Tapjoy

I’m just curious to see if anyone here has used Tapjoy to give in app points. I see that fake iPhone uses it, but the points don’t really have a use atm. I have a feeling people would use Tapjoy more if there was a reward other than a title.Has anyone used the points for rewards like new weapons or skins? I think this could be a great source of revenue which would be very simple to add new features(Like a new drill in Robo Miner).

That is not that distant as you might think … tapjoy has one really interesting “feature” … it works on every market xD

On the other side … I don’t know how users accept tapjoy … i dont want to force them to install something (for example) - but I do not know much of tapjoy currently … so I would also be interested in developer opinion about them

I’ve used tapjoy for my drinking game drunkgreenrobots. I’ve had ok results with it. I have the game set up where you can either complete tapjoy offers to get points or to do an in app purchase to get the same points. Then with those points you can unlock the extra functions of the game.

Right now I get alot more people willing to pay money than do the tapjoy offers. But it is there for those that want to get the extra content without paying. I think I would make more from tapjoy if they could get more points from 1 offer… but right now I have it set at such a level that they need to complete 2 or 3 simple offers to be able to unlock anything. Simple meaning the offers where all they have to do is download an app… not some of the offers where they have to sign up for something.

But with my small audience I think if I priced things too low I’d make less money. If I had a huge user base or alot more in app content to unlock then I could give away the in app content for .10-.20 and make alot and probably have a higher adoption of tapjoy.

Setting it up was pretty simple. The user doesn’t need to install anything for tapjoy to work in your app. They can install the tapjoy app if they wish and then they can see all the offers and see all the apps they have installed that use tapjoy. And earn points that way. But it will work just showing them an offerwall in your app without them installing anything.

I’m not sure if it would work better or worse if tapjoy was the only way to unlock things. I’ve used it in addition to the in app payments just to give users a choice.

Is it worth? I think so.

Glu talks up Tapjoy as Gun Bros revenue hits $610,000 in first 2 months!

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Gun+Bros/news.asp?c=28012

In my experience (with Fake iPhone and Google+ Invites app) Tapjoy has worked extremely well. Even without actual goods to sell, a lot of people have completed offers just for the “points” value.

For Google+ Invites, there was a definite reward for earning points. Whoever had the most points, would get an invite the quickest. I regularly saw users completing dozens of offers, just to be in first place on the leaderboard.

For Fake iPhone 4S on the other hand, the only reward is to earn “Karma Points” (and support future development). I make this pretty clear up front, and still get quite a lot of revenue from Tapjoy. In fact it’s been my single biggest revenue source to date. I’m running interstitial advertising & Tapjoy in the same app, and Tapjoy makes more than any other individual ad network I’ve used.

So if there’s any chance Tapjoy could work for your app, I’d recommend giving it a go. I’ve been surprised at how much users seem to engage with it. Can’t remember ever getting negative feedback from anyone about Tapjoy.

From what I looked at tapjoy is a great. The only downside this this line of code right here.

<uses-permission android:name=“android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE”/>

That might scare a few people away from your app. But if you put in the description of your app that you don’t save any information you should be fine.

Can’t wait to try it with my game, which will be a while since its still just a piece of paper for now :slight_smile:

READ_PHONE_STATE sounds scary unfortunately, but it’s used for reading the phone/tablet ID in most cases.

I do not understand the reason for it - for such purposes, android has invented “android_id” which is available without any further permission and the usage of the IMEI is unsuitable for identification-purposes, because some tablets do not even HAVE a sim slot and therefore no IMEI neither.

But even WHEN this permission is harmless and we devs know that - the users do not know it - personally I really don’t care much about any permissions at all when installing an app, if someone wants to track me down he can do it with ease and much less effort than writing an app xD

When Google+ Invites was active, I found the ANDROID_ID field didn’t always work. The old field has actually been deprecated now, in favor of Settings.Secure.ANDROID_ID. Even so, it’s not guaranteed to remain constant. If you do a factory reset on your device for example, it will change.

The only reliable way to get a unique device identifier is to use the android.telephony.TelephonyManager.getDeviceId() method, which returns whatever string uniquely identifies the device (IMEI on GSM, MEID for CDMA, etc.) Unfortunately this requires the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. I’d much prefer they had a separate permission “GET_DEVICE_ID” which would more clearly explain what’s actually being asked here.

Of course, it’s still debatable whether ad networks really need a unique ID which is this reliable. But I think in many cases, they’re just going for the easiest, most fool-proof API available. Which is definitely the getDeviceId() method.

where to buy real android app reviews & installs ?