New Google Ads Policy

So… anyone knows if this is only for adsense? or it applies to admob too?

It’s for AdMob / Mobile Apps as well.

I think it’s like @Magnesus said, they are talking about “cookies” and they didn’t include AdMob in the email intentionally, AdSense is used in mobile web apps, using cookies, and AdMob is for native apps, using other variables to determine which ad display.

Hope we all get more information about this in the next weeks.

So what should we do next to our apps? Do we just need to attach some information in the description on Gplay or in our apps?

From what I could read so far, I agree with you.
Anyway I hope they will add more information if it’s really needed for every Apps on Google Play with Ads.

European laws require that digital publishers give visitors to their sites and apps information about their use of cookies and other forms of local storage.

Google Cookie Choices

It’s not only for cookies, but also for advertising ids. That site might help, example code included.

So much crap about user experience, then we are forced to show a popup at start… :rolleyes:

What do you do if the user does not accept those terms? I´m thinking about showing a hint that the user is only allowed to use the app if he accepts, if not -> close the app

I don´t know if this will cause bad ratings, but if everyone implements it this way instead of simply not showing ads, it will become common in future and no one will complain anymore.

I also think users mostly don´t care about those terms. Me neither.

But why google sent it only to emails registered with admob and not to developers emails? Maybe this policy is only for apps with admob, not for all networks?

I not receive it yet. But for sure why not ask Admob support team? They will answer in 48 hours.

Can we confirm if the ones who got the email are registered in AdSense? Because I do. It’s really weird that some people didn’t get it…

I received it, I am registered in adsense too.

I posted my question in the admob group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/google-admob-ads-sdk/android/dVAQCZjBBP4

And as always - no helpful reply.

I’m afraid that it does include AdMob, and sooner or later, the other ad networks.

This situation made me take the step to remove ads and change to Paid application to test. Sure, iOS market is much more different than Android, users are more willing to pay. Seems (I need to wait for official reports from Apple, tomorrow) that I got already 5x (including -30% for Apple) more than with ads, lol :wink:

The REPLY message from ADSENSE

Thank you for your email.

I understand you might have some questions around how best to comply with our new EU user consent policy. Let me provide you with answers to the most common questions. Additionally, I would recommend you familiarize yourself with the FAQ section in our Help Center as well as Cookiechoices.org, a website dedicated to making it as easy as possible to comply with this policy.

Does this policy only affect European publishers?

No. This policy applies to all publishers that have European users. You should present consent messages to users that are visiting from the EU (though you can present the messages to all visitors if you wish). On our site at Cookiechoices.org we list vendors that offer solutions that can be used to limit these messages to EU visitors only.

Which publisher advertising products does this apply to?

All publishers and developers must comply with the EU user consent policy, including AdSense, AdMob, DoubleClick Ad Exchange, and Doubleclick for Publishers. For more information, please refer to the AdSense Program Policies, the Google DoubleClick Ad Exchange (AdX) Seller Program Guidelines and the DoubleClick Platforms Program Policies.

What happens if I do not comply?

Failing to comply with the EU user consent policy would result in escalation, and ultimately in the termination of your account.

Can you suggest how to phrase the consent message on a website?

While we cannot tell you what your consent message should say — because it will largely depend on your own uses of cookies and other information, and the third party services you work with — we can give you some pointers.

Here’s a message that might be appropriate for your website, if you use products like Google AdSense or some Google Analytics features. Just remember, you’ll need to adjust this to suit your own uses of cookies and other information.

“We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information from your device with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. [OK]”

For more help, see Cookiechoices.org.

Do I need to show consent messages on mobile websites as well?

Yes. Though we appreciate that screen size may necessitate a short message.

Can you suggest how to phrase the consent message within an app?

Just like with the desktop and mobile web consent messages, it will largely depend on your own uses of cookies and other information, and the third party services you work with. However, we can give you some pointers. Here is a sample message for an app:

“We use device identifiers to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share such identifiers and other information from your device with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. [See details] [OK]”

I hope that this solves your issue. If you still have any concerns, please reply to this email.

So what do you think? Is it also for NATIVE Android applications and games?

The whole thing, even the website, is around COOKIES. It will affect those native apps that are using webviews. That’s what some devs are saying in other forum.

Still, there is no certain answer for this.

I don’t receive the mail. I just use AdMob for my apps. No webviews , Analytics features…

I didn’t receive this email. Maybe because I am not registered to Admob, Google Analytics and Adsense

I’m talking with a contact at Admob tomorrow, so I’ll ask them what the deal is for apps and games regarding this and post what they say.

That would be awesome. Please let us know. Thanks.