Google's new patent that could affect us

Google Patents Method of Keeping Pirate Apps at Bay | TorrentFreak

Seems it might be hard on people using some less known libraries, that Google might miss when constructing the filter for the algorithm…
It might stop those who just copy our APKs and release them as their own. Or it could wreck havoc banning people because of false positives as YouTube similar algorithms are known to work.

what ya think this means. You cant re-skin apps anymore? If so this would be dumb. If you want to be like Amazon or IOS, just do that then. Hire ppl to review submission and skip all the BS and the banning for no real reasons. They ban stores, and all people do is make another one. Why not suspend the app, let you change it and resubmit, if it does not meet the specs, then you cant publish. DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING GOOGLE. So scary that Google is ruling the world and they have this BIG BROTHER view on stuff.

This will be good news for stock images businesses.

I see end of so many businesses like Chupamobile, codecanyon.
Also gone will be app makers. Not to mention AppInventor which was donated by google to MIT.
Game engines could also come under suspect. I hope google is not dumb to ban apps created using libgdx, unity or gamemaker.
Many developers who user resources across applications.
The problem I see is what happens to a developer who creates some wonderful LWP but uses the same settings screen which has huge weight in code.

On the web, google’s search engine bot does compare content of new pages with its database and penalizes the websites for stealing content. But apps (specially code) requires reuse like rating dialog, settings screens, buttons etc.

Jesus save the indie developers.

And even more so if you focus on a certain type of app/game. You will often use similar resources and layouts for different apps, which makes total sense and is of course more efficient.
Google started building a cellar and now they’re starting to push people down there.

Everything they are doing with the Play Store is focused on:

1. Maintaining their dominance (not just in the mobile apps world, but also the mobile ads world).
  2. Improving their app market hygiene.
  3. Paving the way for medium and large developer businesses.
  4. Getting rid of / Making it harder for indie developers (the guys and gals that spearheaded the initial Android App Market).

I can understand point 1 and point 2. Point 3 is definitely not something they need to or have to do (look at Steam, Xbox and Playstation indie games etc). Point 4 really just shows how much Google don’t actually care. They only ever act in their own interests and are always trying to create the illusion that they do care.

Amazon and Samsung have a good chance at becoming real contenders if GPlay loses a lot of good indie devs and keeps changing their content and ad policies, not to mention what Tizen may become.

It looks like they are trying to fight spam with bots, but really they just need a good team of app reviewers, that’s all. What a waste of resources…

So is this saying that if we purchase source off of a developer… submit it to the market then reskin it on another account were completely screwed? Or is this more of a protection of content theft from larger app developing companies? Google needs to F*** Off. So annoying

This is what really gets me. Google is a multi-billion dollar corporation, famous across the globe and who is currently dominating many industries.
They are absolutely killing it in mobile and yet they keep trying to do things so stingily. How is it not a great investment to get a real team together?

Its just so backwards. Even though I current rely on Google’s success in this industry, I really don’t believe they deserve it.

Google its not a corporation its syndicate merged with the state , fbi and cia. Syndicate of evil.
Facebook exact same fate awaits.

Why they would be implementing this patent is because of flappy bird clones. Almost 2 indie developers I know out of 5 have uploaded a flappy bird clone.
Number of low quality apps in March soared:
Number of available Android applications - AppBrain

For me too, new avenues need to be sought out soon.

new regular apps took a dive too. is everyone scared to upload new apps or big boys are killing all hopes for indie success?

I think they use it most for preference. For example if anyone take your APK, decompile it and change all resource then publish, they can detect if the code match 100% (proguard or not) and use it for the legal stuff like ban an app if you explain. And other case like codecanon, apptopia … they just ignore if someone buy code and re-skin

How would google know if someone has purchased code from apptopia or not when the algorithm finds a match?

They never know from where, it’s just example. I mean they can compare code and store result in database, then use for legal action later when someone complaint about violate DCMA or something else

If you use a tool to encrypt the APK like ApkCrypt, I think is very hard to do that, because all the code will be rough and tumble.
I dont konw how they do that.

I think all of you already saw this new google’s patent “Detecting pirated applications”, for most of us its a new mehanism for banning repeative apps and developers with multiple accounts.

And if you look at images for this patent, especially to FIG.2 you can notice block 236 - normalized code assets. This block is just for proguard users, so google knows how to deal with it. I dont really think this will help to prevent google from comparing your apps with your prior apps.

For example, the application processing component 220 can apply a normalizing algorithm to each of the code assets 232 that preserves the code structure while ignoring or genericizing non-standard method names, class names, and variable names. By normalizing the code assets 232, a pair of code assets 232 can be compared for similarity without regard to changes that have been made to elements such as method names, class names, and variable names.

By the way, did anyone tried something like this APK Protect–Android APK Security Protection/Encryption/Guard, Better Than ProGuard & DexGuard ?

I think they are talking about making X stores and basically renaming package and and pushing it back up. They dont want 100 from 1 in 15 stores. I cant see them killing codecanyon and those typea sites. WTF, Flappy Bird effed the entire thing up… and big ass google cant figure a way out… booo Google getting out of hand now. Thought they did not want to be evil. LOL

“Google is designing a new system that could help keep pirated apps out of Google Play. By scanning each app as it is submitted and comparing its assets against those used in other apps, the search giant could detect illegal clones before they make their way into users’ hands.”

“When a developer uploads an app to Google, a system would compare all of its assets — including its audio and image files, executable code, and data files — with those already known to Google (i.e., those already uploaded to Google Play). If a certain number of those assets match those used in other apps, then it’s automatically flagged for manual review.”

More here …Cult of Android - Google Hatches Plan To Keep Cloned Apps Out Of Play Store [Patent] | Cult of Android

They really want to get rid of the app-constcructors. They really hates that developers can easily create applications and put them on the market every day. They only want to manual code implying that it TRUE, and all the rest is SHIT. And they do not care to users made millions download and good ratings for this small application. Their anger just breaks that anyone except from them can earn in this market.

PS:
This ugly google even tries to copyright word GLASS
They were denied, because it is impossible.
Let everyone starts copyright words or letters of the alphabet

The assets could be from stock in one app. Then second developer buys the same stock. Then google bans second developer, because assets were “stolen”. That’s stupid …