Claiming business expenses

I recently got a gig for Windows, iOS, and Android app QA for 6 months as an independent contractor.

I’m based in the US.

If I already claim home office for my Android development, is it safe to take the standard mileage deduction for my new gig? I feel the gig is close enough to being related to Android development, so they could be considered a client that has to do with my business.

Thoughts?

mileage, meals, and “business trips” to Vegas are all an expense!

Watch it… you really want the contracting to be no more than X percentage of your income. I am NOT a tax adviser, but the general idea is that you don’t want the taxman to be able to claim it was your job and therefore mileage is not allowed/etc. In order to do this, you need significant income from other sources… or you need to be employed by a company that has MANY employees AND a place of business (not a contract staffing company).

Find a good tax guy and chat to him. Even if it costs you a few hundred, it is WAY better (and CHEAPER!) than getting audited every year for the next XX years!

Thanks for the info. I make way more on my own, so that’s not an issue. I’m only taking the gig for referenced experience.