Airpush Icon Ads

The last few days I see a huge decrease in the number of icon “new installs”. This coincides with
upgrading to SDK 6.0 . Do you observe something similar?

Whats your eCPM from icon ads? I never used them, maybe worth a try?

Last month’s cpm was 1.81. Anyway the only statistic from airpush I trust is revenue :slight_smile:
last month I made more from icon ads (5 per month) than from notifications (1 per day)

my icon ads are also around $1.80 eCPM …I haven’t experience any recent rise and drop, it’s been flat. Push also. Only my SmartWall revenue has had a very large increase revenue (per the other thread).

Normal stats for me…Icon doing pretty solid averaging $1.65 in July. Normal installs and revenue.

Hi guys, can you please share some stats or comment in my stats for the last week

App with 50k active users with airpush SDK, 1k downloads daily
Icon new installs 3.5K daily
revenue from icons 9$ daily

While for June, new Installs were about triple daily, and revenue double

CPM for icon yesterday was $1.52. June was average of $1.14

Thanks, this is helpful for me - even though I don’t use Airpush/push notifications/icon ads - it gives me an idea what kinds of revenue I am missing (since I have similar number of active users in one of my apps and similar downloads per day).

Icon ad revenue was $9 daily - what was the push notification revenue per day ?

My revenue in such an app is similar using:

• admob banner ads
  • appbrain banner ads
  • Leadbolt HTML AppWall (paying really low these days - I suspect because they have low ad inventory)
  • AppBrain appwall-on-exit

This means icon ads would nearly double the revenue (probably leveraging the installed base of 50K).

Push ads would do something similar (i.e. leverage off the installed user base).

Did you encounter user resistance - is the drop in installs because it is a new app and drop in downloads after first month etc. - or do you attribute the drop to introduction of Airpush type of out-of-app ads (icon/push ads).

What is the nature of the icon ads - are they silently placed on the screen - and point to apps on Google Play ?

Out-of-App competition

Many of the ad networks doing out-of-app advertising (i.e. leveraging your Active User base of 50K instead of just the in-app ads for the Daily Active Users i.e. DAU) suggest that they will limit the number of icon ads shown to users on a “per device” basis. For example, as I posted in another thread - TapContext makes clear that if there are 10 apps on a phone that use TapContext, then TapContext will NOT be showing 10x as many out-of-app ads - instead it will continue to show the same amount of icon ads etc. (and as a result the 10 apps will SHARE that revenue).

This is a question I and others asked many times - but TapContext was very clear on this.

I suspect a similar thing maybe done by Airpush and others (if they don’t then they risk inundating the user with excessive ads).

However these ad companies often provide a way for developers to tailor the ads going out per day to the Active User base. What is not clear is how that works with the limitation of not showing too many ads (or does Airpush show cumulative ads).

In any case, if ad networks ARE doing a “sharing” of out-of-app space (so that phone is not inundated by TapContext ads) - this means over time (as more apps use TapContext and similar networks) - that the revenue per developer will DROP over time (from “out-of-app” competition for the push/icon ad space).

The solution to this will be developers switching away from the saturated ad networks and into new ad networks.

The end result will be the same - i.e. user devices with excessive amounts of push ads (from Airpush, TapContext, and all the new push ad networks that emerge).

For this reason - this places the ad networks doing “out-of-app” advertising in a difficult position - do they adhere to a “we will limit ads per device” (as TapContext is saying) - or will they understand that if they cede space in this way - they are opening themselves up to more competition (the end result of which will be the same).

This would SUGGEST that perhaps the strategic thing for an Airpush etc. would be to NOT limit ads per device - but per app. This would allow 10 apps using Airpush to deliver 10x as many push notificiations. The competition would then be between apps - and Airpush etc. would let them battle it out (i.e. which apps are considered a nuisance and uninstalled first by the user).

But in the long run it is clear that you CANNOT have push notifications work as a viable revenue source - if apps ARE able to make money off Airpush etc. right now it is because other apps have chosen not to do so.

If the field were to get crowded and EVERY app used Airpush push notifications - and thus users got 100x as many push notification than they are seeing now with just 1-2 such apps on their devices - then you can see how this will RAPIDLY lead to some anti-push app on the market (or as newer Android versions currently allow turning off push notifications on a per-app basis).

Forget ECPM, 300 icon pushes per day on 15.000 active users and daily 450 installs.
So what does tell you 2$ ecpm with only 300 pushes? That your revenue sucks. I’d better take an advertiser who sends to the half of the daily active users icon pushes and instead an ECPM of 0.20$ will give you more revenue.

for1x, Are these your stats? If so there are worse than mine, maybe I shouldn’t complain