Curious of your opinion on Video ad companies

A little backstory: I launched my first app back in June. It’s had some success but honestly, it may have been a little hard to control (FPS games never really work on touch screens) for some users, which has held it back from really succeeding. However, I have learned from my past mistakes and I’m getting ready to release my 2nd game which is a 2.5d platformer. It’s easy to control, looks great and overall it’s just a much better game than my first. So I am now trying to finalize my monetization plan for this new game.

When I launched my first game, I mainly used full page ads. I tried AdBuddiz, Startapp and AppNext, all of which are great companies but if no one is downloading the games advertised you don’t make any money. Also most of the games advertised were popular games that most people already have installed.

Therefore, I switched to video ads. This way, even if the user didn’t download the ad, I still made something. I started out with Adcolony. Unfortunately, their ads could not be skipped which frustrated my players and led to a lot of bad reviews. The pay per finished video was also very low at only a fraction of a cent most of the time. Worst of all was their support. I sent many e-mails to them asking for help setting up their optional skippable ads and never heard back. So I left them.

Now I’m using Everyplay Unity ads. They were very easy to set up and their support is a little better but their earnings system is not consistent. The fist couple days, I saw earnings. However, over the past week I haven’t seen any earnings (even though there have been a considerable amount of finished videos). I am still waiting to get an explanation for this.

Have any of you had any experience with Everyplay Unity ads? Also are there any other good dependable video ad companies out there?

Therefore, I switched to video ads. This way, even if the user didn’t download the ad, I still made something. I started out with Adcolony. Unfortunately, their ads could not be skipped which frustrated my players and led to a lot of bad reviews.

I believe proper placement is important. Play the video when they are not currently playing.

Sorry forgot to mention that I only play the video ad when the user gets a Gameover. The issue with Adcolony is that some of those ads got up to 30 seconds which is way too long for an in game ad.

what was your average payout per forced view if you dont mind me asking? is it like 1 cent per view?

It varied. Usually it was around 1 cent per view (which is very low IMO for a 20 second ad). Other times, they would only pay a fraction of a cent. It doesn’t sound like much (and it should be more) but you wouldn’t believe how fast those pennies add up. Unfortunately, the pay wasn’t worth the low ratings I was getting. I went from a 4.7 Star average to a 3.18 average.

Everyplay seems to pay more but they pay on a different system. Sometimes they pay for completed videos, other times they pay for downloads and rarely they pay just for the impression.

I also stopped using adcolony few days ago because my users get annoyed with 30secs video that worth $0.01 .lol

Frustrated with the Gameover and having to watch a 30 sec ad video. I believe that video ads are good for incentivized (watch the video and you’ll get this reward, one more live?). But not sure if it’s allowed.

That may b allowed. Revolt car racing game already doing it with car batteries and adcolony ads.

I read this post How we earn $10 eCPM & 100% fill rates with virtual currency and video ads couple months ago and have been thinking about the same strategy for the last 2 months. Rewarding a user for video view with some “coins” or “lives” is definitely possible, just need to see if its going to be worth the trouble.

Hi Lostcity,

I’m Clara from AdBuddiz and just wanted to say thanks for the nice mention above :slight_smile:

Our monetization is better than ever now, so if you are considering using full-screen ads again, please let me know.

If you would like to send me a link to your games we may be able to promote them on Giftiz for free (which features the best games on Goole Play) provided that you use Adbuddiz as your primary ad solution. It would give you the potential for thousands of new installs :slight_smile:

Also, if you would like to give me the email account you used on your AdBuddiz portal I can take a look at your apps, see how your current ads are displayed and suggest how you could generate a higher revenue.

You can contact me on [email protected]