What's your plan for 31st August?

Yes, I have been searching the web wondering how LeadBolt and StartAPP think that compliance to these lines:

“It must be clear to the user which app each ad is associated with or implemented in.”

“If an ad makes such changes it must be clear to the user which app has made the change and the user must be able to reverse the change easily, by either adjusting the settings on the device, advertising preferences in the app, or uninstalling the app altogether.”

is accomplished with a warning that the App may install Icons or shortcuts…

Personally, I do not think that the terms are vague. They are crafted to prevent any sort of deception which is exactly what installing a “Top Apps” button creates.

I do not see how any SDK update so far from any of these companies is compliant. Also, LeadBolt’s Notification ads are not putting the Display Name in the notification ad to let user’s know which app the ad is associated with! (Yes I followed the instructions to update the dashboard Display Name)

I am going to have to stick with just push ads with AirPush until these guys get their act together…

“LeadBolt’s Notification ads are not putting the Display Name in the notification ad to let user’s know which app the ad is associated with!”

that’s not true…

every LeadBolt’s Notification looks like:

<advertisement> <opt-out info> <which app sent ad>

about installing Icons - I agree that there might be some risk…

It’s true (at least for me).

I had the same problem until 4 days ago. Then I just stopped using Leadbolt. Maybe a bug on their side?

Well, at least on my phone the text does not scroll, so you cannot see which app sent the ad, and most of the time neither the opt-out info.

That means that if the notification text does not scroll (which seems to be the case on some phones) the user will never see which app caused the notification ad?

Which means that at the moment every app which uses notification ads might be pulled from the market. Interesting times…

I have old, budget ZTE Blade (800x480) and everything is visible

hint from my friend: tap notification for longer time and it will start scrolling

This must be why I can’t see the information either (the ad is at the end).

I think I am going to be pulling notification ads until one of the networks has a format similar to:

<which app sent ad> <advertisement> <opt-out info>

so every notification that shows will have clear traceability to an app. Adding the app name to the end is just another form of deception these companies are using because they know it makes the ad source more difficult to track thereby increasing pushes and therefore revenue. In the end developers get screwed over…

@ kakofonia you are correct it does display it like the following:

<advertisement> <opt-out info> <which app sent ad>

Cheers

I’ve tried that, but unfortunately it doesn’t work on my phone running Android ICS 4.0.4.

I can’t see some apps I used to see in the search list close to my apps on Google Play… Did Google start the “cleaning”?

Maybe the developer clearing themselves. For me, I unpublished all my free apps on GM for now.

My understanding from a talk I had w a contact @ Google is that if there is opt out and the user can see why the add is being displayed then its all good.

Hi Carol, may I ask you what level of confidence do you have with your contact at Google ? It would be nice to have some official answers