Google play bad rating after 10th december

I also feel that my new ratings are bit better since yesterday.

Maybe google is now filtering ratings somehow - for example when person rates 5 games in a row with 1 star, they could reject such rates. Anyway they could do it on their side without changing google play app.

Not sure, but I’m seeing it across the board.

My own impression of that box is that it is BY DESIGN giving a very wrong sense to users.

For instance when I see those 5 stars all spaced out like that, I feel like pressing it somewhere in the middle.

The effect maybe very different if it was a line which said:

Rate: * * * * *

Instead of the current new version:

Also I have seen in the main Google Play a box asking for rating for some other app (which I have installed).

Some here are suggesting that users maybe asked for apps which were used and already uninstalled - I don’t know about that.

The question is, why has Google Play taken upon itself the responsibility of reminding users to rate an app ? Instead of the app deciding that ?

Is Google Play planning some bigger role for ratings for rankings etc. - for which it is trying to clean up the ratings system ?

It might not show uninstalled apps but it definitely shows apps installed on your other devices - I’ve just got a box like that. At first I thought it was asking for uinstalled game but then I’ve remembered that I have it installed on an old tablet.

1. Why Google titles the rating box as “Want Quick Suggestion?”
  • the user will think he rates the relevance of the app suggestion, not the quality of the app itself.
    This is misleading the users - they think this is like Last.fm, trying to learn their taste.

Say (as a user) I have the best calculator I’ll ever need, but never rated it.
Now this stupid box says: “want Quick Suggestion?” and displays this wonderful app.
The common lazy user doesn’t read the small print, and just say: “What a lame suggestion, I already have that.” and gives 1 to get the next suggestion.

A stupid thing about this box is that if the user gives 5 to this app, than the box gives him more calculators. (Why would he need that??)
If he rated 1, than the system should suggest better calcs, not? Not. let’s spam the next app.

Another stupid thing about this system is that they mix apples with oranges.
How can they mix ratings from this box with ratings with conventional dialog???
This is basic statistics flaw: questionnaire bias. They just can’t use two different rating schemes and treat them the same!!!
1 from one system is not equal 1 from the other, and neither 2,3,4 or 5.
Google MUST DELETE all ratings coming from this learning system from the conventional rating system.
They MUST use a different table for these results.
OR replace one with another completely. It’d be a new game field, but at least fair.

A better rating schemes should ask the user to tap a reason a low rating with:
(a) not relevant to my needs
(b) missing key features
(c) poor execution

And DON’T use option (a) for the rating calculations.

1. Why the stars are not marked clearly from “terrible app: 1 - excellent app: 5?”
    There are users with right to left languages, where the direction is swapped. want to give 5, rate 1 by accident

2. Why the box disappears instantly? can’t regret, roll back, add a comment.

3. why Google didn’t think it’s important enough to have any announcement in the dev console?

4. Why they did such a move when all Google executives are on vacation?

Is anyone seeing increased installs from the app suggestions? One of my more popular apps has been getting higher than normal installs the last few days.

Hi,

how do you know it’s from the app suggestions?

I don’t know for sure, is why I’m asking if anyone else is seeing higher installs. It could be Christmas time boost or a number of things but yesterday my installs were almost double for one of my apps.

Ah ok. I thought that finally someone had discover some kind of analytics to understand where the users come from (sites referring to, app sugestions, etc) :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum, but we feel the effect of this thing very hard on our apps, our newest game is very popular, and it got from 4.3 to 4.06 in 12 days. I think the important question is, how many of you contacted Google about this problem, are they aware of it? Cause we plan to release more games, and if this continues it will be really hard to keep them in an okay rating especially in the beginning. I’ve found this thing:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/known-issues/24493?hl=en
Recent Fixes tab, “Developers seeing a sudden large increase in user ratings”
If this is “fixed”, is it some older problem, and they think it’s fixed?
Let us know if you’ve contacted Google about your problem or not, cause this rating thing definitely needs fixing!

Exact same issue here, I’ve been trying to figure it out as well. No comments, just 2 and 1 star ratings for the past week that are not consistent with with normal patterns, and across multiple apps. Cowards won’t say why they’re rating low and it’s hurting my overall rank, but at least I know now that it’s not just someone putting the kibosh on me. The same thing happened a month or two ago, but the ratings magically disappeared after a few weeks. I hope this is the case this time as well.

This is getting very bad. Another 1 star rating today. This rating finally dropped my Google Play rating from 4.7 to 4.6

I am very disappointed with this whole thing. The “Quick Suggestions” box is so misleading and confusing, how did it get past Google usability testing?

One of my games dropped from 4.2 to 3.8 since dec 10th :frowning:

Only my 2 oldest games didnt suffer much from this, the others lost between 0.1 and 0.4 in rating… thats insane!

I have a noticable drop in downloads that might be caused by this.

From 4.44 to 4.02 here. Still dropping. I have a little under 500 votes in total, 1-star votes have gone up from 9 to 57 in last 12 days. It’s clearly affecting daily downloads now.

I get it that everyone is upset about this, but how many of you contacted Google? Does anyone think they are already doing anything about this? That question in the rating box is certainly misleading.

Dear Google:
We wish you a merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for teaching us our true value.
We’re not worthy, we’re dust to your feet, and humble to serve you.
And your (body fluids) on our heads is a blessed rain for us.

This is major issue…few folks are purposefully doing this…hate them…:rolleyes:
:mad:

Let’s think positive: now we have hard data on how ratings affect downloads:p