On August 31, 2014, legacy AdMob will no longer be available. what it means?

Hi all,

I got an email from admob about account upgrading. Here is the fragment:

Legacy admob will be shutting down on 31 august 2014. this means that on 31 august, you will no longer be able to use legacy admob to promote and monetise your apps. specifically, please be aware of the following:

Ads will stop serving to legacy ad units that are not migrated.
House ad campaigns will stop serving.
You will not be able to access the legacy admob ui after 31 august 2014.
Further details available in our Help Center.

This is very important sentence:

“Ads will stop serving to legacy ad units that are not migrated”

As I understand ads will be served to old units but you have to upgrade the admob account. It makes sense (I think…), because in the new admob old ad units are mapped to the new ones. So I guess that when there is an ad request with the old ad unit it is mapped to the new ad unit (from new admob servers) and that new mapped ad id is used for the ads. If old ad unit is not mapped on the server then ad request will fail. So yeah… there is no choice and we all have to upgrade admob (I did it yesterday).

@reiti.net i can’t cancel it. there is no such option. i think that is because i already linked it with admob. i don’t know what to do now…

According to this: https://support.google.com/admob/v2/answer/6025739?hl=en, we need to republish our apps. So confused… So do we really need to update apps?

yes! all apps with Google play services and new ID.

But their email said “Upgrading is easy. No SDK update is required, so start using the new AdMob today without updating your app.”… Very confusing…

this is now. you can use new admob now without upgrading your apps but until August you should, or your ads will stop showing…

I’ve read a whole lot now and there are some facts:

old admob (legacy) will stop to get ads at 31st august. Everyone not upgraded the sdk will be without ad revenue - and it seems, they will turn off legacy admob at all so you will not be able to login to legacy and lose all your data - you will not be able to import any data after 31 august (from what they say)

google play services are NOT required on the target device. ad serving is built into the sdk you link in your apk. when there is a newer version of the gplay services on the phone, your app will use this but fall back to its own thing when not available (true for amazon i.e). if you use ANY other services from gplay services, you will have to rely on installed gplay - just for the ads it’s sufficient to include the lib in your apk. that’s confusing because admob is not stating that clearly because this assumption is only true for the ad serving but NOT for the other gplay services.

But you have to update and you have to resubmtr your aps whereever you have uploaded them. You will lose the option for paypal payout.

Personally, I use this work to update all backends I use in my games and integrate interstitials in my apps. But I still don’t like this step … but it had to happen some day (unfortunately)

For those already used the new Admob, do you get any emails saying that you must update apps with the new publisher ids?

No, no e-mails. And during the talk I had with adMob representative not a word about the need to get rid of legacy ids in my apps (fortunately most important of them use mopub which allows me to easily switch the ad id).

imagine all the stores who have an approval process for every update which may just be because of admob sdk update :smiley:

Oh no. I didn’t know that I need to update all of my apps with the new ids. This gonna be troublesome…

I found that we have much discussion on this topic, it makes us so confusing.

So i would like to conclude the solution of this message, so it is easy for all of us to understand

1. We need to upgrade to the new admob
  2. We need to change the new ad id from new admob in our application
  3. We need to change the old google ad sdk to google play service
  4. We need to public our app again

Please correct me, if i am wrong.

:slight_smile:

You are right.
But there is one scenerio in which YOU NEED NOT TO UPGRADE your apps. read below.

1. Upgrade to new admob interface.

2. Link with adsence account.

3. If you use Mediation, just replace the old ad units with new one (ca-pub **) in new admob interface. not in apps.

• In all above steps nowhere we need to update our apps.

• but if we have used direct ad unit ids,then yes we all to update our apps.

• while updating apps, we need to replace the ad unit ids with new ones.

• it is reccomended to use new google sdk only if you are updating ur apps, but it is not compulsory and does not effect ads.

• In google steps, they assumed that all of us are using Mediation, hence we need not app update.

Guys it clearly states on the sdk integration help pages of admob that admob sdk will no longer be compliant. And you know what compliance means to Google (banning).
So as of result, Iam updating all my apps to use Google play services and removing the sdk

another bad thing is that i will be forced to stop android 2.1 support of my apps when i integrate google play services

Can i use Startapp SDK in my apps to publish ads after the 31th of August??
Or only Google Play Serves SDK?

you can use whatever you want, but i think most of the ad networks released newer SDK-s that must include google play services…

still updating … many apps … eclipse regulary killing itself when removing libraries … still a lot to do to update multiple stores … oh man … headache. need beer

after migrating to new admob, and after signing adsense and adwords accounts upon sign in, can i change them in the future. for example now when i’m in the new admob, i want to change my adwords account to another (with another e-mail). can i do that or i’m forced to use these accounts?

this is so i can use account with currency set to EURO, because i make a mistake when i input currency type into my account…

According to this Google AdMob Help, it seems that we still need to update the mediation ID to the new Ad Unit ID.

Apps you previously monetized in legacy AdMob used legacy Publisher IDs to identify the ad units and legacy Mediation IDs for mediation. Both of these IDs have been replaced by a single new ad unit ID. To benefit from all of AdMob’s mediation features, you need to update the legacy IDs in each of the ad units in your apps to their corresponding new ad unit IDs, then republish your apps.