Java Game Dev

Hey guys, I’m interested in learning how to create games on android. I have been told I should first learn how to create a game on the PC using java. I would like to know how you guys learned how to create games since I’m not really sure where to start. I have taken 2 Java class(and an Android class) at a University so i know Java fairly well, however these classes did not go into much animation and such required for game development. Thanks.

Not sure who told you that. When it comes down to it, especially with games, the platform is mostly irrelevant. Obviously there are performance and interface differences, but I expect you weren’t about to make a AAA first person shooter!

If you want to stick with Java and Android (rather than, say, a cross platform framework), then I’d suggest getting a copy of Beginning Android Games by Mario Zechner. You can get it at apress (I believe there’s a new version out). It’ll give you a good overview of the structure behind a game. Once you’ve done that you could take a look at the framework that Mario provides input to, http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/ It’ll even satisfy the “make it on a PC first” suggestion as you can run your code on a PC as easily as you can on an android device :slight_smile:

Good advice from @falo. The only thing I’d add, is that games are possibly the hardest thing to do well on Android. It’s much easier to write a simple utility app, or a live wallpaper. Building a game requires a lot of preparation, and dedicated work on the graphics, audio as well as the actual programming.

Not to try & scare you off or anything - just make sure you’re aware of how much work you could be looking at! :slight_smile:

If you’re still getting started (i.e. don’t have much Android experience), I’d highly recommend working your way through Google’s tutorials, especially the ones that work with OpenGL. Make sure you’re familiar with the concept of Activities, Intents, Services, etc. It will make life a lot easier once you get started on the serious stuff. Even though libgdx abstracts a lot of this, it’s still important to have a good understanding of the basic Android architecture (not just plain Java).

Thanks for the help guys. I bought the book and it looks really good. I have developed one application (a sound board) and I’m working on new type of Twitter app do know the basics of android development. Don’t worry you didn’t scare me off in aware about of work goes into making a game.

Whatever you do, ensure you know what your goal is BEFORE you start.

eg: I want to:

1. Learn Android frameworks
  2. Write a game
  3. Make money from Android

In my case, it looked like this:

1. Learn Android
  2. Make a highly addictive game

I failed to add (3) and prioritize it correctly. This resulted in a game that was HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY addictive, but has taken 8 months and 29 version updates before it started making any money.