Will changing ad model upset users?

Hi,

My app Morse Player has been on the market for a month now. I’ve seen a slow steady rise in installs, but my ad requests/impressions are not growing. Currently, I have a 72% retention ratio, which is has dropped from 84% the first week.

I tried to make the ads unobtrusive, but I think I went overboard. There is way for a typical user to open the app, start it playing then stick it in their pocket, listen and never see an ad. I didn’t want to overwhelm my users with ads, but I wanted them to see at least one when they ran the app. My wife says I gave away too much for free and she’s probably right.

So if I change the ad model to show ads more frequently will I drive users away? Maybe this is an app where ads won’t work as well due to its nature.

Thanks,
Dave

I think that’s natural, I have the exact same issue. Depending on the app, its normal for people to get bored with it or forget about it. I’ve noticed that when I release an update my impressions go up for a few days. So i started making minor additions to my app and release an update every week or so and impressions have increased slightly.

I made changes to where adverts were positioned (top vs bottom) in an update and had zero complaints. CTR went up though :slight_smile:

Watch out that you are not showing adverts when the users are not looking at the screen. This will force your CTR downwards and mean you get sent adverts that pay less on a CPC basis.

Be careful when showing/hiding ads frequently - every show/hide will lead to a new impression

Yes I think both of those things are occurring. Its currently hiding the ad when the user is navigating to a new activity. Then when they come back, the ad is gone. I’m going to put out an update soon to change this behavior. Hopefully soon, but my day job is a bit overwhelming right now. I’ll see how it goes with the behavior change.

Thanks for the input.

How do yall show/hide your adviews? I have been hiding mine by using View.INVISIBLE and bringing the gameplay layer to the front. This does not make the adview request a new ad. I believe from what I can tell it’s not requesting new ads when setting the AdView to invisible then back to visible.

I’ve been using View.GONE. When I want it to show again I load a new ad request(loadAd). When the ad is received(onreceiveAd), I change the visibility back to View.VISIBLE.

Sounds like were doing similar, but I’m not waiting for adRequest, I just change the view back to visible and View.bringToFront (I’m using Frame Layout). When the ad come back visible it shows the last ad it had on it.

Might want to go with a singleton for the ad layer and grab adverts from that…

What do you mean by singleton for ad layer?