Tired of antivirus - it's absurd

One of my comment mentioned about GET_TASKS, he/she talk about the antivirus warned her of AGGRESIVE Ads

If you do Push ads and Icon ads, you are malware developers.
The fact that you are making more money with malware doesn’t justify what you are doing. Shame on you guys that you are trying to justify this way of making money.

You might want to try and look up the definition of words you choose to use before posting…

Malware - short for malicious software, is software used or programmed by attackers to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems.

in case you didn’t know this one either

Malicious - having or showing a desire to cause harm to someone

If you:
A Tell users you use advertisements and what type in the description and in a software agreement
B Tell them that they can opt out
C Give them multiple ways to opt out including ad blocking software like leadbolt

You ARE NOT a malware developer

now that wasn’t too hard was it.

Also i wanted to say that there are tons of types of apps and that is why there are lots of ways to use advertising. An out of app advertising system is what you would want to use if you have for example a free live wallpaper app. The users will be using it constantly but only enters the setup maybe once. So ads that will never work are banner ads, exit ads, various pop ups, app walls, etc. But if you have a multi-level game you can use all kinds of in app ads and don’t need the out of app ads unless you want to use them.

The argument of what types of ads are good or bad isn’t black and white. There is a ton of grey area. I have apps that span the spectrum from wall papers to airplane shooting games to sound boards. Each one has a different ad integration using multiple ad companies to mix and match the right combo for my app. Some even have specific ads blocked in admob that others don’t. Because i doubt a kids picture puzzle game needs ads for dating sites.

ok done with my ranting.

Personally I Paid 10$/month in my phone bill due to push ads without every knowing I am paying till I checked my Bill.
When people download your app they are doing with trust and no one ever read EULA (Any developer with half a brain knows that because neither do we).

If you use Push ads or icon ads you are a spammer. And that is why is AntiVirus software designates your app as malware. No matter how much one twists the wordings a Spammer is a Spammer.

You are obviously biased towards aggressive advertising. If you honestly paid $10 extra per month for data charges, then that’s your lookout and has nothing to do with push ads. All Android phones have the ability to turn data on or off, with some even setting up data limits on the phone. Regardless, push ads contain no more information than a banner ad does. They are not going to incur massive data charges…

Anyone who doesn’t read a EULA before accepting is totally liable. You can understand the context of all the Ad network EULAs in the first few sentences, so there is no excuse. What’s more you can easily opt out of all push/icon ads.

If you use push/icon ads then you may be considered a spammer, but we are only trying to make our money’s worth.

The Anti-Virus apps are totally without right when they label it as malware etc. The worst thing it can be labelled as is Ad-ware. Even that’s a stretch due to opt-outs and EULAs.

So you have the right to be Spammer but AntiVirus softwares doesn’t have the right to call you out? :wink:
$10/month was paid because push ads push ads that result in charges when you click on the ads (Without ever telling you that you will be charged).

Push ads are scam/spam whatever you call it. Most advertisers who advertise with push ads are also scammers. No Legitimate business would use push ads to promote a business.

You’re taking things I said out of context.
Push/Icon ads are spammy in the sense they can appear frequently and don’t appear in desirable areas of the OS. Then again they are only activated per user acknowledgement and can easily be opted-out-of. That’s not that spammy overall.

Spam is not a virus in any way nor is it harmful in any way. Therefore the Anti-virus apps have no right to mark the SDKs as threats etc.

The only type of software that should flag these ad types are Ad-Blocker apps and apps of that nature.

You wouldn’t expect your NVIDIA controls to manage your system sound settings, nor would you expect your Flashlight app to integrate with your web browser.

You aren’t making it clear as to why you paid an alleged $10/month. If that was the actual case then these ad types would not be around. Google has allowed them to stay for a long, long time after all. If they were operating like you are indicating it would be common knowledge by now.

Of course push ads are spammy/scammy. Someone who blindly accepts EULAs and clicks ads that are obviously aimed at pulling people in are going to be lured easily. The advertisers who use push/icon ads know that and that’s why a lot of the campaigns are questionable.

the only push ad i have ever seen that cost to click like that is the ones sprint (my phone company) sends my phone trying to get me to upgrade to text voicemail. That is sprint not an ad company. I have never seen an ad from any normal ad company we all use here that has a one click then charges you $10. I doubt the validity of it. If an advertising company did it that i used i would drop them instantly.

Also a question for you. Do you have java installed in your computer? If you do then you might remember Oracle pre checking a search tool bar download from Ask.com to install on your computer with java. link for you to see it

Do you now consider Oracle a spammer, scammer, virus peddler, and a malicious malware company for giving out for free a much needed software (java) and making a few bucks from ask.com? They get so many people that click install really fast and never see the install check-box its insane.

