your income for 20k daily users

Is the revenue you mentioned all ad revenue or includes Tapjoy/GetJar type revenue ?

Mine is ads and a little bit of IAP (remove ads). Ads are AdMob and Amazon.

Amazon ads ? Do you find those pay well - or do you mean product suggestions in your app for Amazon products - which means you get referral revenue (I am considering doing this for my app - i.e. refer to some possibly related physical goods on Amazon). What percentage of revenue from this ?

Or do you mean Amazon ads as in banner ad type - as offered by Amazon - do they work like usual ads - or do you keep getting referral revenue from all purchases made by user in next 24 hours (as long as the browser etc. cookie lasts).

Thanks.

for the web, they offer 4% of item value to associates. Some categories have a special 6%. For non-webview based apps, I doubt if amazon’s 24 hour stuff works as there is nothing like cookie in those kind of apps

What would you say would be the revenue difference say between:

• showing admob banner ads and interstitials
  • showing Amazon ads that show products that you have chosen from a list that is best (in your opinion) for your apps users

My sense is that Amazon may not pay as much because each app install can pay good revenue, while to make same on Amazon would require user purchase a $10 or higher product (which would be less likely that a user downloading a free app).

Is there any way to specify products that you would like shown in the ad - or is it all hodge-podge (I sense a lack of unification in the Amazon SDK - for example the same thing can be done in slightly different ways with their Ads, the Associates program with direct link or in-app showing of product etc.). I mean it seems VERY flexible - but most developers don’t have the time to delve into all of that and decide which is the best of those options - they just have small apps they want to quickly integrate a new ad network into etc.

Regarding the 24 hour stuff - I suppose if one does “direct linking” where a button for a product on your layout takes to that product page in the browser - then cookie would survive there. But do users do amazon purchasing via the browser ?? Or would they prefer to do it via the Amazon app ? And is there any way to direct user from a button to the Amazon App.

I mean the workflow for “how to use” Amazon is not really set yet.

In my case I have a niche audience that I think I could sell some products to - for that “direct linking” seems best. Or maybe setting up a webpage on my server - and then do the “webview” version as Amazon docs show - converting the URL that is clicked on the fly - which I am assuming just ads the Amazon Associates referral. However Amazon gives NO example of what the webpage should look like etc. - whether it should have plain links or what.

Right now I am looking at spending hours and hours just trying this thing or that with Amazon before “understanding” if what they say is how it actually works.

So really a lack of clarity on this issue.

But if just some specific set of products is to be sold (and don’t care about referral for 24 hour cookie etc.) - then I guess direct link and webview should be ok …

What is the view on selling a paid version of the app via Amazon ? That is show the product page for that. How would a non-Amazon user download that APK and install it ? Does Amazon DRM prevent that APK from being distributed freely on pirate sites or can that APK then just be posted to some free paid apps hosting service ?

No, I mean regular Amazon banners. They pay eCPM as AdMob and other banner providers, and yes, they pay well. Find the thread I made about 45 days ago (it was called “Amazon Ads” or something), many people posted their eCPM on that thread.

Amazon has the affiliate program also (or whatever it is called) that lets you offer Amazon products on your app and take a cut (up to 6 or 7%), but I dont use it because I dont think it will convert well for my game. But as far as I know, yes, you can limit which products or category of products you want it to offer.

Best

I would like to be able to create a url that I can point users to which will have a list of 5-10 products.

I could show this at app start or like an interstitial.

One way would be I create a webpage on my server - and use that url.

I have seen “lists” that people make on Amazon - is it possible to just make such a list and then just use that url ?

I was also considering using Admob House Ads - to show a banner with thumbnails of the products (assuming they are recognizable) and link to the url (I think Admob House Ads allow url). Hopefully this doesn’t violate any Google requirements.

If you don’t direct the user to web browser then you won’t get the 24 hour window of amazon which is offered if the affiliate link is opened in web browser because the cookie is stored. I see people buy products which I never promoted just because they had visited my website http:/www.javaexperience.com and had clicked on one of the affiliate link and later made a purchase for some product like Kitchen Knife. How cool is that :wink:

Amazon says that their mobile ads (new) are only for U.S. - should one do complicated in-code decision (or if using mediation can use that ?).

But with direct linking - I am guessing the market is bigger since Amazon is buyable from many more locations.

I guess one can only try - direct linking should not be such a pain, and showing in webview also. I think the Amazon docs suggest that the webview method (if you use their API to convert the url on the fly as they show) - then all amazon links are converted to “open in a browser” - while others continue to be shown in the webview.

I second what adforandroidapps just mentioned above.

Mine is actually not a game. Average session is 1.7 minutes and I still get $0.02 per DAU. ctr is average and I don’t do any tricks or gimmicks. All revenue is from ads :slight_smile:

WordHero’s is $0.02 DAU. Most of the revenue is from Amazon though. I expect they are doing eCPM to capture a large chunk of the retail market by getting Amazon Market installed on as many devices as possible.

I don’t think Amazon realizes that since we have all been screwed by one-or-other network in the past… if they drop the rate, we will all switch the traffic away in a heartbeat!

I’m pretty sure they realize that. It’ll be like when Microsoft stopped running their own ads on Windows Phone. And now that Admob is dropping their support for WP7, Windows Phone developers that rely on ad income are doubly screwed… Good ad mediation is more important than ever. In the medium term, I would definitely consider moving away from the “free with ads” model, more towards a Freemium model.

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing!
I’ve got something good coming together that will use IAP and Interstitials/App walls. These two monetisation methods are the strongest methods out there today, as long as you have an effective platform to run them on.

Because I develop my apps using codenameone I cannot choose freely what ad provider I take.
So I was kind of forced to use vserv.mobi. Most of my users are in latin america and europa. These are my stats for August 2013:

Requests: 374,978
Ads: 38,636
Fill rate: 10,30%
Impressions: 27,559
Clicks: 1,888
CTR: 6.85%
Income ($): 21.544

So that’s almost nothing, what do you think?

And one more thing: since they setup mediation my requests dropped by 70%, so I think they cheat on the requests counting.
I recommend anyone NOT to got to vserv. Only ads for India MIGHT be ok, but elsewhere it’s just a bad decision to take them.

Greetings!