Any good Leaderboard

Hi,

I would like to add a leaderboard/achievement function to my new game.
And a I want to ask if anybody got experiences about a good leaderboard sdk?

I search the internet and I found these sdk-s:

In my last game I used OpenFeint, but now it is migrated into Gree, and the old sdk not always work perfectly (sometimes I can’t see the leaderboards etc.). I take a look to the new Gree sdk, but it looks like the players have to register, and I don’t want to bother my users with this.
In the old OpenFeint sdk the player automatically got a random account and if he wants, he can register himself later.

So, any experience would be good about the Scoreloop or the Swarm.

Thanks,
5tr4u55

I use Swarm in one game but it seems to have increased the number of crash reports, I also had a problem with Amazon AppStore because of them (they link to Google Play which is forbidden on Amazon). Their API and support is great though.
Was OpenFeint adding sth to your game (more downloads, etc.)? I personally hate online leaderboards, so I think twice before incorporating them into any of my games.

I’m really interested in this question too. Did openfeint bring downloads with the “social network” approach ?

I don’t have too much download for my game (~3800 total) yet, and from this ~500 user used OpenFeint. So I think not too much downloads came from their social network activity :slight_smile:

But I like highscores, because I think the gamers like to compete each other, they say “if this guy can make this highscore, i can do it too”. So it makes the game interesting.

And yeah this “social network” stuff comes handy to market the app, but you must have a certain userbase first to work.

I also tried OpenFeint but didn’t like it. I then incoorporated Scoreloop in two of my games and i must admit its been fun. I like them because of the following reasons:
1 . They have a very good documentation.
2. Excellent support staff.
3. Community app market can give your app some good downloads.
4. Awesome Features: I love the achievements and head to head Challenges. Also, you can dig into their demo app and make modification even to the UI.
The list is endless… So, i would definitely recommend Scoreloop!

I wrote my own. But I needed something really specialized.

ie:

• everything synchronized to a single timer
  • 5 second window to submit hundreds of scores = many servers
  • leaderboards totaled for that game 5 seconds later
  • 5 seconds after that, ranked leaderboard available for that game
  • custom data attached to each player (country, best word, number of words/etc)
  • extended to last hour, day, week, month leaderboards too

Thanks to your experiences, I think I check the Scoreloop.

@Babuye - You wrote in the Scoreloop the “Community app market” can generate some good downloads. Have you got some statistics about it? I’m really curious :slight_smile:

Unfortunately there are no statistics but generally i have many users who have written to me saying they saw the app via their friends in the Scoreloop Social network. A user can add as many friends as possible and once you do that they can recommend the app to another user.
Secondly, on the main page of the scoreboard leaderboard there is the icon that leads to social market. There users can see recently released games, popular games and their friends’s games. This also helped alot. I may not have data to support this but i believe that the scoreloop social market can give your app some good exposure.

I found Scoreloop quite easy to use. I had a little issue with figuring out the custom format for leaderboards (because I used a “lowest score wins” model), but apart from that it was pretty intuitive.

I just opted for their default UI, although there is plenty of facility to interact with the API yourself if you’d prefer a custom display of leaderboards & the like.

I found it always more confusing all about that monetization like ingame currencies and such things … are they allowed when using google play store or are they not … ?

Pretty curious about that because score loop also offers such functions in their sdk … they talk about providing different payment providers, so I am curious and just signed up … maybe I will implement THAT in my just announced game Worm Puncher (coming soon) … scoreloop looks like they offer really many functions …

UPDATE: Just walked trough their setup process and you can use Google Play In App Billing thru scoreloop (seems so) - so that should not be any problem :wink:

I can 8th(?) Scoreloop. I’ve put it in two games and both times the staff has helped me when needed. The default GUI is quite nice and easy to use.

I haven’t calculated the numbers but I’d say around 10% of the people who play have gone through and actually registered with Scoreloop (or were previously) and the other 90% just remain a randomguest