on this, but if I had to give a single advice to all it would be: to DRINK A LOT OF WATER.

Water helps everything in your body. All biochemical reactions depends on water. Also blood gets thicker without water, making the whole body function less optimally, and perhaps has something to do with what happened to @mind. Dont trust your thirsty feeling to know when to drink water, that doesnt work so well, usually gets triggered only when you’re on very low hydration levels, and on many occasions gets mixed up as hunger (and eating in fact makes your body hydration worse). So just set a water drinking goal per day (depends on your age, size, weather, etc, but 2 to 3 liters should be OK for most people) and try to stick to it.

Again, hope you get better @mind !

@rottz - on the other hand you can die from drinking too much water. Watching House was fun. :slight_smile:

Yeah, House is great. I dont think I have watched the one about water yet!

Anyway, as long as you dont drink an excessive amount of water, you should be fine. I sometimes totally forget to drink water, and probably drink less than 500 ml on a single day, thats why I have to keep paying attention on this and try to drink at least 2 liters per day. There were a few times I was so dehydrated that I could instantly notice my eyesight get better after drinking a full cup of water.

But to sum it up, it’s as mind said: keep your life balanced, be it doing exercises, drinking more water, eating better (be it more food, less food, or just healthier food), etc.

Best

Good advice and get better soon. I need to start getting out more.