Question to indie dev working for home

@javaexp I have a suggestion for you (and this is what I would do if I were you). Don’t resign yet. Take a 6month - 1 year non paid leave from your full time work. Try the work from home. If it it is meeting your expectation after 6 months then the scale is weighing more in its favor.
Don’t do half time home and half time work. Don’t take it for 3 months. Do it for at least 6 month. My expectation is that the first 3 months, life will be rosey working from home. Next 3 months, it will be come a fair comparison to work full time.

My 2cents.
Do let us know what you decide finally on :slight_smile:

I tried that. My company is not giving non-paid leave. They need my bones to be crushed in some accident to approve that. Bunch if crooks earning profit from me. However they do accept returning employees. I m planning to resign on 10th of june. I liked ideas about going park, restaurants or library to get daily breaks.

I don’t know how it is in your country but in Poland an experienced developer has abundance of job offers, so it’s quite safe to quit job. :slight_smile:

I quit my last full time permie job back in 2004 (I was a .NET developer) to take some time and travel. When I next looked for a job the first that came along was a contract role, and I’ve been contracting ever since. I’ve been lucky enough to take some quite long breaks between contracts, and never really had any problems getting another contract after such a break. I obviously don’t know the market where you are, but I guess my point is that returning to some kind of full time work after a break (whether it is to try a new home based venture, or travel or do something else) is generally possible if you are an experienced developer, and sometimes it can really work for the better (I was so glad to quit my perm job and fall into contracting).

So guys resignation day has come for me. Will post here with the update after I submit my resignation in few hours.

Update: last working day confirmed to be 10th July in my full time job

wow good luck to you, i like this forum cause developer share their life story.

1 month notice period is good. I would have to serve 3 months if i will plan for this ever.

Hows ur Mac converion going on?

IOS app discovery is bug issue. Initially you will get 100+ daily downloads but after 3-4 days it goes down to 10-15 downloads a day. I still need to crack the iOS market so as to get 1000+ daily downloads for any one of my app/game.

regarding last post, are you guys aware of any iOS related forum similar to making money with android?

Hello javaexp, I think you took the right decision, it is a hard one but one you can be proud of.
I did the same a couple of years ago leaving a big american company and I don’t regret it. I regret some parts (human interractions…) but almost everything else I don’t regret.
In particular, being able to be the only judge of your work is a wonderful feeling, no more useless task or meetings just because its routine.
Be careful of a few things though:

-home related tasks take time and your wife might expect you to do more than before
-neighbors, friends and family might consider you are just a lazy guy playing video games all day
-it is difficult to find a good rythm of work. For example, my self, I always hate myself when I think about taking a break, for example 1 day not working, because in theory I could spend this day working… It is tough to take a break and be happy about it at the same time :confused:

But it is worth it. Best of luck with your new life, I also recommend taking a break on a trip with your family just after you quit on the 10th of july. Don’t rush into your home work stuff immediately, you need to decompress first and going away for a while is a good transition.

During the first or two first years of working at home most people treated me as if I was unemployed, offered me a job even, advised where to look for work. They stopped when my money started to become visible (because I bought a nice car etc.). And I quite like home related tasks, I do much more of them today.

About to do same in couple of months. my website about very high quality tutorials is ready and will publish it soon.

expecting $10-20 per day from it in beginning. will leave my full time job if i will start making that much money so that i could focus full time on android development.

After 10 days, I have received great response at my workplace. Everyone is wondering how come this guy is going into business and leaving his job suddenly. Many have asked to hire them in my business. Very good going till now.

I am trying to maintain positive relationship with people around me so that I can get back to job if some day android fails and my other business ideas have not materialized. I am watching out for wearable tech. to pick up traction.

Yes, never burn bridges. :slight_smile:

Sometimes burning bridges is exactly what you need, having no other alternative make you do anything to succeed.

It could be an effective business strategy as well, a clear messages for competitors to stay back :wink:

But i agree with you in this context :slight_smile:

I have some savings to survive for next 9-10 months without having full time job.

So i might give a try to quit my full time job. even in office i feel like my feet are in 2 different boats.

I share my app links with my office mates very often and ask them to download and give me good rating.but they think what the fuc* is this?

I can clearly read in their eyes.
may be they have not tasted any money apart of their job yet. so its hard to make them understand.

moreover one can not do anythibg great with android development with full time job.

hey its 10th of July and you know what:

Do let us know how your experience goes and how you are now able to manage your time overall.

Hi javaexp. How’s your party time so far? I read from iphonedevsdk forum shared by members saying that the current Apple App Store market is not really good. There is a 7 days honeymoon period where the app will get high downloads and then after 7 days it will gone disappear from discovery. Well, unless you are lucky and the app hit the top chart. Mind to share your opinion?

@simplychoose - well, this is exactly what happens to all apps I release on iOS. I release only paid apps because of that - at least it pays for the $100 yearly fee that way (my two apps earned about $100 each in those first 7 days and since then I get almost no sales or even downloads on a third, free app - there is probably some way to fight this by paid ads or reviews, but iOS is still for me an experiment, so I haven’t try any of that yet).