Discount in app price

I Was just wondering, how do you specify a discount on your paid app in Google Play?
Is it just a matter of changing the price and after the discount period ends put a new price on the app?

Yep - that’s the way I do it. Just yesterday I tried changing the price on one of my apps, and it came into effect immediately. There’s no way to specify a “discount” per se, so all you can do is change the price manually.

I have seen some people actually upload a new icon & promo image, with a “discount” banner overlaid. But again, there’s no way to do this automatically.

If you’re reducing the price, I’d recommend at least putting a notice at the top of your app’s description. That way people might be inclined to buy it, just because they’re getting a limited special deal :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s what I thought. Thanks!
Now to finish my app haha :wink:

Just a quick follow up question. Is it necessarily to put a price in every currency?

There’s a pretty good explanation on the Google Play Help page. Some key points:

You set the price for each app separately in each currency. The prices you set in one currency are completely independent of prices in other currencies.

You cannot target a particular country without entering a price. If you select Auto Fill, Google Play will populate the other currency fields with a converted price based on your home currency price. The autofill price is provided for your convenience only – you may choose to use it or set your own price. The autofill conversion uses the daily exchange rate on the day that you set the price; it does not float.

So basically, yes. You do need to put a price for every country you want to sell the app in. Personally, I want to sell the app in as many countries as possible so I fill in all the fields :slight_smile:

I normally run the autofill to get basic prices for all the countries, and then tweak the values a bit to come up with “nice” round numbers. For example, if my app is $2.99 in Australian Dollars, I’ll put $2.99 USD as well (even though they’re not exactly the same).