[APP][Free/Paid] Morse Player

I released this app to the market about three weeks ago. Its my first app and I was hoping to get some feedback on it. I’ve had over 300 downloads and I’ve had no comments though the market or through email. I would appreciate some constructive feedback on this.

This app is oriented towards people who know morse code and want to improve their copying skill. It will be a small niche market and the main interest will be from ham radio operators. The app allows the playback of a text file in morse code. Its helped me improve my skill just by my development of it.

Free version with ads:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ddsoftware.cw.morseplayerfree

Paid version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ddsoftware.cw.morseplayerpro

Congratulations on releasing your first app! Sometimes it takes a while to get feedback from users - even on one of my apps with 500K active users, I only get about one email a week with any sort of feedback.

Anyway, I just tried your app, and posted a review on Google Play. I really like the idea, and how this app works. Like many people I learned a little Morse Code as a child, but never really memorized it properly. After just a few minutes of using this app, I was already starting to recognise common letters. I reckon this is one of the best ways to learn Morse Code available. Good work!

Feedback / Ideas:

This app seems to have all the controls it needs, so I don’t have a great deal of ideas for UI improvements. However, I would suggest making a minor update to the Pro version’s description on Google Play. Near the bottom of the description it says “This is the free version…” which can be a little confusing :slight_smile:

Another idea you might want to consider is promoting the Pro version in your Free app. The only place I could find any reference to the Pro upgrade was in the app descriptions on Google Play. Many users are just going to download the free ad-supported version, and never look back at Google Play. They could well forget about the Pro version altogether. I’d suggest adding some kind of link (even in the “About” screen, if you want it to be unobtrusive) which says something like “Upgrade to PRO - Remove the Ads”. This might help increase your sales.

Overall though, great job. It’s a handy app, which I can definitely see a use case for.

Thanks David for your feedback here and the review on Google Play. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the catch on the paid version’s text. I can’t believe I left that in there. It was one of those cut and paste errors.

There are a lot of good ideas on this site. I wish I would have found it before I published my app. I’m going to take your advice and put some kind of prompt to the paid version in the free version.

Thanks again and thanks for an awesome site.

You’re welcome - glad you found some useful stuff here!

It’s definitely good to get the opinion of fellow developers. Different people can bring a whole new range of experiences & insight to the table. Being an independent developer doesn’t necessarily mean doing it alone :wink: