Poor Google Play Store Sales / Downloads

Hi All,

I’m fairly new to the Android Marketplace and I’ve been trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong before I make any other mistakes. At this time, I’ve released three paid Apps and two Freemium Apps to the Google Play store:

2013-11-13 - “Trailer Park King” Android [RELEASED]
2013-12-10 - “DERP of DUTY” Android [RELEASED]
2013-12-23 - “DERP of DUTY (Free)” Android [RELEASED]
2014-01-01 - “Trailer Park King (Free)” Android [RELEASED]
2014-01-06 - “Trailer Park King Episode 2” Android [RELEASED]

All of these games have been ported from the Xbox (where they did fairly well), the are, edgy, store based point & click adventure games. I understand the this may create somewhat of a polorized market and there is nothing I can do about it since they are ports. That said, the games are fairly polished and should be doing better IMO. Please don’t beat up on my about the games, do you best to help me understand what I’m doing wrong.

Here are some specific questions:

1. I’m noticed the first few week or so that there are hardly any sales? Is this normal if you can’t get lots of press coverage?
  2. Is the paid game model just not the way to go on Android?
  3. The games are very related and I’m not seeing a lot of synergy between the games?
  4. What is the best category for these types of games? And why?

Generally, I’m looking for help and advice.

Many Thanks

Sean

You have quite low scores. Are you sure the games work OK on all devices? For paid apps rating is more important (people are afraid to buy something with low rating). Look into crash reports and reviews (if there are any).
Ad. 2. Most games just don’t sell on Android. It’s better to try with freemium here or paid+free combination.

The games have a lot of edgy humour and don’t appeal to a certain segment of the population (basically, people who think against partial nudity and crude humour). As such, the reviews are very polarized, lots of 5 stars reviews and lots of 1 star reviews.

There have only been a one or two crash reports per game. Its hard to know if the games work on all devices since there are so many devices. I can tell you they won’t work on devices that can’t support a texture size of 2048 pixels.

As for the Freemium Games, I’ve start releasing freemium versions of the games, but they are only getting around 75 - 100 downloads per day at the moment. That seems like a pretty low number to bother with in game Ads and such.

Any more thoughts?

Consider getting into other stores besides Google Play where there is less competition. Have a look at CodeNgofor help with this or PM me.

Make sure the apps are flawless first.