Android Income Reports And Monetization Tips

@A1ka1inE … dashboard updated this morning, all looks good. My impressions were off a bit, but that’s because of the dashboard not updating. No worries, all is well.

And what about the earnings? Is it what you were expecting or it’s more/less? How they look compared to other ad networks(if any experience) ? Everything would be useful to know :slight_smile:

i think its too early for me to tell, so far i am getting $4ecpm average CTR of 5% on interstitials, that is USA/UK traffic ofcourse. Seems pretty average but weekly payouts make it worthwhile.

Also, the SDK is 2 lines of code, it took me 5 seconds to integrate it…

Are the ads content good? ie: what type of ads shown?

After a 3 day trial run showing an interstitial after closing the help menu in one of my apps, here are the results. I’m going to give it a few more days, but this makes me nervous about sending them a large amount of traffic and possibly losing it all. The ads are top-notch and I really want this to work out because the ECPM looked competitive, but I’ve never seen anything like this from any network. 1 out of the first 3 days I had a $0.00 ECPM, and with more traffic than the day before? Only time will tell, I guess. My admob interstitial RPM for only this app fell from $4+ to $1.80 since adding this…The others are still high. Google no-likey when you use other ad networks!

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

Do you think AdMob sdk have code to check for other sdks in the .apk? That RPM drop is very curious…

I’m 100% positive that runing other network’s SDK’s has both a DIRECT and INSTANT impact on RPM. Myth confirmed…It’s really no different than when AirPush came out and said that they would only pay dev’s weekly if you ran AirPush exclusively in your apps and no other SDK’s. They know what’s up, and adjust your account accordingly. It makes sense to me from a business standpoint, I guess. Mark my words, they will eventually hold a monopoly on the mobile advertising industry through a series of phased policy changes. It’s their operating system and their market, you have to take that into consideration. Google makes money from Android through admob plain and simple and if you haven’t noticed, they’ve recently turned the “Ban-Hammer” up to 11. There’s absolutely no other reason for them to build and support the OS, if not to profit from their massive and already established advertising empire. I’m starting to realize that as far as the GP market as a distribution source is concerned, it (unfortunately) may be time to jump on board and use them (or their approved partners through mediation) exclusively if you’re at all interested in maximizing your profits. The success of using alternative ad networks in the not-so-distant future is going to depend solely on the popularity of alternative app markets. That’s just my personal opinion…

Day 4 complete…Thanks, but no thanks mobileCore. Maybe I’ll try again in the future, but as of now I’m really glad that I didn’t send a ton of traffic for $0.00 revenue two days in a row out of the first 4 days with them…lol…I’m not sure what to think about that but it’s going to be an “uphill battle” to get devs to sign up if this is how it is in only the first 4 days. I love the ease of implementation and the ads they show are awesome, but a 50% payment rate over 4 days is just plain ridiculous even with a small amount of traffic, so I’m not even going to bother their support team over it. Has anybody else seen anything like this with them? Maybe I just have bad luck, who knows…Back to admob only for me… :frowning: Firing up eclipse as we speak…

Untitled.jpg

I’m 100% positive that runing other network’s SDK’s has both a DIRECT and INSTANT impact on RPM. Myth confirmed…It’s really no different than when AirPush came out and said that they would only pay dev’s weekly if you ran AirPush exclusively in your apps and no other SDK’s. They know what’s up, and adjust your account accordingly. It makes sense to me from a business standpoint, I guess.

It’s not really logical, if they want you to come back to AdMob they should increase your gains to make it more attractive, not reduce the money you get. If your AdMob revenue drops, the next step would be to drop AdMob completely, which is not what they want :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the eCPM on AdMob dropped because the banners were somehow hidden by other ads? What exactly changed - CTR, CPC or impressions?

Even tho that could be true, for me it doesnt make sense at all (from a business standpoint). It doesn’t make sense long term, and it arguably doesn’t make sense short term also.

