Let's try MoPub

Now I want to try out some adservers - thanks to mind, I stumbled upon MoPub and wanted to give it a try.

Today I gat some time to make a implementation in one of my games (Minesweeper: Unlimited!). Currently I am using a selfmade network switcher with madvertise and admob backfill - cause madvertise is not able to reach the revenue of admob I decided to drop it - and try Mopub instead, so I can spare the complete need for multiple apis.

So I signed up with MoPub downloaded the git repository and lib’ed it to the game and integrated it.

Issue 1: Mopub articles are not always right and are not linked that well and have some bugs or deprecated screen shots.
I recognized that immediatly because they suggest a height of 50px for the view … which is wrong for sure another page mention that right and says 50dips.

Another thing to mention in my case (using admob as backfill) is, that you have to link the admob sdk also - not bad because it’s already in - so I cannot say if that is really all you have to do, but I think so.

I haven’t tried other networks so long and I got their test banner - alright so far.

So then go on to MoPub adding a new network (admob) and being screwed about the fields they want - tried with the publisher ID of my admob app filled in every available field. worked.

No everywhere on MoPub they say you have to create a campaign … screwed again? Do I need a campaign as a publisher? Also I was not able to select “network” from there. Time for a beer.
Logged in - removed the “Demo Campaign” just to see, what happens. Nice, I got a Banner from them xD, so seems it is like I used to know → publishers don’t need campaigns xD

But there is still something strange. Where can I set the RefreshRate? For admob this is what I enter at admob themselfs (i believe) - but where can I set the rate for the mopub ads - IF I can …

screwed … need a beer again xD

Ok - I don’t get it. I may have the complete wrong way of thinking about ads to get on the right way.

Maybe I have a wrong understanding of a campaign - they want me to create a campaign a “guarenteed” one. In my thinking, that is when I want to advertise something but well, let’s see. They say I cannot serve ads without it. I have to enter a period there - why? After saving the first step I should upload a banner WHY? I did it anyway and paused it immediatly.

Surprise! I was able to add a network campaign. Setted it up pressed save … and it disappeared xD

Please! Any user of MoPub around here who can give just a little ToDo List what exactly they mean with a campaign or better: What to do to get their ads and get backfill from admob?

When adding NO campaign (disabling the demo) I DO get ads … they are counted as overall impressions but not as Impressions for the specific ad … screeewed

edit: I actually get google ads …

The basic idea is you have advert sources (from networks) and Apps with “Ad units”.

So, eg:

WordHero is an App. It has Ad units called:

• “320x50 banner add - top”
  • “300x250 medium rect - tablet”
    etc

Then you hook those Ad units up to advert sources (in the ‘Network’ tab).

You can also specify geo-targeting eg:

• 320x50 adds to USA —> Leadbolt
  • 320x50 Euro → Madvertise
  • 320x50 Elsewhere → Admob

Specifying average eCPM for each network will allow you to get advert “fill order”.

So if Network A has an eCPM of $0.15 and Network B has a eCPM of $0.12 … Mopub will try Network A first for an advert.

ok, so I never touch the campaign tab …?

I don’t have anything in campaign’s… no $$$ to advertise :slight_smile:

Played around yesterday and the numbers cleared up :slight_smile:

So to correct this dialog: Setup your account ad the networks - that’s it if you are a publisher xD
If you have to integrate any native SDKs you need to implement them proper - also adding extra activities and such stuff.

So I was fine and will release another version of Minesweeper: Unlimited! with them

I decided to try mopub as well since i had nothing to do at airport and had 15 hours to wait and the monthly income from Madvertise keep staying close to nothing. The integration was quite simple after reiti posted that to stay away from the campaing tab. (Thanks for that :slight_smile: ! ) Which networks are you using? I’m currently testing Mopub, Millenial Media and Admob.

In the fillorder of:

1. Mopub
  2. Millenial Media
  3. Admob

As a point of interest… I have Mopub serving Leadbolt ads to my BlackBerry PlayBook players who play using the Android compatibility layer in the PlayBook.

You can also hook up any network that will deliver adverts via jscript only (eg: Smaato/etc).

