Giving your Phone Number out on Craigslist?

I know that many people here have used Craigslist in the past, and so I’d like to get your opinion on this matter.

I am selling a gaming laptop on Craigslist (Acer Helios 300). I just posted it tonight, and within 30 minutes I got my first response. This guy wants my phone number so we can text, or talk on the phone. Now, I don’t mind this type of interaction. And, in fact I’d rather talk 1-1 with the potential buyer. My huge concern are the scammers who use Craigslist to fish for new emails and phone numbers. I’m also using a gmail account that I made just for Craigslist. Should I give out my phone number, or just stick to email? Also, what about having the person come to my home? Yea, I know that meeting in a public place is idea, but I don’t feel like lugging around this gaming laptop. I’d much rather show it in the home than in some busy store like Walmart, or Starbucks. It would be very akward IMO. And finally, I don’t want to purchase a burner phone just for this transaction. I don’t use Craigslist much anyway.

Thanks.

I would give my number. Why not?

If I were in your place, I wouldn’t give my number to anyone, and I would choose to speak through the mail. We live in such insecure life, and from the moment someone finds out your number, they can easily find out a lot of information, even personal data about you. I recently lost my telephone and found out about an application such as Number Tracker Pro, where you can track any phone number worldwide. Yes, it is astonishing that such apps exist, but not always. Now quickly, anyone with my number can see my location. So I recommend you not be lazy, get out of the house, take the computer, and meet in a public place where you will feel safe and sell your computer. No stranger needs to know your number or where you live (for a safer life).

I believe you should not give out your phone number to anyone. I always follow this rule, I don’t need pointless talks or, worse, a slew of mailings. They usually come from a variety of websites and require verification by phone number. I recently discovered that I can use a UK temporary phone number, and the verification code arrives within 8 seconds, which is extremely rapid for such services. If I were you, I would propose that the buyer communicate with you via email or meet in a crowded location. Who knows who might try to take advantage of your carelessness.