Very expensive apps: less sale but more income?

I noticed some high priced apps in the Play store (19.90 euro’s and more), for a couple of video lessons. I thought it over and think there is something to it. If people really want the app, they will buy it, as it is the price of a book, or a T-shirt. Your sales rates will go down, but you make much more money. I think Keynes has thought this all over and calls this ‘price elasticity’. I think that app prices are very low. 15 years ago people paid 600 dollars for Wordperfect 5.1, and that was considered normal. Who has experimented with the pricing of his/her apps? What are the opinions about low/high pricing?

Its hard to price high an app when there is almost always a free substitute, specially for games. Besides, the actual trend is the freemium model, where you give the player a limited (in terms of features, time, speed, etc) free access to your app and then charge him for the special features he wants. Is it much easier to ask them for money when they already try and like your app :wink: