LeadBolt after 1 week

So my results here are coming from the average app. Not a 1000 downloads a day app. I usually generate about 5000 admob impressions a day. Not very many. And I have the perfect spot to put an interstitial ad. So I put one in and waited a week so that most of my player base was running this version. So far I’m quite disappointed. The LeadBolt ads should match my tapfortap ads. One tapfortap at the beginning. Then one LeadBolt at the end of the game. But I receive 10x the tapfortap hits than LeadBolt. My friend who’s hooked on my game told me that the LeadBolt overlay only appears once in a while. I could never recreate this, it always appeared in my testing.

And so far after one week I’ve yet to earn a single penny of revenue from the second most annoying ad in mobile gaming. I contacted then regarding the impression count and lack of revenue and they pushed me to use their notification ad instead of an overlay. Which makes no sense to me. My game gets 30 downloads a day. I’m not Draw Something where I can put in notification ads and shrug off the bad reviews. My second hope was that the annoyance would push people into purchasing the game and removing the ads. But I’ve only had moderate success there. So i’m going to look for some alternatives. Anyone else had success with other types of interstitial ads?

I don’t think, that very annoying ads will drive users to buy the game - indeed, I think it’s inverse.
The worst thing which can happen is, that users hate you because of some reason. A very annoying ad can be such a reason.

Have you tried making your own pseudo-interstitial? I am thinking of the big rectangle banners with a skip button at the bottom which is styled in game graphic. Users may feel not “interrupted” that heavy.

You could make a loading screen, showing the rectangle, after loading user have to click “next”. That would be no interruption just because of showing an ad … many benefits of that usage.

That’s actually how it works. Loading screen, then the ads pops up with an X to close it. When you close the game resumes. I didn’t want to make it too annoying, like u said.

So I waited until most of my active users were running the version with the leadbolt interstitial. And I’m going to be dropping the ad. What do you guys run for interstitials?

I just found it rather suspicious that I get around 3500 tapfortap impressions a day on a single ad that appears before the game. The leadbolt ad appeared at the end and yesterday it has 30 impressions. The game most people play in mine is short and timed. I find it hard to believe 3470 games were being backed out of before they were completed.

Do you still have it enabled? I just tried it and didn’t see any Leadbolt ad at the end - just T4T in the menu screen and adMob during the game. Plus some obnoxious interstitial somewhere in between. And a scoreloop login prompt.

Maybe it’s just Leadbolt has very low fillrate right now? That would explain low number of impressions.

Yup, it’s enabled. I believe it is that obnoxious interstitial you mentioned. Appears just before the reward screen. Idea was that before you see your reward you have to see the annoying ad and don’t just hit back to avoid it. I didn’t use the full screen interstitial Leadbolt offers, I just used that overlay. The Full screen interstital has no close or back button and I didn’t want to enrage the few users I have. :slight_smile:

I happened to click the t4t accidentally a few times - this may also be some factor. It’s located in a playable area so many of the clicks are purely accidental.

dumb question, but have you tried switching them just to see, if you get the same results …

It may be possible that most of the users does not reach the end…

I hope that’s not the case, but I suppose it is possible. Yesterday I had over 10,000 admob impressions, 3500 tapfortap and 30 leadbolt. If that many people didn’t like my game and quit before the end, you’d think I’d have a couple crappy reviews by now.

Leadbolt emailed me and suggested I put the ad at the beginning before the game starts, rather than the end. Which is a pretty good idea, so I think I’ll try that.
[hr]

In my game? I only have t4t ads in the menu’s. Clicking them accidentally shouldn’t effect whether the leadbolt ad displays or not.

It always displayed in all my tests. And those impressions were being counted properly. A friend of mine who plays my game told me that it often doesn’t appear for him. I can’t explain that. Nor has he demonstrated it to me so I can’t verify if this is the case.

When users are quitting an app, they tend to 2 behaviours;

hammering the back button like a hobbit on coffee (my technique, merely because I am a hobbit on coffee xD)

or

pressing home (my girlfriend does it like this always)

in either cases, your leadbolt will not get shown. In the first case it is closed too fast in the second your app is not closed at all :wink:

Lol, Yup. Next week when I’m back from holidays ill put that ad at the beginning rather the end. That should solve it

I have runned the leadbolt App Wall for almost half a year now in a small app and be able to compare them in revenue.

http://www.reiti.net/personal-blog/blog/135/leadbolt-vs-admob

After all, the App Wall generated TWICE the revenue of the admob banner

Nice.
Do you know how much time average user spend in your app? I guess this would have big influence on those results. I’d guess app wall would have bigger impact in apps used just briefly over heavy-use apps when banners keep changing and trying to get attention while ‘new apps’ buttons stays the same.

Can you share some numbers? CTR / CPC? I’m considering adding appwall to my high-scores screen, would be interesting to know how it looks in reality.

No, i cannot tell, because I do not track it.

I do also not know the user behaviour about the app wall - it could be possible if an app is used on a regular base, that users will have a look in the app wall several times, depending on what they see - but that is more a guess.

The mentioned app gets ~1000 banner impressions per day with ~200 active installs (5-10 daily installs) - so the app IS used. Clicks on App Wall are low, but CPM is not so bad :slight_smile:

Definitely it will differ in results for different apps - but that extra button does not hurt, and it more or less seems, that users do not complain about it because it is very passive

I used the same app Wall linking off a “More Games” button on my main menu page. So far it hasn’t generated any money. But I’ll keep it there.

The AppWall for my behaves a bit strange … there are multiple days (up to over a week) with no revenue at all - and between there are days were suddenly there is some revenue … not sure if that is user behaviour or just like the appwall does “count”

overall, it’s a bit hard to “believe” their stats, they just do not seem right in timing, maybe that’s technically. at the end, what counts is the result and that looks better than with banners alone.

In the end, it doesn’t hurt and is easy to implement (cause no sdk needed)

Ya just launching that html link is quite easy. How many impressions do u get from the wall?

~10 per day (compared to 30-50 imps for the banner)

edit: it’s not 1000 a day, i was wrong

Most days I get 0, some days there’s 2 or 3. Never more. I get about 5 - 10 downloads a day and about 9000 banner impressions. But I use a fast refresh, I believe you run it at 120s

just had look at it … surprisingly i use NO refresh at all in this app … so I’ve screwed my numbers … so 1000 imps is very wrong! omg … it is much lower xD … will update my post :slight_smile:

fixed: there are 30-50 banner impressions a day, because there is no auto refresh, that is also the amount of app starts per day. The AppWall get’s around 10 views per day, so it is clicked every 5th app start or something like that :wink:

sorry for the mistake, I failed to read the right report xD