Registering Google Developer account failed

Don’t do than. You won’t get banned. Problem solved. :slight_smile:

No my friend, not everyone does that …

Do that only it can bring you problems sooner or later, if you want …

This is also Google fault - this type of thing should be EXPLICITLY specified in the developer signup or app submission checklist (knowing that there are developers from non-english speaking countries who will struggle to come up with language).

I think if Google had a REAL developer-facing (perhaps even non-tech) person dealing with these “social” issues, we may have better compliance and less issues later on.

Google instead has a “let’s hide everything and let the damn developers learn by getting burned” which is a very anti-social way of dealing with the issue, or an approach where Darwinism philosophy informs the whole thinking of the organization.

What makes matters worse is developers like the above are STILL unaware that this could be a problem (copying someone’s description) - it says as much about the developer as about Google lack of enforcement, and Google having CREATED an android marketplace which give users a sense that copyright-violations are the NORM.

Google deliberately creates a free-for-all environment in which developers CLEARLY see “everybody’s doing it” - thus they are giving a wrong signal to new or naive developers about what is acceptable (as opposed to hidden in some legal TOS form).

The problem would not get started if there was a palpable sense that Google WANTS a copyright-free environment.

I think the problem stems from the fact that much of what Google itself does falls into the grey area - for example Google images and the caching of content has been challenged in the past for violation of copyright (same for Google Books by the book publishers). So Google has a habit THEMSELVES of working in the grey area - hoping to create volume that will eventually convince the content owners that “working with Google is still better”.

Unfortunately that sends the same signals to new developers who enter Android marketplace as well (since Google is careful not to emphasize copyright violations etc. issues to new developers). For example there should be a WARNING page when developers publish an app - which CLEARLY states that apps could be banned for x,y,z reasons.

So one of the problems with Google behavior is not that the bannings are wrong - but that they happen without the adequate social engineering (no pre-education) - and without a clear intent visible from Google that the issue is important to them - thus 3 months later new developers suddenly find something come out of the blue.

It is no wonder they feel pissed off - because the issue IS being badly managed by Google - they should hire some director of social relations who looks at these types of issues.

What Google is doing these days is “entrapment” - i.e. they create an environment where certain developers will feel inclined to “cross the line” (tons of copyright-violating apps on Google Play will be the green light for these developers) - Google will then hit them months later with a sudden (and lifetime) ban ! Talk about capriciousness ! It is almost like Google is toying with people - instead of first informing developers VERY CLEARLY about what the rules are - they want to toy with them and then come down on them like a ton of bricks. It is just an insane way of running a company and stupid from a social relations point of view.

The reason is very clear WHY Google does this - in order to create vibrancy in it’s market - and to have Google Play create apps for each market that people will download - Google adopts a policy of not taking down an app until someone complains (i.e. no pre-judging - even though this judging could happen right at app upload - like Apple App Store).

What this does is allow Google to POPULATE it’s Google Play store with TONS of apps which will NEVER have someone complain about them. Sure some developers will get the axe - if there is a copyright violation complaint - BUT this system allows for a 10x increase in copyright-violating apps to populate the market (thus creating an attractive environment for even third world countries - first apps which are developed are music apps with illegal music content). This INSTANTLY makes the whole Google Play store environment IMMEDIATELY VIABLE in that market.

So Google is ITSELF leveraging off the copyright violation market by deliberately allowing it at app upload - this ENSURES that 10x amount of content is on Google Play as is removed. And makes Google Play an attractive place.

If Google were to TRULY start enforcing policy at app launch, they would have NO apps, no Google Play market, nothing would work in the third world market - and no ads to show. The whole ecosystem would be stunted at start.

So Google itself CREATES an environment which breeds copyright-violating apps - 10% get taken down - but their ecosystem survives (with 90% of copyright-violoating apps continuing).

Google could stop this (or reduce it to 1/10th of it’s current size) if there were strongly worded messages EVERYWHERE in the Google Developer Console - and right at the time of app launch.

Google is very much culpable in this whole exercise - which is why I find their use of a lifetime ban (esp. if you did not adequately inform developers and are running you ecosystem on PRECISELY this behavior) really a stunning misuse of authority.

Here is an example - Google entry into India (and in competition with others like Nokia) would heavily depend on whose app store has greater vibrancy of apps.

In a new market, Google needs to distinguish itself - and it HAS. For example it is well known among users that the same app on Androd is likely to have more free levels - Angry Birds on Android vs. iOS as an example.

