App for Kids get massive 1 star rating

I have an draw app for kids, but i get many 1 star rating. May be they don’t know what 5 start is.
Anyone have experience how to reduce this?

Isn’t it normal these days to get a lot of 1 stars without reviews? All my apps start ratings went way down in the recent months and a new game - although very popular - has only 3.6-3.7 rating. If anyone knows a solution, I would welcome it (for now I just try to fix even very rare issues and ask for review only old users).

don’t get me wrong, but maybe your app is just bad?

you will always have 1-stars. mostly without any comment. Most of them are just haters, they hate to hate :slight_smile: many others just have wrong expectations about the game and are frustrated then.

No, my app is coloring game for kids and it not bad, they are most below 5 year old (USA) .
1 star about 18%. I guess they can not read and understand, just random click on 1 star and no comment.
Or their parent see ads and give it 1 star? It just a small banner(admob) and i think if they complaint, they will leave comment.

1 reason i guess is someone see my app ranking rise up fast and they give 1 star rating to destroy my app :). It’s now 3.5 star:(

ads are not suited for a 5 year old kid, because parents have no control over what their children will see - it is possible that you got 1stars because of that - I often see such kids-apps for purchase only and I also saw a lot of bad reviews about having ads in a kids game.

Have you tried putting an adfree version online? I don’t think that 5 year old even know how to rate an app.

You could look into crash reports - maybe the game is crashing for people? Even though your app is aimed at children it might be the parents who are giving you 1 star. And what is your average star rating? Most apps have a lot of 1 star ratings. I am not sure if 18% is high or not. Some people also have completely shitty phones, are you sure your game works on them? Maybe it doesn’t and they leave 1 star reviews because of that (you could probably look what devices give you the most 1 star reviews or which countries).

Also since a few months 1 star reviews are often from people who don’t like or understand the new feature of recommended apps on Google Play. And rating is so easy now that 5 year olds shouldn’t have any problem with that.

May be i will try ads free version. But many app like that have high star with ads :slight_smile:

May app use much memory (bitmap processing) so sometime it crash on some low end device. But it rarely occur(0.005%).
For low end device i can not find how to fix that, always

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
in android.graphics.Bitmap.nativeCreate

Android more hard for dev because it’s have many device, screen resolution, memory… and software finish

An now it’s 3.5 star :frowning:

Have you tried using Mobile Advertising Network for Kids Apps, Advertise, Monetize, Developer, Mobile Ad Network | Ad4kids

Hi,
I have tried it and please let me know if anyone is willing know my view.

thanks

Well, I think may be kids know what 1 star it what I think is there is some lagging, which is getting you a single star I’ll say try looking more closely for errors, other than this is isn’t anyway for you to reduce those one star !! :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you post the link somewhere so we can see the app ? But yea kids mostly drop 1 stars because they dont get hot to rate.

Well, I want’t to ask you one more thing How can you be so much sure that only kids are rating your application ??? I mean that rating could be given by the parents or … !! Because I don’t think kids are … allowed to freely access !!!

Not exactly on topic but…I once spent a LOT of time coding and perfecting an app for kids to learn the colors. Anyway, after publishing I got something like 2-3 downloads per day :slight_smile: with bad ratings. My opinion, making apps for kids is a waste of time, money, nerves etc.

A little cheap philosophy: Do kids want to play kids games?

Yes… but Angry birds, not ours :cool:

Well, if I consider about the recent trend I don’t think that kids want to play kids game rather than they are more interested in playing fighting games or can say games like candy crush or … why don’t you try to make some games like it ??

I have about the same problem; my app is meant for adults, but is is rated by children. They seem the only persons that rate my app, and their mean age seems about 12. I also get 5 star ratings of them, but it feels like you are among the kanibals, so to speak. So I have to bend my head for the caprices of a 11 year old girl, who decides in her great wisdom that there is a lot of bullshit in my explanation how to use the app. Putting it on a maturity level does not work, as hardly any parent checks the phones of these problem kids.
I posted about it here:
http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/marketing-methods/11791-children-own-android-phones-google-play-becomes-kindergarten.html

Have you tried commenting on those reviews? The e-mail about the comment will most likely go to the parent of the child.

Yes, and I made it worse… I commented on a girl with this kind of remark; “Thank you very much for your rating, but probably you are a bit to young to appreciate this app.” An hour later I had four new one star ratings. She had mobilized her friends to nuke me. I tried to remove the answer, but you can not remove it completely, only change the text, so I changed it in something more neutral like: “Did you check your settings?”

haa… haaa i can’t stop laughing on this !! that’s why it is said that always be alert from the … :wink: