Hey everyone - advertiser here!

People that do everything themselves usually aren’t the type of app development businesses that we deal with. We deal with professional companies that develop many apps/games and they know that they are best at development, and that side of the thing.

Marketing and advertising is a totally different ball game, they let us do our job and they do theirs. There are only 24 hours in a day, and to be the best at everything is impossible.

Do they supply the ad art works or do you deal with that?

Also how do you decide how much to bid for ads. I could never decide. Do they give you targets downloads you must give them for a particular budget? If so, how do you calculate how much you need to spend per click to meet the target

We come up with the marketing plan & strategy, do all the design, data entry, follow up. Our clients pay based on performance, x dollars/install. Some clients have open caps (unlimited number of installs per day), while some others tell us they want xxxx installs per day.

Is there any formula to help you decide how much to bid for ads?

Nope, its all experience based. Every app we promote has a different approach. There’s no set formula - it really always depends on a case by case basis.

I guess it would be that you bid for ads - if you don’t get enough, you know to tack on a bit more so you do get the ads you wanted ?

Is that the algorithm basically ?

iamattila,

For my next app, I am considering whether I should spend $1000 for an app promotion campaign - on AppBrain or some such thing - and I wonder if it will help at all ?

Given I have such a puny budget - should I plan on spending it over say 4 or 5 days - spending it in one day I am guessing may wind up harming if the effect on ranking is positive for a day - then Google sees that downloads dropped by 90% the next day and immediately take it off the list. That is, is a sustained campaign better than a flash-in-the-pan one ?

I have a feeling spending $1000 over 10 days is probably going to mean no impact ($100 a day meaning like 100 installs maybe ?).

Compared to that I have ability to market the new app in my other 2 apps with about 30,000 banner impressions a day.

Would you say marketing in the banner impressions will have a comparable (but slower) effect vs. the $1000 marketing budget ?

Do you create multiple ads and split test them to find the best performers or what approach do you use to the ad design?

And are the ads just direct linking to the apps page on Google Play or do you use any sort of landing page in between?

Yup, we create 100s of ads, and then variants of those ads.

Here is a visual guide that was prepared by a company doing banners & landing pages for media buyers.

Hi all. My name is kyo. nice to make friend with all of you. Lets say we run an ad in game A, and it does horrible - we don’t make sales from that game - but for some reason when we run that ad in game B, we make a lot of sales (maybe demographic of game B is different/better suited for our offer/product) -

Interesting communication