Viral

Is there anyway to find out what might have caused an app I made to go viral? I went from 300 downloads a day to over 18k so far today and over 95% of the downloads are from china and this happened literally over night no gradual increase at all…

Is there anyway I can try and find out what made this massive jump happen?

saywhat.jpg

Maybe try and look where your app was suggested by doing a search for the past week…

How would I do that?

Edit: Did that, nothing showing up not sure what’s going on! Loving the income boost though.

Use appannie.com to see if and where your app got featured. Maybe it was featured on the China Google Play homepage or under suggested apps.

I have only one explanation for the dramatic boost in downloads: Google staff liked your app and decided to feature it. Congratulations!

When you do a search on google at the top you can filter the results and set it to show results for a certain amount of time! I think it was just under the search box. You have to do it after you have searched not before hand.

And I doubt google featured it, the app was pretty terrible :stuck_out_tongue:

But thanks for the congratulations!

18k is awesome. This happened to me once, hopefully it will last for you. I think I got mentioned on some social site and my downloads spiked for a few days. Just 2k downloads over normal. All of my downloads where from Mexico. Never did find out exactly where the downloads came from.

What’s your app?

Did all that china traffic bring any revenue? Whats ecpm like there?

Yeah that’s the only thing I think that could have happened, I did no advertising or anything like that, I have facebook share features in my app but China does not use facebook, and I have checked AppAnnie and I was not featured so I can only assume some famous social networker in China mentioned it. Literally since release its been on 300 a day, up until yesterday where it ended at 19,611 for the day… It’s 9 AM for me now and I’m already at 14,000 so it looks like its going to be another crazy day! Just blows my mind how it’s gone so crazy.

I’m not going to say sorry, some people might decide to be asses and try to get it taken down. In all honesty though it’s just a simple prank app that I threw my own twist on, there are hundreds like it, I didn’t steal any assets or code but for some reason it’s exploded!

Yeah a tonne more ad traffic, AdMob is giving a terrible CPM though we are talking like 13p, MobileCore however are giving out $4 CPM for the Chinese traffic! My usual weekday revenue is around £50-£60 a day, yesterday I hit £154.88. I fully expect to beat that again today!

First of all, congratulations! I see 2 possibilities among others:

• your app got featured specifically in China (check rankings in GP China)
  • a Chinese website talked about your app (check Google web search in China)
    Either way, I hope it will last long but don’t expect it!

I’ve just tried searching for it by putting the title in to google translate and searching that way and it looks like a similar app has just had tonnes of press over there so its possible I am riding in its wake without even realising! Who knows… Hopefully the downloads pulls me up in other countries too!

Please keep us informed about this downloads explosion, it give us all hope :wink:

its a matter of luck. not all apps get this kind of exposure. yesterday I was reading somewhere techcruch or ted that only 10% apps/games have got 100000 downloads

Currently at 29k Downloads it will slow down now for about 4-5 hours as China is sleeping. I expect to finish on about 31/32k downloads for the day. I have noticed an increase on some of my other apps too so looks good. But yeah what javaexp has said it is complete luck and randomness, like I said earlier I have not done anything to make it happen and it is not a GOOD app.

But that being said if I didn’t do anything for this to happen and it has then it could happen to anyone ;).

How old is the app?

Released on the 6th of feb, here is a look at it’s daily downloads since release.

I’m also at 32k now today so I’m going to exceed my downloads by quite a bit more than I thought.

So its a new app, i think that condition definitely played a crucial role in this “miracle” :wink:

Granted it will help as it will still be in New Releases… but a jump from 300 to 19k in a day? In a single country? I’ve seen other New App’s I’ve made have high downloads but it’s always a gradual increase!

did you translate the app?

Only the store page and then within the app the title.