New admob produce many NPE since July

Recently i get many NPE with my apps and get many bad rate by angry user:

And this bug cause by new admob lib (Google mobile ads) (find from google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-admob-ads-sdk/DkjtCx_Zvn8)
This is error log:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at zo.a(SourceFile:172)
at aeh.a(SourceFile:120)
at afw.run(SourceFile:14)
at afy.run(SourceFile:30)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1088)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:581)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1019)

You face this problem?

Yes. After update to new SDK, I have for now one report from LG G3 user:

Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: attempting to read gservices without permission: Neither user 10128 nor current process has com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES.
at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1465)
at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1419)
at xs.a(SourceFile:133)
at xo.a(SourceFile:133)
at xo.a(SourceFile:118)
at ud.d(SourceFile:88)
at ud.b(SourceFile:129)
at ua.a(SourceFile:239)
at ua.a(SourceFile:176)
at aas.a(SourceFile:118)
at abz.run(SourceFile:14)
at acb.run(SourceFile:30)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1112)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:587)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:841)

I had such errors for months, but they were quite rare. Shame people don’t buy apps, without all those ads they would be much more stable.

I also got that but after searching I found that Google’s integration steps are missing one permission. Just search on stack overflow.com its gfservices permission which is required for adding GPS SDK for admob

I think everyone who using Admob Google Play Services integration experience this issue. In the thread the Admob team said an update to Google Play Services that causing this error will be done in a week or two.

javaexp - are you sure it’s solving the issue? Because from what I read adding permission is some kind of workaround which they don’t know if it’s working.

I read this thread and I’m really worried that my Admob revenue drop is releated to this buggy SDK :confused:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-admob-ads-sdk/sePctoDJbRg[151-175-false]

@javaexp This bug random with some user, and this display in Google play console. And only occur recently, i updated to new admob three month ago and it work good before Google update it

Yes that permission error never comes on my nexus4 in India but I had error reports from other countries and devices. After adding that permission, I haven’t seen any such exception report coming from users. As I have nexus device, it makes sense that I don’t see that permission error when testing my apps

Ok good.
Do you have exactly this permission?

<uses-permission android:name=“com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES” />

Yes that’s the one I was mentioning.

I also start to see increase of that NPE.

javaexp - thanks, I’ll try it.