App with only StartApp suspended

One apo with only StartApp SDK has been banned by Google with reason:

Ads should not impersonate system notifications, warnings or functionality.

Some advertiser must have uploaded sensitive banner/animation. I think I can’t do much about these ads or can I?

You are using banner, or interstitial, or both? What permissions you used, does it included SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW? Without much information, I can only suggest to stop using StartApp.

only interstitials using inapp sdk 2.4.1
the permissions:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />

Very high possibility that this is advertiser fault. Can’t think of any way to avoid this. Either remove StartApp or complain to StartApp asking for a feature to filter sensitive ads/stricter checking on ads quality.

So far, appnext and appbrain had been no issue at all for interstitial. You could consider them.

usually same advertisier starts campaign across networks. I have sent support request to startapp. waiting for their reply.

Please let us know what they say. Sorry this happened to you @javaexp :frowning:

@javaexp, sad to hear that, I am using StartApp 2.4.1 too, recently they they show interstitial after app pause for a while, may be this cause this problem.
And i only use three permission for Inapp SDK:

<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.INTERNET”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE”/>
<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE”/>

But startapp manually checks the campaigns before they get live, so they are also responsible for that

startapp has asked for info like what other networks I used and I replied no other than startapp. Waiting for their answer.
Its getting difficult to find a safe ad network for me. First admob and now this.

Heyzap seems to be extremely safe they only advertise google play apps

receive boot completed and vibrate? Startapp Only? were you showing apps outside the app using alarm service?

right, the permissions may have been a red flag assuming Google got enough complaints, what was your download count on this app?

How do they even catch these inapropriate ads ? It shows for like 30 seconds and someone needs to report you. I mean seriously.

Hey @javaexp, very sad to hear that.

Startapp seems like a very good deal for a lot of developers, so don’t think this comment is about convincing any of you to switch from them to appnext.
I’m just clarifying that the way the interstitial is built in appnext (icon+text, full page with a white background) makes it very hard to impersonate a notification, warning or functionality. Which is probably why no app was banned because of our ads yet.

On the other hand, if someone really wants to cause trouble using a certain ad network, he’ll find a way, in the end. I’m sure Startapp are as outraged as you over these. This sucks.

the permissions like boot completed was required because it was a volume control app and not because of ad network. I will now not create such apps. Only games from now on which require only INTERNET, NETWORK_STATE or at the max WIFI_STATE. No to READ_PHONE_STATE permission too. By doing so, I will be at least sure that it is not a permission issue

heyzap ecpm on an average is?

I can’t see it being based on permissions. The amount of permissions required by loads of big time apps is crazy when you look into it. Either you just got really unlucky and a Google employee saw something they didn’t like or a user(s) did.

Google may not check the permissions, but the ad network/advertiser might use the permission to do something violate the policy.

We shall wait Startapp’s response on this issue.

Here is reply from startapp which is very satisfying:

[i][b]I appreciate your patience with us while we investigated this for you. I apologize for any inconvenience this situation has created for you.

As you suggested, I searched through every campaign that was presented to your app in the past week. After going through each campaign by hand and reviewing the creatives, we narrowed down the campaign that we think could have been the cause of your app being removed. Our advertising team has contacted the advertiser and have notified them that we have stopped running the campaign.

In regards to your question about choosing which ads you can display in your apps, this option is not yet available on the developer portal, but it is currently in development and will be available in the near future on our next version.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this had put on you. We are reviewing our campaign approval process and updating it to make sure that campaigns like this are never approved again.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.[/b][/i]

Whether or not the fault does turn out to be theirs, these types of systems NEED to be put in place! I really hope we see a dedicated push for this type of thing, since its us devs who pay the price, not the networks.
Admob already have this system in place, although it needs work.

I’m glad to see StartApp taking your matter seriously :slight_smile: They do have a good team over there and I hope your dilemma comes to some sort of resolve dude.