30-day "New App" Window - Paid v Free

If I release both Free and Paid versions of my app, do they each get a separate 30-day window to be listed considered a “New App”?

Given that my Free version will have a In-App-Purchase to Upgrade to the equivalent of the Paid version, if they each get a separate time window to be considered a “New App” I would be very tempted to release my Paid version 15-30 days after my Free version to maximize the download boost that new apps get.

Sound good? Thoughts?

That’s an interesting idea. As far as Google Play is concerned, your Free and Paid versions are both separate apps. So if you release them 30 days apart, they will get a combined total of 60 days in the new app category.

But keep in mind that “Top New Free” and “Top New Paid” are separate sections. So there’s no guarantee that just because your free app does well in the charts, so will the paid version.

If I were you, I’d probably release them about 15 days apart. That seems like a good compromise, and people who downloaded your free app on day 1 might still be interested enough to come back & download the paid version.