First thread and my first game

Recently I’ve put the game on Amazon market and fortunately it passed the rigorous tests taken by the bunch of Amazon’s minions. Of course the tests were also taken on Kindle Fire and unfortunately for me the game crashed, force closed and God knows what else it did. I’m not able to test it on Kindle, as I don’t have the device, therefore I would kindly ask somebody who’s got the Kindle Fire to test it for me. And also I would appreciate logcat reports.
Funnily enough Kindle Fire is based on Android 2.2 version on which my game works without a glitch. Ah, Android… :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Just released the new 1.0.21 version of the game. I’ve made an extensive changes within the rendering subsystem which hopefully will increase the game’s performance on lower-end devices.
@seedload You were right about the controls. I weren’t able to check this out (or even understand it) the issue until just recently, when I bought Samsung Galaxy Mini and saw how it works there. To put it simply, I’ve used Android’s deprecated functionality and this was mainly the cause of the rocket’s steering behavioral glitches. Thanks for pointing that out, but sometimes you have to see it to believe it/fix it ;).
Cheers!

I made it to the moon!!
Maybe you can lower the cost of tapjoy items, or give the option to buy with normal coins. I already made a lot of offers complete but was just able to buy two parts. I would need to complete a lot more offers to get the last parts.

Thanks for playing Martin :slight_smile: Yes, yet again I reduced the Tapjoy’s pricing

Yep, I can fly now! Good fix.

Regards

Steering completely sorted. Even my normal “ick, motion control” reaction has faded! Excellent work chap. Couple of things I noticed now I wasn’t worried about steering:

1. Saw a couple of planes stuck flying into pickups!
  2. Can we get some visual feedback of what the pickups do? I’m assuming the square brown boxes are fuel tanks, but I didn’t notice any change to my fuel tank when I grabbed them, possibly because fuel in = fuel out with a small tank - maybe a flash to at least indicate an effect taking place?

Glad that you’re enjoying the game falo and thanks for kind words on Market.

1. Yes, my collision system isn’t perfect. and I know the problem very well. Unfortunately I only have to hands and I’m not able to fix everything in one go :wink:
  2. Correcto mundo, those are indeed fuel tanks. When you grab them there is a slight increase in rocket’s fuel. I will have to figure out how to indicate the effect. To be honest I thought that simple sound effect will do the trick, but obviously I was wrong, again :slight_smile:

Ah, the problem is (and I’d be interested to know how many others do this) that I tend to play mobile games with no sound (as I’ll be listening to music on the tube on a different device or I’m playing somewhere where it’s inappropriate to make sound). I’ve probably heard the London Philharmonic’s version of the Angry Birds theme tune more than I have the in-game version! I could be a niche case, but I’m not convinced.

Yes falo, this is also a feature which I have in plan, but currently I’m focusing on different issues.

1. Also just recently I’ve integrated Millennial Media and implemented my own system of presenting the banners. Could you guys check it out is it works properly? Personally I couldn’t get any Millennial’s advertisement, but I guess it’s because there wasn’t any available at that time at my location.
  2. Today I’ve received quite strange crash report which seems to occur every time user re-enters from the moon flight screen to the rocket upgrade screen. Unfortunately very often Google’s Market developer console gives you nothing more than a stack call and sometimes quite descriptive information from the user in form of “this application is gay and doesn’t work” :slight_smile: In many cases those informations are simply not enough and tracking the real issue become impossible. Therefore I’m asking you guys yet again, if you’ll experience the same crash situation, please contact me in person. Also speaking of the devil, david (not you the devil, the issue ;)), maybe a section within the forum in which we could post this kind of issues?

Is there any way to easily identify on sight which ads are which provider? I’m seeing banners at the points you used to deliver them (homescreen, at point of launch) but I think there may be a problem. What I’m seeing is a small centered banner at the bottom, with a small gap between the left and right hand sides of the banner and the screen edge. This gap appears to be filled with what I think may be the background of another ad … possible you’re delivering two ads simultaneously?