Similarly it is well known that “you can get mp3 downloads etc. much more easily via Google Play” than on iOS and other devices - so why go for iOS ?

This is a HUGE competitive advantage for Google (over others with more regulated app uploads - like iOS or Nokia/Windows Mobile).

For countries like India - where copyright implementation is weak - Google is ALMOST COMPLETELY leveraging the copy-violator apps to fill out it’s lineup of music apps.

Look at the Top New Free list on appannie.com:
http://www.appannie.com/top/android/india/overall/

how many of the apps there are copyright-violators ? Are you telling me Google does not have the resources to monitor their top 100 apps even ? That is, do what Apple does for ALL their apps - just do it for 1/1000ths of their total apps ?

Clearly Google is fully and completely CULPABLE in this whole racket.

Now look at their Music & Audio sub-category:

http://www.appannie.com/top/android/india/application/music-and-audio/

Under Free apps - how many are copyright-violators ? Nearly ALL the mp3 downloader music and song apps are copyright-violators not operating with consent of original creators of that content.

Look at the Top New Free tab - the top 2nd app there is a MP3 downloader app !

CLEARLY Google is leveraging off weak copyright enforcement in the indian market to “fill out” their app lineup. Google could EASILY require all music apps developers to produce documents to show they are showing copyrighted/licensed content. But they WILLINGLY DO NOT.

So Google should lay off the pretense and start showing stronger copyright and content warnings in it’s Developer Console if it wants to be taken seriously as not a party to this whole exercise.

EDIT:

Going all hoity toity on developers when someone complains only - and then banning them for life is immoral for Google as a company - given that their entry into new markets (and distinguishing themselves from more regulated services like iOS and Nokia/Windows Mobile) is ENTIRELY based on the perception in user’s eyes that “hey, let’s get an Android phone - we can ALWAYS find great apps for downloading MP3 content - something we will never be able to do on iOS”.

Punishing developers excessively - as if to cleanse themselves of their own culpability in this sordid affair - is the worst case of “passing the buck” (or tattling on the accomplice) we are seeing in the mobile space today.

@androidforapps
Google has been like that in other businesses too. I mean web search. I don’t think they will change unless new leadership comes in place of co-founders.

Wow Just Wow.

I don’t want to take sides but want to tell you one thing.
The day you are convinced that those other than you (like Nabukodonosor) are correct, you are gonna be a damn hacker giving google a run for its money.

Ok, Google now seems to have a link below Descriptions in the Google Developer Console - one can almost miss this - but it gives some pointers on how to avoid banning etc.:

Quote:

Please check out these tips on how to create policy compliant app descriptions to avoid some common reasons for app suspension.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113474
Google Play Developer Content Policies

On the next page (spam) it says regarding “keyword-stuffing”:

Make sure your app description isn’t stuffed with irrelevant keywords such as names of popular celebrities or other developers’ product names. Also avoid listing out all the detailed items from your app content, or all other apps you’ve published.

Keep your app reviews authentic and stay on topic. When replying to user reviews, don’t include emails or links to websites or other apps.

We do make an exception for developers who are responding to reviews. They may point to useful links or help resources for users.

Next page after that:

Product descriptions should not be loaded with irrelevant keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in Google Play search results. For example, if your app has nothing to do with Lady Gaga, then she shouldn’t be included in your description.

Here is the section about “incentivized ratings” (as opposed to just asking for ratings):

You may not tie any incentive or app functionality to a specific user rating score.

They also don’t want you to use your app as a window into a webpage (see “Webview spam”).

Here’s Google’s view of copyright violations:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/2985818

Interestingly it also points out that you should not link to apps or websites that you know violate IP.

Unfortunately, there are cases in which people purposefully infringe on others’ content. There’s not much to say about that beyond don’t. That includes linking to other apps or web sites that contain obviously infringing material (please refer to webview spam policy), and using icons or images that are obviously infringed.

Can someone confirm succesfull registration with a Visa gift card? I tried with 3 different cards from two different banks, and every time it failed. So, gift cards can’t be used anymore??

Can someone please advise me on how I should register in the below situation.

I have an gmail address for the team that is making the apps.
I will use a credit card of one of the team members to register a developer account using the above gmail address.

Will this be accepted or do I need to be aware of something in particular (e.g. should the gmail account details refer to the details of the CC holder).

Can someone please advice.

It looks like you are not working in a gray area and the credit card and gmail are for real person. In this case, just follow offcial steps to sign up and send all copies of documents (if Google asks).