Best IAP solution for my game

I have a game that is basically a Mahjong where people use gems they collect through different levels to pay for ability to use undo, stop time, reshuffle etc. It works but is far from ideal and doesn’t bring much money (the IAP probably puts a lot of people off). I wonder how could I change it to the better - for example I’m considering adding a small dialog before every game where you choose what abilities you want (for example you get one reshuffle for free and can add a few more paying with gems). That way people would lose gems faster. :slight_smile: Also I use gems to unlock later levels but I’m not sure if it’s a good solution…

I think using IAP to unlock levels is a better idea than unlocking abilities. That way the users feel like they a paying for something that you actually worked to produce. I think the idea of giving them a free ability is good too, I see where a lot of apps that offer abilities/resources and such with IAP often start the user with a small amount of free gems/currency.

There are several options:

• paid new content (means you need to create it, which is a PITA)
  • paid new abilities
  • combination of the above

The ideal situation is:

• you want content auto-generated, so you don’t have to
  • most IAP should be consumable so the user needs to keep buying it
  • Profit!!!111!

Thanks. The auto-generated is sth I’m working on, consumables already work, but I’m too bored with that particular game to make new content. Thanks for those suggestions.

Candy Crush Saga has some IAP that are super high priced (i.e. $25+). These IAPs typically give you an ongoing advantage, such as (in your game) 1 free shuffle every level.

1 free shuffle - good idea. Right now people don’t get any free shuffles, all cost gems in my game. Candy Crush Saga is from those who made Bubble Witch Saga - they have insane prices but are already very popular, so they can I think. :slight_smile:

Depends on what kind of developer you want to be.

While I understand that you want to make money, charging for power ups might make users hate you.

The best option, IMO is to charge to unlock levels. Maybe 0.99 for a few levels or 5.00 for the whole game.

That’s how I would do it.

I have been thinking about various ways to get people to use the GetJar “payment” scheme - i.e. they pay up to $1.00 worth to unlock various features of the app (remove ads etc.).

I don’t have access to Google Checkout in my location, so things like GetJar/SponsorPay etc. are the only way to “charge” users at the moment.

Apart from other issues:

• issues with GetJar being slow - it is now faster
  • the app itself not being good
  • or the features I offer not that needed by users (maybe ads are ok with them)

There seems to be a general problem with in-app billing:

• users are unlikely to seek out in-app billing UNLESS it impedes their progress in the game/app - perhaps this is the reason behind some folks here suggesting that it is better to unlock levels than features - while they say it is because the levels make people feel like new content etc. - there is also a sense that user CANNOT PROCEED further without access to that level, so an immediately need exists at that point to unlock the level (for dedicated users - so yes, you ALSO need to have dedicated users in the pipeline who by day 2 or 3 are STILL using that app and have gotten to level 10 and now want level 11).

• with GetJar in order to extract any reasonable revenue like $1.00 (developer gets $0.9, GetJar gets $0.1) - you have to have the user earn 100 gold coins (which can mean anywhere from 8 to 10 app downloads). That makes 100 gold coins quite a lot of effort for users - i.e. download nearly 10 apps ! (actually even 5 is not too bad for savvy users as they can just put 5 of them queued in a row to download).

So the question becomes HOW do I reduce the barrier-to-entry effort for users to use GetJar ?

One could break down that $1.00 into smaller chunks - for various features. And maybe offer a discounted “unlock all features” option that has a discount attached to it.

Another is to keep reminding the user (perhaps in a dialog box that immediately follows every full screen ad you show - that here is a way to remove ads). This will increase conversion to user clicking on GetJar - however it will piss off users also, but perhaps that will aid in the effort (?)

However the 5 or 10 apps to download is a big barrier.

Could one then consider doing a “metered usage” model for the app - i.e. taking a cue from the “free coins” stuff many apps use i.e. award the user 100 coins at the start which get used up as they use the app.

Then when they have used that up, they are shown the Free Upgrade screen - where they can get 100 coins more for perhaps something as low as just $0.1 (i.e. 10 GetJar gold coins or equivalent to just one app download) - now that should be easy enough right (?).

And have this continue.

Or also give them the option to buy infinite coins - or never need to get more coins - by paying 50 GetJar gold coins in one go.

A variant could also award the user 10 coins every day (or every consecutive day that they use the app) - this way they don’t HAVE to do the Free Upgrade. It may also save you from the Google requirement to not limit the use of an app etc. - but that itself may highlight the actual value of the Free Upgrade to the user i.e. “I save having to keep running the app every day to earn the coins which make the app work” etc.

Any suggestions or pointers to crack this in-app billing nut would be welcome.

The situation is not too different from Google in-app billing. However, it may in fact be slightly easier with GetJar (or should be - which is why I am thinking there SHOULD be some way to get the right balance which makes it work).

In-app billing works in games - but seems to work in games which are using not unlock features etc. - as that seldom seems to move users (?) - but seems more effective in situations where lack of in-app purchase is seriously limiting the further progress of the user (or conversely in a “positive” sense that in-app billing gives them a huge leg up over the competition).

We put together an eBook on IAP that may help out. It covers how to design for IAP, sell IAP, and different marketing strategies that can go along with it. The App Developer’s Guide to In-App Purchases - An Apptopia eBook - Apptopia Inc.

$1/10=$0.1 Are You kidding??? $0.1 per app install- it’s a robbery- run away! It’s better to use Admob, then get $0.1 per install :frowning: