IAP to remove ads - What do with "More games" button?

About to release a game that features IAP.
One IAP is to remove ads.
I have a “More Games” button integrated with the main menu.
Do I disable the more games ads from loading if the user has purchased the “remove ads” IAP?

Technically it is not an ad in the sense that the user can decide if it is ever shown.
In this way the user will only click on that button if they wish to see more games.
Then again, it is technically an ad, an ad they paid to remove.

I was considering changing the button to load my own games in this case. But my other games just aren’t on the same level as this game, so I am not taking that route.

What do you guys think? Still load the more games ad if the user clicks on it?
Or should I just change it to a dead button?

I think the button should disappear if the user buys a “Remove all Advertising” IAP, because this IS advertising. But the “more apps” Buttons are quite useful for some users and they could miss it.
That’s why I would go with a slightly different approach. I would sell an IAP that provides access for two checkboxes that are currently disabled (but visible in the settings screen!): “[ ] Disable Banner/Interstitial Ads”, “[ ] Disable more Apps Button”.
That way you make clear that this feature exists (generally more visibility for IAPs) and the action would be reversible.

EDIT: Another benefit might be, that the user senses more control over something he paid money for. We don’t want them to know that we are the ones controlling them! :wink:

My opinion: When the user pays to remove ads, what he really wants to purchase is a distraction free and interruption free experience. A “More Games” button is neither a distraction like a banner ad nor an interruption like an interstitial. He doesn’t have to press the button if he doesn’t want to. So I’d probably just keep it.

Good point! But how do you define “distraction”? A Button can be a distraction, even if it’s just a visual one. Especially if the button has no value for me!
I know this is total hairsplitting, but the question is, if google (and the user) sees it the same way. And that depends on the description you provide for the Item. Of course you want to keep the button! But does your description for the item permit that?

Imagine a game without a “more games” button but banner/interstitial ads. Now you buy the item to remove ads but a “more games” button appears. Shouldn’t be a problem, because it “is neither a distraction like a banner ad nor an interruption like an interstitial”…
I bet users would go crazy. Now they will see it as distraction, why wouldn’t they do it when it is there before the purchase?

I think if the “more games” button is flashy, it should be taken out. However, if the “more games” button is somewhere in the menu screen, then perhaps it is ok. Since the “more games” button routes to other games made by other developers, it is considered an ad. I know EA Games does this however only advertises their own games (which makes it ok).

Hope this helps.

Sure, if you want to be 100% safe, you can call the IAP “Remove banner and interstitial ads”, or mention that in the description.

For the second part, I think it depends on where you put the button. If it’s pervasive and takes up screen real estate during the whole app lifecycle, then it’s a distraction. Even worse if it’s an exit dialog or something. But if it’s in the side menu, options screen or even in the start menu, I doubt that users will complain.

I leave it in my Apps. It also tends to be quite profitable since users who pay for an IAP tend to be the most willing to later go look for further apps.

Yeah I think I will put that sort of thing in the item description. The button itself is flush with the main menu and is only as prominent as the Credits and Achievements buttons. The “play” button is much more prominent.

Thanks for the engaging discussion, you’ve made very valid points.

A More Games button should stay if you ask me. It doesn’t interfere with the user’s actions and there will be no complaints about it.

I agree and I don’t, all it takes is one idiot to get really pissed and complain, why not just link to your apps under more apps? Do you really need to make additional money beyond the IAP, seems excessive

Linking to other games or to your own games doesn’t really matter for the users because they don’t know which games are who’s. So the impact on the users will be the same. But in terms of revenue, it matters to the developer.

In my case its because I don’t feel my other games would really make sense being featured in this one. I’m not trying to milk the users for every penny.
Besides if you’re going to show your own games instead of others, then how is that different for the user?
You’re letting them decide to look at some games that they may or may not be interested in. You’d benefit from your games being installed via the screen, but you’d also benefit from other developer’s games being installed. The user ultimately ends up with the same thing in each case. I can understand that users may be more inclined to view your other games if they really enjoy the one in question, but they can do that on Google Play anyway.

I think it OK if you link to your game

I’d also go with keeping the button, as long as it’s not too flashy.
In my experience, I only got 1 bad review because in one of my apps I forgot to remove a “more apps” button, but that was only 1 comment. It seems most of the users are brinwashed with ads and don’t really care. @A1ka1inE : please give us a feedback in a few days about how this IAP is doing !
In my experience, I was a little disappointed by it, I was expecting users would buy it a lot, and in fact, not really. I even made a “special pack” with remove ads + some currency for a small price, and it doesn’t really work. It seems users don’t really care about non intrusive ads (banners/interstitials).

I had added “Remove Ads” option on 4th Jan,2014 in my Free App.
Till today, i got 24 orders and total revenue from orders is $40

But I Got?

• extra $40, which is really not very impressive and i get this money with in 3 days from Ads.

But I lost?

• IAP is full of bugs and does not work flawless with all the devices.
  • Few devices are crashing on IabHelper.StartUp. i have no clue why.
  • Giving bad impression for new users
  • App is crashing left and right when user trying to purchase.
  • In 80-905 cases IAP is working fine. but for rest it is crashing.
  • Frequent users are using ads-free version and decreasing the daily revenue

Bottom Line?
“Remove Ads” Order does not add up any impressive growth in daily revenue. I will try for another 1 week and may remove the option after re-reimbursing paid users.

Please share your views on this.

could you dive into details if it was worth it or not? I am trying to decide if I should add this function or just forget about it.