I’ll see if I can get a screenshot when I get home tonight.

Ough, that’s seriously wrong… What device are you using?

Duh. Cyanogenmod has built in screenshot support. See below:

[attachment=21]

Edit: Desire HD btw. Not “seriously” wrong I think. It’s not blocking gameplay or anything, it just doesn’t look quite right.

Oh boy oh boy, it suppose to choose AdMob or Millennial, not overlap each other. I suspect the device you’re using is this one [1]? It has quite unconventional screen resolution 540 x 960. Still… it would be good to know which one overlaps which. I reckon the ad in the front belongs to Millennial network, right? I’ll have to check this one, thanks for your help falo, appreciate it!

btw Good advertisement, I like Bill’s books :wink:

[1] http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_hd2-3775.php[hr]
Oh and one more thing, just me being curious, when you click on it which one is triggered? Millennial should expand itself to the full screen I presume. Admob as always will simply redirect you to the browser.

This one actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire_HD

Don’t know why it doesn’t list the screen res there, but from memory it’s actually quite conventional. 480x800.

OK, trying to see what useful feedback I can give - sometimes it’s not always this obvious layer effect so it’s hard to know what provider it’s coming from - certainly seems to do a full width ad in front occasionally. However, one key thing is that the front most ad (assuming that’s what it is) which is visible on the main menu and on pressing the launch button is not clickable. However, when I pause the game (back button in game) I think that’s displaying the “lower” ad and I can select it.

Oooh. Just as I was writing that it changed to a more obvious admob display :slight_smile: I think the bottom one is indeed admob and so the “top layer” is your new one with the following problems:
a) Overlaps admob
b) Cannot click on it at all (does nothing)
c) Doesn’t display in pause menu, only in main menu / launch button

Hope that gets you a bit closer to the answer!

p.s. On re-reading your post it looks like you’re expecting Milennial to take over the game screen so I should confirm that when I say it “does nothing”, it also doesn’t block me touching the rest of the game screen so it’s not even there but invisible.

That explains 0 clicks within Millennial developer console :slight_smile: Is it ok with you to send the test build to you for checking the possible fix of this issue?

First update: I tracked the issue. I should submit the newest 1.0.27 version today. Feedback as always appreciated.
Second update: falo thanks for pointing the unclickable banner issue out. It turned out that my obfuscation process did a bit too much and probably cut out significant part of Millennial code, in result blocking the input events from the user. Many thanks! Fix already applied in version 1.0.28

Excellent news. Glad you managed to track down the problem.

Happy to help with any testing you need - nice relaxing weekend ahead! If you need to send anything just ping it along to oli [dot] wright [at] gmail [dot] com and it’ll land on my droid :slight_smile:

Ok, clicks are coming in. Now I just need to know if the banner that is presented on the main screen is properly sized within the screen (it’s width should be equal the width of the device’s display). Thanks in advance for checking that out.

Looks all sorted. Clicks work. Some ads don’t extend the full width (off by a few pixels) but I imagine that could be by design of the ads themselves.

I’m getting Millennial Media ads, filling the bottom of the screen properly. I can tell because after clicking the ad, it briefly shows a URL starting with “http://bank32.mi.clicks.mp.mydas.mobi/handleClick.php5”, before redirecting me to the Android Market. Googling “mydas.mobi” came up with a few Millennial Media pages, so I guess that’s the one :slight_smile:

A tool I’ve found really helpful for analysing bugs is called BugSense. It works in conjunction with ACRA to deliver much more useful stack traces & device information than what the Developer Console shows.

About the forum section - were you thinking just a “Bug Fixing / Crash Testing” forum where you could post about a bug you’re encountering, and get useful feedback from users? Seems appropriate to keep that kind of stuff separate from the promotional forum.

Yes, this is what I was thinking about. Eventually it could be merged with Android Development section as the section is pretty deserted. And thanks for the info about BugSense, I’ll take a closer look on that.

Update: Took a look, already integrated and it seems to work without a glitch. The bug tracing system looks very promising, thanks a lot david!