Is it worth translating app descriptions?

That’s what I did - I’ve translated descriptions only, but in Developer Console there is a “suggestion”, that I should translate the app as well. It is not required, it is only recommended (like putting up a picture for tablets). I’m pretty sure that’s OK, because I’ve seen many descriptions of apps in my native tongue, but the apps themselves were not always translated.

I’ve never heard of google banning anyone for a badly translated description. It’s more likely that when you translated it and updated the app it caused you to be reviewed, and they found keyword spamming or something in your description. This does happen, most of the times people who get the notification, it’s right after an update.

Is that a problem…translating only the app description?

Well you might piss some users off as your’re leading them to believe the app then supports their language, but other than that, no.

I just didn’t understand how it could give him a violation e-mail.

What @XdebugX said is probably on the ball:

It’s more likely that when you translated it and updated the app it caused you to be reviewed, and they found keyword spamming or something in your description. This does happen, most of the times people who get the notification, it’s right after an update.

Yeah probably, I once got one of my app suspended couple of days after publishing due to keyword spaming…

Well I can’t blame google for it… I totally deserved it…I didn’t know their T&C covered keywords back then…

We did a write up on the benefits of localization (translation, etc.) We found that effective translation can significantly improve downloads, as long as you go further than putting your app title into Google translate. App Localization: Increase your Downloads and Revenue Overnight - Apptopia Inc. - Apptopia Inc.

I live in Thailand - Google is ok to translate word for word but a full sentence - no way - just does not make sense. I’m fortunate enough to be able to speak both languages and i have friends to help me with the translations. If i use google to translate back to English i cannot understand it - sometimes it’s very funny.

I think it depends on the type of application too and more importantly, who are your target audeinces. I once have a dating app and I want to target the Chinese in Austrilia, thus I translate my app into Chinses and it turns out to be lots of clicks, which means if you are target the Japanese people in the US and post the Japanese ad on facebook, because of the attraction of mother tongue, the click is quite good actually. But it seems like it could not be that good in a long run.

Nice article , thanks for sharing:)

Hi!

I’ve noticed this recently in Google Developer Console:
“Please check out these tips on how to create policy compliant app descriptions to avoid some common reasons for app suspension.”

I didn’t see anything about creating translations from Google Translate. Does everyone has this? In my latest app I’ve used the main keyword 6 times and it’s also in the title.