Long-term:

• If they can pay you a high eCPM and still profit, why not pay that high eCPM to everybody and make everybody realize that AdMob is a high paying ad network, and make everyone want to integrate with them (and then hold a monopoly)? Right now there are mixed reviews on AdMob, some claim they pay well, some claim they pay crap.
  • If they can’t pay everybody a high eCPM, then they will either drop your the eCPM after a while paying well, or will randomly pay some people higher than others (which makes no sense at all). In either case, if you are being paid well and then it drops, you will look for alternatives, so that doesn’t hold on long term.

Short-term:

• If they do pay more if you use them exclusively, they should clearly state that so people actually can decide on using them exclusively. If devs don’t know that, it will seem that they are paying randomly more to some people than others. It’s like having a 70% Off Sale on your store but not telling people about it - nonsense.
  • If you are already using them exclusively (and don’t know you’re being paid more because of it), and then try another ad network, then obviously you will either want to migrate fully to the OTHER ad network, or at least continue using both, since your revenue on AdMob will drop and maybe be lower than the competitor you’re trying - nonsense again.

Both short-term points could be solved by clearly stating that they pay more if you use them exclusively, but you would still have the long term problems (will they stop paying more after a while? etc).

Absolutely nothing changed except for the addition of the mobileCore SDK, and this is for interstitials only I don’t run banners at all in my apps because they aren’t relevant for my content and they just don’t perform very well due to “banner blindness” from my past experience. I didn’t take traffic away from admob, I simply added a mobilCore interstitial to a help menu to test them out. The next morning, it fell to $1.83 when it had consistently been at $4+ for 3 weeks straight and today it’s $1.52. Impressions are way up and the CTR for that interstitial has INCREASED from 5.27% to 7.31% since the addition, not decreased… I guess It could be some kind of crazy coincidence, but I think not. Again, just sharing my personal experience and my personal opinion backed by some pretty clear cut numbers. I wish I could post all of my data for the past 3 weeks so you can see exactly what I’m talking about, but that’s just not an option. On the other hand, my word game did 39,742 impressions, 6.92% CTR at $5.03 RPM yesterday so go figure…I guess it all works out and I have nothing to complain about.

So it’s CPC that dropped and it caused the eCPM to drop if I understand you correctly. I agree that is seems suspicious.

Well, the performance of these ad networks - including admob varies so much that it is hard to make such observations (often they are hard to replicate because of the conditions).

These things may make sense if we say have a daily running thread where people post eCPMs from admob on a daily basis.

However, EVEN this can vary wildly - I have two apps which are very similar - but I get very different revenue figures from them on daily basis.

The problem is:

• if you have NOT A HUGE amount of traffic the revenue will be “bursty” (or random looking) since the data is so sparse (even with DAU of 5000 or 6000). For 1000 users you may get 1 click on an ad - which may pay $1.00 even - for another app, if that user ALSO decided not to click you will get zero.

• there is variation between apps - firstly by admob perhaps sending different ads for different apps (maybe on basis of the app description, or just from what works generally from it’s history, if Google/Admob is trying to do something intelligent)

• And it will depend on the returning rate for users (if big percentage of DAU are returning users, they will be more jaded users - and suffer from “banner blindness” or interstitial blindness - perhaps even have muscle memory where thumb twitches to dismiss ad using Back button as soon as it appears)

Untitled.jpg

mine are a little “better” :smiley:

I’ve just passed a chunk of traffic to MobileCore and this is the result.

I dont know about MobileCore anymore.

2.5k impressions per day with $0 revenue a few days. 5% CTR

This is 90% USA Traffic too…

I stopped trying smaller ad networks a couple weeks ago, and removed all from my game, leaving only AdMob and Amazon. None would give decent or stable results, or a decent/stable SDK (many many crashes on most of them).

I might try on the new upcoming game sometime (not on its initial release tho).

On mC my graphic was similar to the ones posted, but with an even smaller revenue. I wont post the graphic here, but here is the consolidated value from 1 month of use:

Impressions: 44,229
CTR: 1.21%
eCPM: $1.09

Well, I guess that settles that…lol