Strange decline in AdMob requests and revenue

I’m pretty convinced Slideme’s download numbers are bogus. My game was fairly stagnant on Google Play so my admob impressions were very low and very steady. I released on Slideme and it quickly achieved in 1 day nearly the same number of downloads I had on Google. But my ad impressions never changed. Not one bit.

OK. I’m officially stupid. :slight_smile: My numbers were wrong because I had a wrong setting in reports for some reason… :stuck_out_tongue: It was showing previous month. :slight_smile: Stupid, stupid, stupid me. :slight_smile:

lol, sorry, but that is a bit funny :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha so when you had 0 requests, that was because you were seeing the previous month’s numbers too? Or that was just for when you later said that you were seeing 781 requests?

I had 0 requests on new game and 781 on an older one. This numbers were not changing because the range was set to march (1st march to 31st march) and not to “last 30 days” like always. :slight_smile: I didn’t know admob remembers what you set in that field forever. :slight_smile:

2012/05/08
revenue: $9.01
ecpm : $0.08
request: 106,875
impression: 106,669
fill rate : 99.81%
clicks: 684
CTR: 0.64%

As you can see, my ctr and ecpm are very low.

I set the refresh time : 30 secons

How can i improve my revenue?

Thanks in advance

lower refresh rate (try 90 or 120 sec)

I only care about revenue, when i change refresh rate, may i earn more money?

there is no guarantee, but you get a higher chance that a high paying ad is clicked, when the CTR is higher … there are many other factors but they are not officially :slight_smile:

Currently, if you get a high paying ad (high cpc) it is only shown for 30 seconds … I don’t think the user is looking at your ads all the time, so he will miss it.

Your ctr and ecpm will improve a little. But as you’ll be showing less ads, you will probably earn less money.

you will most likely get the same ads - depending on how long the user uses the app. Worse: you’ll get adsense ads, when your inventory is used up.

That all depends on how you use your ads - are they displayed all the time? or only between stages …? If they are shown all the time, a high refresh rate leads to more adsense (text) ads, their CTR is generelly lower and you may have used up your inventory of high paying ads during an app stage where the user is busy or whatever :slight_smile: they do not use your app to watch the ads … :wink:

The most my clicker come from Asia, so in my opinion, eCpm is low

I care only revenue, because it is the money which i earn. Is this true?

Must i care other?
[hr]

In my app, ads displayed all the time in Activity.

Thanks for your comment

No, Revenue is the one that counts. So the amount of clicks and their CPC - every other value is calculated upon these numbers. Unfortuntely you have no direct influence in either CPC or clicks.

There is no official statement on how admob does deliver ad inventory to publishers but it is widely accepted, that a low CTR leads to bad (low paying) ads, because advertisers wants to show their ads where they get clicked (and admobs customers are the advertisers) so it is logical, that when the CTR is very low, your ad space is not very valueable.

At least, that is my opinion about it

OH, i see

Very helpful information

How does AdMob calculate how much to pay developers per click?

is it on a per-ad basis, not a per-country basis?.

If you increase refresh rate from 30 to 90-120 sec, you will show 3-4 times less ads.
Let’s assume all other figures remain the same, then your revenue should be 3-4 times less.

But experience shows that longer displayed ads are more likely to be clicked, so your CTR will improve and (presumably) admob will serve you better (more expensive) ads.

So nobody can guarantee the final result - maybe you’ll end up losing revenue, maybe it will remain the same, or maybe you’ll earn more. You can try and tell us :slight_smile:

Ok, wait for tomorrow, i changed refresh time to 90.

I only use 1 admob banner (320x50) in 1 screen

Are there any way to do it better, should i try to use other ads network?

Regards

admob does not calculate how much you get paid - there is some sort of auction happening.

I just know how it works on adsense, where you “bid” for keywords. the more people are interested in placing an ad for this keyword, the more it costs. If your website covers this keyword, you get high CPC (cause the ad is more expensive). I know, that at admob there is also some “bidding” involved, even when I do not know the criteria.

So your app has a value - if the CTR is low, that would mean, that only a few people are actually “seeing” the ads on your app (and therefore will not click it) - I am pretty sure, this factor is used by admob in the bidding process.

So you should care about a naturall but healthy CTR rate - the first step to do this is to raise the refresh rate.

Just do it and try for 1 or 2 days, you will see, that you will get lower impressions, but the CTR should(!) raise. You will not get more revenue instantely, i think it needs some days before your app gets “reconsidered” in value.

IF the CTR is raising, I was right :wink:

If the CTR is also falling down, than you get tons of false clicks (some of them get filtered out for payment) and you have the risk of get banned.

If the CTR stays the same you should reconsider your ad placement
[hr]

How long is this screen normally being displayed and how often?

I think AdMob will not react that fast, you should wait at least a week before drawing any conclusions.

I’m getting much better eCPM ~$0.4 with InMobi, but its fill rate is only like 20%

I mean each screen i have 1 banner.

If user want to use my app, of course they must connect to the internet, and my fill rate always > 99 %

What’s about accidental clicks?

Is it good or bad?.

Because i see so many website use google text’s ads in the menu, so they have accidental clicks very much

(Forced) Accidental clicks are against their ToS, they have many rules about what you are not allowed to do.

As long as nobody cares, you are fine - but they can suspend your account if they do. As long as your CTR is not extremely high, nobody should care about accidental clicks. Every CTR up to 5% should be no problem at all.