Notification Spam is coming to an End

Android 4.3’s New Notification Service: Read, Dismiss, And Press Action Buttons From Other Apps; Imagine The Wearable Computing Possibilities!

Pretty soon Apps (AntiVirus etc) will be able to remove notification ads from spammy apps.
Party over guys at least now try to build a real business rather than building a business based on spamming your customers.

lol @billyh what a dramatic and incorrect interpretation of this article. imo this will have zero impact on notifications – users can already Mute notifications with 1 click starting with jellybean.
i actually think this is a great move for Android – at one point i wanted to build an app which better organizes and adds features to the notification tray, but i was frustrated with how little access to the notification tray the Android API provides. looks like that will change !

Thats a good move by google…
Now users will know which app is producing which ads. I had ditched push ads couple of months ago for this reason…If this is true they can’t say my app is mimicking system notifications…
there will be name of the app with each push…
This move gives me more courage to use push-ads in my apps.:slight_smile:

@amalvj123 both Airpush and Leadbolt already tag each ad with the name of the app, and also ever since JellyBean you can long-press any notification to see what app is showing it and also mute the pushes from that app. not sure if any users know about the long-press feature, but it’s been there for a while ! :wink:

this is why i don’t have a problem using leadbolt notifications. Well that along with the EULA and their opt out system in general.

Also funny shows billyh definitely isn’t a developer… Vitriolic attacks mixed with ignorance in the OP is a dead giveaway.

Started developing android apps over an year ago and been using Jellybean for a month now and this is news for me…:smiley:
Will check it out on the next push that i receive…thanks for the info…

well I have and still seen pushes without app name from airpush and leadbolt…sometimes you can see the app’s package name in really small letters at the bottom…

Sounds like you think you spammers are the only developers in the world. It just show low your knowledge is.

no. You haven’t understood what i have said. Your definition of spam is wrong. It does exist, but not as you describe it. Advertising has many forms that are not spam. You have a one man crusade to attack anyone that uses notification/push or icon. As i said before it just shows ignorance for how many types of apps there are and how developers make money from their work. If you don’t agree with an ad model then don’t use it. But don’t alter the definition of words because of your opinion.

For instance i don’t use ads on a timed basis during game play. Others do, but its just not my way of doing things. I can tell you I am not going to go screaming all over calling them spammers for it. That is just dumb and only my opinion of how i use ads.

I am done trying to explain it to you. You are totally unwilling to understand the above points.

Good day sir.

Every AntiVirus software thinks you are a spammer. That should prove I am right that you are spammers.

This thread is bad interpretation. YES! I AM SPAMMER, RICH SPAMMER! Pushing notifications for 1,5 year, live from it, eat, drive in car bought from notification, live in house from notifications. You are poor guy, so fck off. Airpush, Leadbolt + other notification network + startapp have 16% of market. It’s 112 000 apps. We all are spammers. Enjoy :wink:

LOL, loved your post eheh

@ramzixp your post was one of the most hilarious things i’ve read in a while. thank you.

LOL @ billyh,

You aren’t making many friends on this forum…its clear you aren’t a developer nor understand the ecosystem. Throw in the towel Billyh before you make yourself sound even dumber.

I don’t need Spammer friends. I am very glad to know a few spammer hate me.

A spammer can only build a business that makes peanuts :). Its funny that spammers think they are only ones who make money on an open platform. You guys are pathetic.

This discussion seems to be digressing from the actual point, and turning into a flame war. How about we try to avoid calling people spammers, and discuss the ads themselves.
@billyh Could you provide some of the specific reasons you consider push notifications to be spam?

1. Because they are based on the fact that no one reads a long EULA.
  2. Because they provide ads when apps are not used.
  3. Because they bring in low skilled developer with no ethics to Android ecosystem (The fact that you have threads in this forum on how to create accounts when they get banned because of illegal practices should tell you where this forum and these developers are moving to).
  4. Because most advertisers who use push ads are into shady practices (See the thread on TapContext).

Hope this helps. No one other than developers who use push ads think they are not spammers. AntiVirus companies are calling them as spammers. Do we need further proof?

All the things you just listed have been previously debated earlier in the thread.

Anyway, so what if another developer uses push ads. What’s it to you? How does it affect you in the slightest?
No one here is looking for recognition or approval from anyone.

If you feel so inclined then that’s your opinion and that’s fine.
However that does not give you the right to then label and insult others based on your beliefs in a public forum, especially when we are all here to help one another.

1. That’s their problem. People don’t read the fine print in every industry.
  2. So? Don’t like it, uninstall the app.
  3. Uhh no… because if an app is crap then everyones going to uninstall it, then no notifcations, no money.
  4. Yeah ok, Running banners is so 1999 to be honest, it has crap CTR, Crap CPM, and it’s the old school way of advertising.

Also…you do realize google bans legitimate apps on the daily right? I can easily go find a few devs who are LEGIT and don’t do push but had their apps deleted. But yet some “Boobie” app gets left up while a legit app gets removed. Give me a break.

Yeah so what anti virus companies call us spammers, They can go fuck themselfs

Bottom line - most users are too cheap to buy the ads free version of the app $1.99 thus they download our free apps that have ads. If you don’t want ads pay the fee…its as easy as that. Us developers need a way to make a living too. In a perfect world where unicorns exist and no bills we would all develop apps as our “hobby” and offer all our premium apps with no ads for free.

if you don’t agree with the ads then uninstall the app and pay the fee.

stop your complaining.