This is interesting.
billyh, you seem to accept kinds of ads like banners and maybe interstitials.
But you do not accept what you call “aggresive ads”, like icons and push ads.
You say that you don’t like them because you got extra bandwidth usage.
Actually, interstitials and banners consume MUCH MORE bandwidth. Banners are refreshed generally every 45 seconds, and interstitials are very large, while push ads come at a maximum of 3/day! Depending on how much you use the apps, banners and interstitial could use 10x or 20x times the bandwidth of push ads.
I suggest you to think well what apps have banners, because probably you paid that extra 10$ for banners, not for push ads.
(BTW, you can opt-out push ads, you cannot opt-out banners)
The distance is even higher with icon ads, that simply don’t waste ABSOLUTELY any bandwidth, unless you decide to do it. They just sit there, and can be deleted with a gesture. This is what I consider crazy, and I started this thread right to complain with antivirus providers about ICON ads, not push ads.

Personally I consider the icon ads the LEAST aggressive ads currently available, while I prefer not to use push ads.

Anyway, this clears that it’s a cultural problem. People don’t like some kind of advertising, and do accept some others.
Antivirus producers, instead of following their real goal (keep the computer protected from malicious code), follow the mass and kill the ads that people simply don’t like. Probably because they need to conquer users’ trust.

I still think that all this is crazy. Advertising networks should complain with Google directly and let Google understand that without advertising all the Android model will crush.

To finish this all, just to avoid to consider a developer some kind of shark trying to spam and scam and annoy everyone for money, consider that very rarely, really very very rarely, a developer can reach 1000$/month (gross) with this work. What about taking away more than half of this income? Who will program then?

No extra Bandwidth. People who advertise through push ads are scammers too (just like developers who use push ads). Some of these people have ability to bill directly through carriers with premium sms or wallpaper services (who the F would use wallpaper services for android? for 10$/month). The Advertisers who use push are scammy. You guys are subjecting your users to scams.

There are plenty of banner networks that allow spammy offers so don’t blame the ad unit. This point = moot.

But yeah, they are intrusive. No one can argue that. But conversions are higher so payout is higher. So its just business. It’s not illegal and Google allows them. People will use them. I went about a year without using them for ethical reasons but as soon as Google banned my apps for no good reason I started using them. If Google can just take my users away for seriously dumb reasons then that means they are expendable, and I should forego any emotional attachment to them.

My banned apps and games were my gentle babies until some random behind a desk at Google stole their souls.

And this is fine because I came back and make 3x more than I used to.

Care to say why your apps are banned?

any scammer can advertise through any type of advertisement method like banner or app wall ads. so this is not related to push ads at all.

No one has right to serve any ad outside of app even if you show EULA. You guarantee that everyone out there knows english language? That every one can understand EULA? That every one know what is push ads and icon ads? There is a reason why peoples hate those type of ads and its on developer to choose his path. Long run or short run, brand or bunch of scam apps, high rating vs low rating etc.

for my apps, push ads are a no no. They spoil the party by giving bad ratings/reviews. Even banner ads if not used properly can result in bad ratings. I once saw an app, where developer was replying to every bad review and apologizing for having used push/icon ads.

I would have to say the push ads i use on a few apps are less spammy than any of the rest of the ads i use. The ads go out once every 48 hours. That is so minimal compared to ad pop ups between levels or an exit ad constantly taking over the screen. Because its so rare i don’t get many complaints. Usually its only asking why the antivirus warning went off.

Hell i get more notifications from ESPN and Sprint every 48 hours.

@billyh still waiting for you to call out Oracle.

LOL LOL LOL
this is EXACTLY my problem :smiley:

complaining, spam, virus, lol lol lol
many of my apps get bellow 3 star, but the download keep increasing. (and my revenue is increasing too of course)
so it means many people love my apps too, even they too lazy to rate it.

i 100% agree with this quote :

and not only EULA, i also use in description.

and many people just happilly come to complain, that OVER STINGY people! :smiley:
if you don’t want an apps with ads PLEASE DON’T DOWNLOAD it!!!
SCREW THAT, people!! shoo! shoo!

Bottom Line,
I only make THE BEST WORK from all my apps, so you should give me THE BEST REVENUE from my ADS!
if not? SCREW YOU!
i just keep doing my best to making apps for people that LOVE it, not all the HATERS >:D
HATERS gonna HATE, SCREW YOU!

@keitaro3660 even if I don’t agree with using icon/push adverts, I admire your stand - making the best apps you can and monetizing them the way you choose to do so (and warning users in the description!)

But yeah, I still think push advertising = breaking the social contract (when you exit the app, it no longer does anything) and icon drops = tricking the users into clicking on something with no clear link back to the app that created it. shrug

we can’t please everybody, even the BIG GUY will get 1 rating too in their apps. so why bothers?
just focus on doing our job to please user that need to please :slight_smile:

many user praise my apps too, that bring me happiness. (love and appreciation can’t be compared by money) and some of them have request too, i always reply to this kind of user :smiley:
(but i never reply to user that rate bellow 5 star, lol. why must i appreciate them if they don’t appreciate me?)

google have banned my account once, and i must remake some of my apps to my new account.
i kind of depressed for many many days. (and because of this, i won’t bother to reply user that give rating bellow 4)

and the awesomeness is, many of my “last user”, that i give good and kind reply, even going as far as searching for me :smiley:
and when i appear with my new account name (but still same in-app logo), that user is giving me good rating and welcoming me back :slight_smile:
that kind of love from user that we must think about, that’s my story in relation with user :smiley:

now i really won’t give a fuck about the haters, just focus on doing my best :smiley: