Hello Google Policies

I think the point you’re trying to make is that Mobario has user value compared to networks that just display ads, correct? While that is true for some comparisons, the source of discontent from most users is due to not being able to intuitively get rid of the widget, it has nothing to do with usefulness/uselessness.

I’m still waiting for the day you make it simple for users to disable the widget. :slight_smile:

I’m also waiting for that day, and also the day where they aren’t trying to boycott other networks.

Hi @Lockdown,

I agree with you. Our product definitely could be improved and is constantly being improved. If you, or other developers, have ideas on how to overcome the “arrow” issue, or to make our product more intuitive, we welcome this feedback.

And I don’t think it is a bad thing to offer developers payment that are willing to advertise Mobario and enjoy the ride as we grow. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to some feedback,
Mobario

Hello Developers,

I have further investigated StartApp and their Bookmark changes and this is what I found:
StartApp (as you can see below) added at the bottom of the Browser Page the name of the app that made these changes. I can only assume that this addition is to make us developers feel more relaxed about them. I am not relaxed and neither should you be!

These additions DO NOT make them compliant and Google with get you!

The addition of mentioning by which app caused the change still does not make this form of advertising compliant to Google’s new policies.

Let’s see if us developers understand better than the multi-million dollar company that StartApp is (and of course their lawyers!!!):

System Interference:
o An app downloaded from Google Play (or its components or derivative elements) must not make changes to the user’s device outside of the app without the user’s knowledge and consent.
o This includes behavior such as replacing or reordering the default presentation of apps, widgets, or the settings on the device. If an app makes such changes with the user’s knowledge and consent, it must be clear to the user which app has made the change and the user must be able to reverse the change easily, or by uninstalling the app altogether.
o Apps and their ads must not add homescreen shortcuts, browser bookmarks, or icons on the user’s device as a service to third parties or for advertising purposes.

So as you can see, the policy is very clear about what is accepts and does not accept. In regards to most changes, the Policy say, that consent, reversal and being easy to remove is acceptable. About Browser Bookmarks is says MUST NOT!!!

So is StartApp treating the developers as dummies, or do they really think Google won’t ban these apps?!?! But what do they care? They will continue to make money from this change long after the app is banned since the browser will still be StartApp’s.

Check the screenshots for yourself and you decide. Don’t say after that you were not warned…

Policy doesn’t accept adding bookmarks, but it doesn’t say anything about changing home page. StartApp is changing home page link and as far as I know bookmark != home page.

Great remark, but clearly wrong.

The changing of the Homepage is done by adding a Bookmark, and this is a clear violation.

The only way to restore your browser to its origin is by “clear data”. (See below)

startapp and appwiz provide this homepage ad format. With startapp, we can choose not to use the homepage ad but with appwiz, we are forced to use this homepage ad.

Changing of the Homepage isn’t done by adding new Bookmark. It is done by changing default site url in “setting”->“set home page”->“default page” link and those setting are not bookmark for sure. When you install app with StartApp and you agree to EULA you will not get any new bookmark in your browser. Only “default page” link is changed to startapp search.

User in easy way can change home page to his own by following this startApp tutorial: http://search-results.mobi/static/privacy/privacy.html

Although, I must agree that user need to clear Internet browsers data to set “default page” to default one = google search.

I have installed app with appwiz, accept eula and didn’t get any new homepage. AppWiz change your home page?

At least when I try to download UI from their website, the checkbox for Homepage ad can’t be de-selected. I stopped there only.

Your comment is interesting.
But how do you explain that the Browser is not returned to its default status after removing the app that made the change?

IMO that’s a clear violation. All the others are on a gray area. So I wouldn’t get surprised it gets devs banned.

I hope AppWiz and StartApp are aware of this and that they integrate that functionality.

Ehh, I’m not defending StartApp. I just pointed, that bookmark is not the same as homepage and in this field startApp is compliant.

However, I’m not sure if StartApp is compliant according to this google play policy statement:
System Interference:
This includes behavior such as replacing or reordering the default presentation of apps, widgets, or the settings on the device. If an app makes such changes with the user’s knowledge and consent, it must be clear to the user which app has made the change and the user must be able to reverse the change easily, or by uninstalling the app altogether.

• user must be able to reverse the change easily : they can change homepage by themself (http://search-results.mobi/static/privacy/privacy.html), but only way to change “default page” to default one is to clear Internet browser data in android settings. It is not so obvious and easy.
    OR
  • user must be able to reverse the change by uninstalling the app: not working. When user uninstall app homepage link will remain. Not compliant.

IMO only google knows if startApp is compliant and we might only guess. Maybe somebody will try to ask google about it :slight_smile: ?

Guess which Ad Network is next on our Hit List!?

My guess: Admob

good guess

Hello Fellow Developers,

I have spent many days, nights and weeks investigating Mobario and these are my findings:

1. Mobario seems to be very similar in the technology to Facebook Messenger (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.orca) & other Floating apps (see examples: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=floating)

2. I believe that Google keeps track of every package and class in every APK on the Google Play Store. Therefore, when they decide to remove a certain package/SDK (e.g. PingJam), it makes it very easy to do so. No app can escape…

Although Mobario is threading thin water and remaining in a very gray area, it is my understang that at present, Mobario is Compliant.

If Mobario’s APK & SDK were not compliant, we would see more than just a handful of apps banned by claims that it is at Mobario’s fault, and their APK - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobario - would not be LIVE on the Google Play Store.

Further more, I have found hundreds of apps that have integrated Mobario’s technology by searching for “Mobario” or “On-Top-Widget”.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=mobario&c=apps
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=on-top-widget&c=apps

In regards to the apps that were banned, I read every single post, reply and cross referenced it with additional material and found that there were possibly additional reasons for their banning.

I hope this information helps and look forward to your replies.

Always here to Investigate :rolleyes:

Android Investigator

Hi @Android_Investigator,

Thank you very much for your post and clarification.
Mobario will continue to follow the rules that Google sets forth and serve our developers loyally.

I would like just to strengthen what you have mentioned and add the following:

1. According to the new and older policy, developers may change the system appearance if the user gave them their consent. Before Mobario enables its OnTopWidget we display to the user a video tutorial and afterwards we prompt them a EULA where they are asked if they want our product. We enable Mobario only after the user’s consent.

2. We do not drop icons or shortcuts on the user desktop to lead to commercial advertising. Rather we create a new floating layer that gives the user its content according to its preferences - so in reality we improve the user’s experience, which is the main objective of Mobario - enhance the mobile user’s experience.

3. The user knows at every moment the source app of our OnTopWidget, so the user can stop it easily when not wanted anymore.

Furthermore, Mobario will continue to develop its widget to remain compliant at all times and enhance the UI of the user.

Thank you again,
Mobario_Man

Hi,
I’m not sure if this is something that you’d look into. I created an app that connected to other apps in the Google Play store. The apps carried sexualized information. That being of karma sutra positions or similar. The app itself didn’t get banned but the app wasn’t allowed to earn revenue with admob citing sexually explicit content. Has anyone else had an experience like that?