Worth converting Android Apps into IOS??

1. No iPhone is required, you can also purchase iPod 5th gen which is much cheaper
  2. I was going to buy Macbook Air but not @adforandroidapps has created confusion for me. In Indian currency, there is a difference of $333 between the base models of the two
  3. People can always copy your app, its title, artwork, description etc. Don’t step back from outsourcing. You never know if you get an super honest ios developer whom you pay good amount.
  4. Unity is best for going cross platform games but for ios utility apps/tools, you need to know Objective-C and xCode
  5. The screening of ios apps is not that strict, when similar and re-skinned apps are available on apple store too as on play store.

You don’t have to buy an apple mac to develope for ios. You can build a hackintosh. Basically buying (cheaper) parts and installing ios on them. It used to be very hard to get ios running on non apple hardware, but it’s gotten a lot easier. http://lifehacker.com/5919132/build-the-mac-pro-that-you-wish-apple-released
This is what I’m going to do when my next libgdx game is ready. Except I’ll buy even cheaper hardware than is listed in that article. I’ll only be using it to build my ios versions. Apple can keep their trash.

I just triple boot Windows 8.1, 10.9.2. Mavericks and Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. With a GSM USB stick I can build and upload apps wherever I am and for any smartphone.

why do you need windows when you have mac installed on the laptop. probably windows is in our blood now.
Anyways I know there options to use mac without purchasing it and I am doing it using VMWare but it really sucks. Going to purchase mac book air 13 inch in a day or two.

I need Visual Studio for Windows Phone 8 Apps. Also for tons of other coding. I could switch things like PHP and MySQL to Mac but I still need Visual Studio for C# and SQL Server for databases.

I think one other disadvantage with the macbook air is that it maybe difficult to add more memory.

If you get a 4GB Mac Pro - you can add 4GB more to make it 8GB - which should be enough for most tasks.

However, the MacBook Air advantage is that the SSD is definitely faster than the hard drive. Although a subtle disadvantage with the SSD is that it is difficult to use it in another machine to transfer your data if the laptop fails - evidently the SSD drives in the MacBook Air vary from year to year.

I was using a MacBook Air (used) that failed - and I wound up buying a MacBook Pro as replacement (added memory to make it 8GB). Though initially I could sense that it was not much faster than the MacBook Air - and some startup times may have been slightly sluggish (since MacBook Pro uses a hard drive) - but over time I see it as not much worse than the MacBook Air. At least I have the sense of security that if this machine fails, I can recover my data by taking out the (traditional) hard drive.

Maybe newer models may have differences - i.e. maybe now the MacBook Pro has an SSD option also or something … don’t know.

Are there issues with hackintoshes - regarding Apple App Store - and Apple checking some hardware key for validity etc. ?

@Crichton333 yes its like what is more important for you. If windows phone dev is more important and you want to spend lot of time on it then working on VM will be pain. Likewise if you want to go full blown into mac/ios dev world then its better to have mac. Its just a matter of priorities. For me, managing VM’s and multiple OS sucks big time.

I have purchased an external WD 1TB HDD. Taking my backups all the time on it. Just visited apple store yesterday and macbook air is super light + they are giving $200 off on iphone/ipod. I would probably get an ipod and save some money as I don’t want iPhone for my regular use.

Did you purchase macbook air 13 inch as well?
I will go for the same if it does not heat up with eclipse dev work.

iPod will have bigger screen size i guess. how you gonna estimate the layout stuff for smaller screens?

Instead of Mac book air you can buy Mac book pro, Mac book air is not for development work it is just for lightweight work like browsing etc, Mac book pro will be good for development, iPod is same as iPhone but without mobile network connectivity but you can use wifi for network connection the screen size is more or less same as iPhone it is not bigger.

The chips on the hardware are the same just one made for Apple and one made for HP in the same factory, and I dont think they even care because Mavericks is free now.

may i know your source of comparison between macbook air and mackbook pro.

Currently I have Lenovo T420 which has similar Core i5 3rd gen + 4GB RAM and can hold all my work load. I asked the same question on iphonedevsdk and was told that macbook air can hold more than 70+ apps in android and 50+ in xCode. I am more inclined about macbook air because these machines get outdated every year and are depreciating assets.
Macbook air processor provides turbo boost till 2.5GHZ and Macbook pro i5 processor provides turbo boost till 3.1GHz. But the base clock speed of both has a huge gap.
@gcc, I have ordered it on Imagine store and they have refused to give discount on iphone/ipod. As they offer Rs10000 accessories, I have opted for Apple Magic mouse and power dock. For development, I ordered iphone 4 from infibeam for Rs 20000.
Hope that helps…

why MacBook Air 13-inch dual-core i5 1.3GHz/4GB/128
Why not MacBook Air 11-inch dual-core i5 1.3GHz/4GB/128 ?

From Spec point of view i only see the display difference. 11-Inch could be connected to some other bigger display to save some money.
both 11 or 13 inch display is not going to help to open bigger files in eclipse in anyway.
13-inch is around $130 expensive than 11-inch. Any suggestion on this?

Larger display is always better - because you will wind up (esp. if you have the MacBook Air) using it in a mobile way (unlikely to be using with an LCD).

In fact one thing going in the favor of MacBook Air - is that it has a HIGHER pixel count compared to the MacBook Pro.

So when I moved from MacBook Air 13 inch - to the MacBook Pro (base model + 4GB RAM added to make 8GB total) - I noticed that the screen seemed to cover less stuff in Eclipse etc. And then I checked and I think the pixel count was lower for the MacBook Pro (even though it also is 13 inch).

If you really want to hook up a mac machine to an LCD - then the iMac base model will be cheaper - probably 50% of the price of the MacBook Air I think ?

Mac mini you mean :wink:

Yes, I think that might be what it’s called :slight_smile:

Generally that seems to be the recommended machine for lowest entry cost (i.e. if you don’t want a hackintosh etc.).

yes @gcc, if anyone wants to connect mac to bigger display then its better to buy mac mini.Its super cheap compared to macbooks but you won’t be able to work on it while lying on bed. Also 11 inch seemed too small. Everytime I tried it in imagine showrooms it felt like a toy laptop.

Also he wont be able to see the emulator screens on a 11inch laptop screen.

Today i got hold of first iPhone of mine. But its iphone4. Now waiting for macbook which I should get tomorrow.