Was thinking about amazon type affiliate vs. advertising today

Has anyone been able to get Amazon Associates going successfully in their apps? Does it perform better than the usual banner ads/interstitials?

I actually went through this. I converted my most popular app to work well on the Kindle and uploaded it to the Amazon appstore to try out the Mobile Associates API. (They’ve been emailing me for a while to submit my apps there)

I submitted it and they rejected my app from Mobile Associates because it’s a shopping-focused app (for people to track/rate/catalog things they’ve bought and create wishlists of things they want or plan on buying)

Q: Can any app integrate with MAA?
A: The Amazon Appstore standard content guidelines apply to apps integrating the API. You can learn more about our content guidelines here. The intent of MAA is to allow owners and operators of content-rich mobile applications to generate revenue by advertising Amazon products and services. Other mobile applications, including those focused primarily on shopping, may not be approved.

There’s a new ads API out there called IntentBrite. The ads actually payout on a CPC basis, which leads to way higher CPMs. You can hit them up at [email protected].

It’s complementary to Amazon in that (1) IntentBrite lets you access their adfeed from any platform, e.g. iOS, (2) even in cases where you’re promoting a specific product SKU, the CPC ad for that product coming through IntentBrite will payout way more than just sending the user to Amazon and hoping they’ll purchase the product.

Maybe thats a dumb question, but how about simply embedding an amazon referral link that points to amazon.com´s main site in your app (for example banner)? Is it prohibited?