New language support in existing Android App need Update or any other provision?

I have query regarding new language support in existing Android App in the market.
Do we need to upload a new modified APK for new language or any other provision without showing the update to users?

Just Increasing “versionCode” in Manifest file in successive releases will prompt android user for market update notification or anything else need to be integrated in APK?

I had following values in first release
android:versionCode=“1”
android:versionName=“1.0”

Changing above to following will work?
android:versionCode=“2”
android:versionName=“1.1”

I thought about this before I released my first app. I chose to go with something like this (so I don’t have to think about it too much later):

versionName=0.1.0
versionCode=000100 (i.e. 00 01 00 = 0.1.0)

That is, versionCode is the same thing represented as those 6 digits. Obviously this means you have to limit to 0.1.99 and then goto 0.2.0 etc.

When I want to save version to local Shared Preferences etc. (where I want a unique number) - I save it as versionCode i.e. 000100 etc. The versionName is just for when it needs to be shown to user etc.

When I make a beta I use the same format - but incremented - so each version remains unique. Every new APK that is made for public user (or for beta shipment to someone), the protocol then being that I will always increment it. This way there is never any confusion about conflicting version numbers etc. So after some beta versions, the public version may go from 0.1.0 to 0.1.5 (with 0.1.1 to 0.1.4 perhaps having being internal/beta versions etc.).

Hope this helps.

If you want to add a language to your app - that is a change you make to the resources/code in your app - so you APK will be updated. And so must be uploaded again (with a new version number - since Google Play requires a different version number - for convenience we will ALWAYS upload an incrementing or higher than before numbered version etc. as suggested above).

The language additions to your app are done by making multiple folders in your res/ folder - where values/ becomes values/ PLUS values-es/ for Spanish etc. …

There maybe a way to only have a minor update (just having the language additions) appear ONLY to some countries (i.e. the countries which could benefit from that APK update) - but I haven’t bothered to find out about that - maybe someone can comment on that possibility.

There’s no need to create a seperate .apk for each language. Here’s a great tutorial that explains how to add multiple languages to your app. http://www.icanlocalize.com/site/tutorials/android-application-localization-tutorial/

@bugX,
i know the standard procedure to support multiple languages in 1 apk.
i have not maintained separate apk’s on language basis.

my first version 1.0 supports 13 languages. i wanted to add Arabic as well. so i was looking for any alternate to do that without uploading version 1.1 apk.

anyways i have integrated strings-ar.xml now and uploaded apk as 1.1

Increasing the version code is all you have to change. The version number can be the same or anything basically. Google Play doesn’t care what you put for the number, but the code has to be incremented by at least 1.

However, messing with different versionName and versionCode (so they fall out of synch) will only cause grief in thinking about it later.

As it stands, to upload a new APK, you are required at have a DIFFERENT versionCode (for simplicity of remembering etc. for the developer, the developer SHOULD probably just use a monotonically increasing versionCode (and for simplicity have versionName match that also).

If you start to mess with using a versionName that is “not actually” representative of the versionCode (or the “real” version of the APK) - then you risk confusing users - as it WILL register as an “Update” to the user, but they will be confused when the official (text version of it) versionName has NOT changed.

So my guess is using a consistent naming scheme will give you less things to remember (looking at the versionName or versionCode - in answer to a user question etc. - will ALWAYS tell you what is going on).

If the issue is “what do I say” in “What’s New” section - just say the minor stuff you have added (like “Added Arabic Support”). However, I have on occasion (when the updates are so minor - or are related to the repositioning of buttons or some such stuff that are more related to developer concerns about monetization - for example for a Tapjoy page you may decide that you want to rephrase how you explain it to the user - but that may not be something sufficiently big to mention in What’s New - which may better explain a prevoius major improvement. In that case sometimes, I’ve just kept the What’s New section as is (though in retrospect that seems kind of odd).