Have they any information how to integrate other ad networks which they do not offer for adding - or is it simply, that you just added the custom jscript code?

Tried Millenial also but they need too much permissions and does not work without them…

Hi,

with MoPub the refresh rate can be set in the AdUnit settings. Let’s asume I set the refresh rate to 60 seconds in MoPub. Does anyone know how I have to configure AdMob then?

• should I set the AdMob refresh rate also to 60s?
  • or should I set the AdMob refresh rate to ‘No refresh’?

Cheers!

I would suggest (but I didn’t tried) to set it at no-refresh in admob - because the MoPub SDk should request a new ad. (admob does deliver a new ad, when you request one - no matter what you set as refresh rate)

And because you have to integrate the admob sdk as well, the sdk would also do a refresh, so better set it to no refresh at admob - but again, I didn’t tried it yet because I didn’t found the Refresh in MoPub xD

Makes sense. I think you are right… but I just think so… I do not know :slight_smile: Thank you.

I had the same setting as you 60s on mobup and 60s on admob. Today i did some testing and noticed that after 2 seconds of mobup refresh admob did its own refresh, so i would go with no refresh setting.

Yep… you want to set mopub’s setting and set all the others to ‘no refresh’.

Because I need to wait for approval on different networks I decided to just invest some days more to Minesweeper: Unlimited and implemented now my own highscore service and also improved game quality - so the next update is not only for ads xD

Mopub so far is working quite well as I can see at the moment - sure I have to play around a little bit with the CPM values and such things, but that’s a good thing to learn.

At the start I will go with the default values and watch the real CPMs over some weeks and then configure them in MoPub - I think that’s how it works in the end, so MoPub need this sort of “Indicator” to know which networks deliver what CPM.

Also I signed up with some new networks, just to see how they will perform - except millenial because they need to many permissions which I don’t want to add to my games. I am userfriendly xD

Hopefully the approval at some networks are going fast, so I can make the update for the free version.

Yesterday I released the update of Minesweeper: Unlimited! with MoPub fully integrated and replacing the admob/madvertise combo before.

I also introduced the online highscores to force players to be online during playing xD

This game is not so popular (even when I found it very good) so I do not get stunning numbers there, but hopefully I can gather some experience with MoPub to implement them in my other games as well (Robo Miner would be a good candidate)

So maybe I can give you some experiences very soon :slight_smile:

Question: In my MoPub Report i get views for “Minesweeper Admob Mediation” … does anyone know what that is?

It was auto-created somehow, I cannot edit it and i haven’t created it, cannot shut it off whatsoever - I just wonder what it is, because it is delivering impressions?? (I have no admob mediation anywhere)

Is it possible that those are the adsense ads? (i use native admob api with mopub)

It’s just a few days online, but it seems, that the CTR is much better than with admob. I don’t know how this will reflect in revenue yet, but when I look at the ads I have to admit, that some networks deliver quite nice ads which.

Currently I have integrated mopub, admob, mobfox, inmobi, jumptap and house ads - i spared millenial because their sdk demands permission I do not want to integrate.

Need to watch that over a longer time and adjust the cpms as soon as I know them. I currently work on implementing MoPub in Sholik as well to get some more traffic to them.

In concerns of ad placing I am not completely satisfied, it seems, that it is not possible to align the ads left or right because mopub uses a frameview - I may solve that by giving it a fixed width of 320dips … hopefully that will work with all networks.

Also it is a bit hard to accomplish ads for tablets in conjunction with the different networks. While it is possible to create an adspace for a leaderboard some networks still deliver only 320x50 banners. But well … :wink:

Thanks for documenting your experience here :slight_smile: Now I wanna try MoPub as well! Seems a lot nicer than my custom mediation code at the moment.

I found it pretty useful - especially because you can control which networks to ask for an ad first by giving each network an predefined eCPM. And also define House Ads as backfill (admob lacks that feature)

I haven’t implemented any custom networks so far - so no idea if that is easy or not, they just have a bunch of networks out of the box (madvertise not) but I am pretty sure it is possible to make a little wrapper for the native madvertise sdk very fast.