Promo Video - where to buy one

Hi folks, I am considering purchasing a semi-professional “Promo Video” to use with my next app update. I mean a review that has good quality and well spoken English and overall quality is better than “I shoot it with my own, built-in camera”. Are there any contacts / sites / companies you would recommend. Thanks for letting me know.

PS. Feel free to enter info in the poll as well. Thanks.

Hey

You can use freelancer, elance etc…

Videography Jobs and Contests | Freelancer.com

It costs you 300-1000$, depends on quality and your wants.

You should ask mind. His promo videos are as good as they get.

I assume you mean this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaRoi0Q0EHM&feature=player_embedded#t=0

I PM’d you the contact details (so the guy does not get spam email from bots crawling looking for email addresses). He is good, but you will need to give him raw video of the parts of your game you want shown. Use a PC and a video screen capture program and BlueStacks (or adb emulator).

You will also need to write the script for what the video should look like and what happens at what times. It really helps if you have strong ideas and you can clearly put them down on paper (and have done this sort of thing before).

Lastly, it does take a while. Rendering each frame is not fast, and little tweeks sometimes mean redoing a lot of the work.

What happened to the word hero video?

Lol… that was just my wife being video’d by me…

How much does he charge for a video?

Depends on the length of the video and how much work he has to do. The guy is good. He does video SFX for TV adverts for large a-List companies in the country he lives in. Since he lives in the 3rd world, he is relatively cheap by 1st world standards for the quality of the work he produces.

Still… expect to pay between $1000 to $2000 per minute of video…

Wow, $1000 for 1 minute of video seems a lot! I don’t know about this but I believe 1 minute of video can be done in 24-48 hours. I should start learning to do that myself. :slight_smile:

Hahahah… I think you might find you have a LOT to learn! :slight_smile: Just rendering the 1 minute of video takes hours.

I know a little bit about video production, I used Adobe After Effects a few times doing some simple stuff. Rendering a 1 minute video (low resolution) took around several minutes if I am not mistaken. Now it depends on how powerful your computer is, how large the resolution is and how many effects are in the movie. But a few hours for a 1 minute video seems way too much.

I think the tendency is always to look at something and say “well, it should not have cost that much”, or “I know a guy who could do it cheaper”.

I had the same thing with Anagram Hero’s graphics. People here said “my guy could have done all that for 1/10th the price”. So I chatted to the graphics person… and he told me he did not have the skills. So … I take things said here with a grain of salt.

Could I have gotten it cheaper ? Probably. Done to the same quality ? Probably not.

Yes, quality is very expensive. You would have to be very lucky to find someone to do high quality job for a low price. Maybe only if you meet someone that is just starting (so charges less) but has a lot of talent. But often the quality comes from experience.

Exactly! I’ve been working as a motion designer (graphic design, animation, 3D, etc) for nearly 10 years and I always had to deal with clients who wanted it cheaper and quicker, while they don’t have any idea of the time and work it takes to create these videos. And as I often see really good videos being sold at a cheap price, I also see crappy videos being sold as top-notch stuff.

When you are considering to make such investment, I think the best you could do is spare a little time to learn some basic points that’ll help you discern quality, in order to get a product worth your money.

Color palette, design context, composition, animation flow, and uniqueness are things often ignored by someone who isn’t involved in the design industry, however it could make huge difference to the impact your brand will have on the viewer.

Feel free to get in touch if you need some consulting or ask questions. I also might have a solution for those who can’t really afford high prices.

@Ryan: do everyone a favor and take a look at the video I linked for Anagram Hero. Then rate the video on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being commercial quality) and provide a ballpark estimate on how much a VFX company would charge to do it in the 1st world. The only raw video provided was actual screenshots & video of a person playing (ie: logo at start was created by VFX company).

The point of doing this is to establish an upper bound. Because right now people seem to think the upper bound was what I paid (maybe I got ripped off… I don’t know/care, as I was happy with the result :slight_smile:

Sure. I give it a 6 because, while it looks like a generic video template and seems to leave a lot of potential unexploited, it serves well its purpose.

A high-end design company wouldn’t charge under 5k (or even 10k) but the output would be highly superior in terms of design, animation and creativity… but that’s probably too unnecessary for most of us.

What you paid seems about right. I don’t think you got ripped off however I do think you can get something less generic and more in sync with your game for the same price. On the other side if you plan on spending much less, you can still get a good product but you’re taking a risk.

As for the OP, from my experience I think that the video itself won’t do much without a marketing campaing.

if you’re still looking for videos and animations - I’m looking to build up my portfolio in that area so we could work out a deal that suits us both. You pay a fair/low price only if you’re satisfied with the outcome (watermarked preview will be sent). I provide motion graphics - animation part, cannot do the voiceover myself (live in Eastern Europe), unless your app is about Russian submarines and accent from the Balkans fits :slight_smile: However you can shop for a custom professional voiceover on fiverr ($5) and I’ll insert that into the final version of the video, or if voiceover is provided upfront - video syncs to voice. PM me if interested

buy an template from videohive.net , and edit your own
it will save $, and you get quality video