[Free][Game]Robioactive, some questions about your Apps

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to present my new app “Robioactive”, I have programmed in the last month. First I go to the story and following the app itself, then I’ll talk about the development.
At the end, I present you a few general questions about your apps, applying your development and feedback

First the link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brandy_games.robioactive

If you want, you can skip the story:

<–App-History-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

• The small and sweet robot named “Robi”, was sentenced to arrange objects from a conveyor belt properly completely alone and without any help in the factory Robioactive.
  • Unfortunately, the small Robi is not very fast, as it has so short and tiny ants-legs.
  • Our robot is totally overworked, stressed and need your help.
  • Can you help the sweet Robi to assign the Robioactive products off the conveyor belt to the product boxes?
    <- End: App-History-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

App, Robioactive:
In this app you must prevent that the objects on the conveyor belt achieve the left end of the tape. This can you do by pressing the product boxes, which are arranged on the top and bottom. For each product correctly assigned a point is awarded. There is at the beginning a small intro with 4 images which explain the game. After that we go directly to the game. There are in total 4 levels. Only the first level is unlocked in the beginning. To unlock the next level you have to reach a certain number of points in the active level. Alternatively you can buy levels with coins, which you get in the game when you’re playing, or get Coins in the “MAKE COINS”-part by clicking on the advertisement (I’ll tell you more about that later in the chapter app development / advertising). So far I have built “only” 4 Level, however next there will be more available.

App Development:
I am a computer science student at TUM and can do programming (C, C++, Java, Haskell), but I have never dealt me ??with the app development. My goal was that I program an app with some flow to come in Android Studio, Admob, PlayStore etc. within 4 days. The background of this method is that I have noticed from some other app developers that they need 2-3 months for a mature app and then after further 3 months in which the app is to find in the App Store, the Play Store, only 100 Downloads will be reached. This raises the question, it is still worth at all to program Apps, or we, “small” programmer, are powerless against the great app development companies? There are a few more questions in the latter part. The idea for this app is not fallen from the sky, I wanted to build a game that is easy to program, but maximises fun factor at play. However, everyone must decide for themselves.

Design:
I had difficulties to design this app. Unfortunately I have two left hands, regards drawing. However, the app had to be appealing. I didn’t want to pay a designer because I didn’t know anyway, if there will be a product or not. Therefore, I have worked a little with my Photoshop and made some ugly sketches, but with these I have created a framework with colors and forms. Further problem, I did not know how to fill the backbone. The solution was Creative Commons. I was searching for a relatively long time. Yet I could find a few “nice” images and icons, which were freely available. Given question below for you. Netvertheless I had to paint a few strokes and bars. The same problem arrived with the product video, which I generated with Adobe Animate.

I would pleased if you can give me feedback on the design.

Advertising:
I really do not like advertisment in apps, but I would somehow be rewarded for my work, even if it reaches the end on a Club-Mate or dinner. So I had to make a compromise. I give the user the possibility to click my ads to make them disappear throughout the app for a week. After that, the app is probably uninstalled. But a click per user would be the optimum for me. So I am quite satisfied with less. On top of that you you can generate 200 coins in the “MAKE COINS”-part, to unlock levels. I think that’s fair. What do you think about the idea to make the user an app gift by clicking ads?

Programming:
I wrote the entire app in Java, XML is used only for the splash screen. Overall, about 2200 lines of code. I have built the app on the basis of a jump and run game in which was shown on Youtube. However, I had to stop after the chapter 3 of the video series, because I had to develop in a different direction. As a base I used a thread which calls the draw method of Game Panel (Surface View) every x milliseconds, thus changing the surface. The update method will change the position of the objects. So I achieve liquid movements. That works reasonably well. The entire app has only one Activity + one activity for the splash screen. In my Main Activity, Bitmap Images will be visible or not. This works fairly smoothly. One problem is that there are many events that can occur, which I have found after testing the app for one week. Is that too long? If you have any questions about my way of programming, then write me an email to the address below.

Timing:
I had scheduled 4 days for the app, without preprocessing. At the end, it takes 2 weeks + 1 week for testing . On one hand, I had to write my final paper, on the other hand I underestimated some parts of the app development. The designing part has own cost 3 days, seek out the Creative Commons was really tiring. The programming itself has drawn 6 days, adding 1 week for testing and repair. The promo video has cost 1 day, I had to “learn” Adobe Animate (I can recommend the Youtube-Channel “Draw with Jazza”). It was 5-6 years ago that I have looked at Flash, however it has been changed “a little bit”. The inclusion of Admob was quite rubbish. This has again engulfed two days. In short, it is a surfaceview and no pure Activity layout so adding an advertisment was not easy and at the end it worked for a reason I do not understand to this day. But that important thing is, it works. Optimizing code lasts 2 days. I had to do that, because it was sometimes a bit too slow. I did not want to program Multithreading, because that would have certainly tooks again one week. So scheduling-conclusion : from 4 days planned to 21 days in the end, anyway I’m happy with the result. I present you below a question about scheduling.

Questions about the app:

• Have you any guesses to improve the app?
  • What do you think about the design of the app?
  • What do you think about the app idea?

Questions about your app development:

• How long does it for you to develop an app? (Give an approximate number of lines of code, then I can better classify my project using Cocomo)
  • Do you have designers in your team?
  • Or rather, do you have a team? (I have my brother, who takes care about website and the legal stuff. I do programming and design)
  • do you spend money for your app development? (Design, development, advertising)
  • Do you do any advertisment for you app?
  • Why do you programm any apps? (Fun, Money, …)
  • Do you use Creative Commons? If so, to what extent?

I am happy about every opinion that is written down here. Any rewiev would be pleasent. You can write me personally, I will reply to each of the emails you send me and dedicate every question that you have, because the community is very important to me. A feedback from you is 1000 times more informative than a rating in the Play Store. I’d appreciate a download, or share the app with your friends.

I write the same text in several forums, in order to obtain a wide range of possible feedback.

My motto: The design brings the user to download the app, programming to utilize the app.

Email: [email protected]
Homepage: Brandy Games ? We love our Apps

Again the link to the App-Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brandy_games.robioactive

I thank you in advance. Thank you for your feedback.

P.S. the forums entry has also cost me a day, so 21 + 1 = 22 days :slight_smile:

Best, Daniel

menu.jpg

level.jpg

fruit.jpg

After all you’ve been through with this app, coupled with your experience it doesn’t seem/looks too bad. I guess planning and practice do yield good results. I will download it and give it a try. :cool:

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot downloading my minigame, I hope you enjoy. It would be glad if you can give me a little feedback after testing.

Here is my review JumblyApps